Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for Christmas present.

Options
  • 05-12-2012 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Need to get 2 one for the Daughter and one for the Boss.

Looking at a Kindle Fire for the wife, don't think the HD is that important, does a lot of reading.

For the Daughter looking at around the same money €150 ish or hopefully a bit less, had a look at www.7dayshop.com. anyone got any views om the 10.1 GoClever or the 9.7 Versus, or would a 7" kindle fire be the way to go?

Thanks.

Edit: Daughter is a young teen, has a laptop, not into gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Super5onic

Just looking at this myself for 11 year old daughter. Basic but seems to tick all the boxes and great value

http://forconsumers.blogspot.ie/2012/12/newsmy-newpad-t3-android-tablet-review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I bought a Blackberry Playbook for €179 recently and am very happy with it. I was able to install the Kindle Fire app on it and had no problem accessing my Amazon-purchased books. The Kobo eReader app comes pre-installed, too.

The sound from the speakers is really good. I haven't tried it yet with *.mkv's, but it plays *.mp4's perfectly. In testing it's capabilities I had the movie player, the Kindle app, the Kobo app, the web browser, the calculator, and a file browser all open at the same time and was able to switch between them without any sluggishness.

It has HDMI out on it so you can hook it up to your HD telly and thus turn it into a fully internet enabled TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The_Thing wrote: »
    I bought a Blackberry Playbook for €179 recently and am very happy with it. I was able to install the Kindle Fire app on it and had no problem accessing my Amazon-purchased books. The Kobo eReader app comes pre-installed, too.

The sound from the speakers is really good. I haven't tried it yet with *.mkv's, but it plays *.mp4's perfectly. In testing it's capabilities I had the movie player, the Kindle app, the Kobo app, the web browser, the calculator, and a file browser all open at the same time and was able to switch between them without any sluggishness.

It has HDMI out on it so you can hook it up to your HD telly and thus turn it into a fully internet enabled TV.

mkv files need to be converted but that's easy enough to do. Try simple browser. Very fast on PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Super5onic wrote: »
    Just looking at this myself for 11 year old daughter. Basic but seems to tick all the boxes and great value

http://forconsumers.blogspot.ie/2012/12/newsmy-newpad-t3-android-tablet-review.html

Did you look at the Tablo 7, look like a nice tablet, £69 on www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

cookie1977 wrote: »
    mkv files need to be converted but that's easy enough to do. Try simple browser. Very fast on PB.

It's actually the audio codec AC3 within the *.mkv that is the problem as far as I can tell - PlayBook playing mkv files!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Random question, but is there a web browser on the Kindle??

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Random question, but is there a web browser on the Kindle??

Which Kindle are you talking about - Kindle Fire, Kindle eReader, Kindle app.

All of the above have the ability to browse and buy from Amazon's website.

If you meant to ask does the BlackBerry Playbook have a web browser, then the answer is yes and it is flash enabled for Youtube, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Which Kindle are you talking about - Kindle Fire, Kindle eReader, Kindle app.

All of the above have the ability to browse and buy from Amazon's website.

If you meant to ask does the BlackBerry Playbook have a web browser, then the answer is yes and it is flash enabled for Youtube, etc.

Cheers.. Meant the Kindle Fire.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

kindle fire has a browser,i think the nexus 7 tablet is better,200euros in irish shops, i was in carphone ware house ,they had nexus,and another 7 inch tablet not a famous brand name 100 euros, it looks ok,.nexus 7 gets great reviews ,good battery life.runs the latest android os.
    see
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/department/Tablets/328

Advertisement