Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The once mighty Dutch league?

• 05-12-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

After seeing them go down 4-1 to Real Madrid last night it has not but made me wonder what has happened to the 4 time european cup winners. It was only back in 1995 that they last won it with the likes of the de boer brothers, overmars, bergkamp and edgar davids in their team and 1996 they reached the final. I find the phenomenon of Ajax quite interesting and I cant help but wonder why they cant compete with europes best anymore and have to keep selling players. I mean with the ultra modern stadium they have and the excellent academy, how are they struggling so much to build a really strong team with a blend of youth and established champions league players??? I also wonder how a club with such a rich history havent been taken over already by some multi billionaire owner like PSG, Anzhi, Man City. Does anybody think the new financial fair play rules will help an Ajax revival??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I cant help but wonder why they cant compete with europes best anymore and have to keep selling players. I mean with the ultra modern stadium they have and the excellent academy, how are they struggling so much to build a really strong team with a blend of youth and established champions league players??? ??

Tv revenue. You could say similar about Celtic. Epl club get something in the region of 50m per year. I think Celtic got 2m last year, and I'd imagine Ajax got a similar amount. Competing with those resources is impossible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

When most teams around europe didnt have foreign experts and had to rely on their home based and developed players Ajax were in their element. Brilliant at bringing through players and instilling a footballing ethos in them that contributed to some of the best players of that time wearing the red and white of Ajax. Now though with the best players from all around the world playing for big spending clubs like Chelsea, City, Madrid, Barca, PSG, Milan etc it can be harder to achieve success and with that financial reward especially when playing in one of the "smaller" leagues (TV revenue as mentioned above being uneven wouldnt help their plight). Unfortunatley money & success affect all then in terms of competing further with the best facilities, coaches & players being able to be attracted elsewhere. Ajax arent doing badly though its just hard to achieve what they did before in this modern era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Tv revenue. You could say similar about Celtic. Epl club get something in the region of 50m per year. I think Celtic got 2m last year, and I'd imagine Ajax got a similar amount. Competing with those resources is impossible

I think it is completely ridiculous how football is monopolised these days with all the bigger clubs getting all the money. I wonder just how much the financial fair play rules will even it all out?

I find the phenomenon of Ajax quite interesting and I cant help but wonder why they cant compete with europes best anymore and have to keep selling players. I mean with the ultra modern stadium they have and the excellent academy, how are they struggling so much to build a really strong team with a blend of youth and established champions league players??? I also wonder how a club with such a rich history havent been taken over already by some multi billionaire owner like PSG, Anzhi, Man City. Does anybody think the new financial fair play rules will help an Ajax revival??

I really do wonder if such comments are serious. Surely you do realise that they won't get anything like the TV money of UK or the two big Spanish clubs. They don't have the name-recognition of said clubs.

There's always a chance of a rich owner taking over, yes, but it'd be cheaper to buy an Anzhi rather than Ajax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I think it is completely ridiculous how football is monopolised these days with all the bigger clubs getting all the money. I wonder just how much the financial fair play rules will even it all out?

It won't, it will just rein in the likes of Chelsea, psg and city. The clubs with high revenues, the likes of utd, barca and real etc will be largely unaffected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bergkamp was not in their 95 team
    they have always been a team made up of their youth production system and sell on...a barca lite...i.e all teams play same system as first team..so all players know the Ajax way and can go straight into the first team
    this was an exceptional team with some solid older players...Van der saar, Blind, de Boers, Litmanen etc
    TV money is small as league is uncompetitive like Scotland..90% of titles won by Ajax or PSV so little appeal
    Also like most continental clubs they are owned by their members so a rich sugardaddy can't buy the club..if they could why wouldn't someone have already bought Barca, Real (altough effectively owned by king of Spain) etc

I really do wonder if such comments are serious. Surely you do realise that they won't get anything like the TV money of UK or the two big Spanish clubs. They don't have the name-recognition of said clubs.

There's always a chance of a rich owner taking over, yes, but it'd be cheaper to buy an Anzhi rather than Ajax.

Ok lets take the likes of the portuguese clubs. They are more than able to compete and they are in a relatively weak league, Porto won the champions league 8 years ago and the europa 2 years ago beating Braga in the final. Porto and the likes of Benfica are always challenging for the knockout stages every year also. Why cant the likes of Ajax even compete in a similar way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

They have a hell of a lot more name recognition than Manchester City or Chelsea.

The population of the Netherlands is relatively small so the TV money for their league is relatively small. And as Bounty Hunter says nowadays you can't hope to hold on to your better players because the big boys will be around to buy them.

Ok lets take the likes of the portuguese clubs. They are more than able to compete and they are in a relatively weak league, Porto won the champions league 8 years ago and the europa 2 years ago beating Braga in the final. Porto and the likes of Benfica are always challenging for the knockout stages every year also. Why cant the likes of Ajax even compete in a similar way?

Yeah that's interesting because Portugal is an even smaller country in terms of population. Maybe are the Portuguese clubs advantaged by being an attractive destination for South American players? I know most South Americans speak Spanish, but the two languages are very similar.

Also, it was Porto who won both the CL and two EL titles. They have somehow made themselves a massive club who are always bursting with talent.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah that's interesting because Portugal is an even smaller country in terms of population. Maybe are the Portuguese clubs advantaged by being an attractive destination for South American players? I know most South Americans speak Spanish, but the two languages are very similar.

Also, it was Porto who won both the CL and two EL titles. They have somehow made themselves a massive club who are always bursting with talent.

Thats the difference, they can hold onto players that bit longer than Ajax can and after reading numerous articles about ajax and their philosophy I think thats what Frank de Boer is trying to do to make ajax a force again in europe because lets face it he has no other option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They've always produced excellent young players and their youth academy is one of the best in the business but these days their best young players get snapped up by the big hitters, although it must be said they're not producing great young players as much as they used to. The financial dominance of the big few means that even a relatively big club like Ajax are now becoming a feeder club. They have no chance of matching the kind of wages being offered at City,Chelsea,Real etc

aidan24326 wrote: »
    They've always produced excellent young players and their youth academy is one of the best in the business but these days their best young players get snapped up by the big hitters, although it must be said they're not producing great young players as much as they used to. The financial dominance of the big few means that even a relatively big club like Ajax are now becoming a feeder club. They have no chance of matching the kind of wages being offered at City,Chelsea,Real etc

but financial fair play is being brought in now I cant help but wonder how it will help ajax?

Porto had The Chosen One (I won't call him what he liked to call himself :P ) and are ridiculously well-run when it comes to buying and selling players but it'll be a while til they win anything again. They seem to have a good set-up in South America. Porto are very much the exception.
    They have a hell of a lot more name recognition than Manchester City or Chelsea.
    And no sheikh or oligarch, what's your point? You don't need high revenues and name-recognition and an insane owner, 1 or 2 of those will do.

And no sheikh or oligarch, what's your point? You don't need high revenues and name-recognition and an insane owner, 1 or 2 of those will do.

My point was that you were wrong about name recognition.

but financial fair play is being brought in now I cant help but wonder how it will help ajax?

It'll solidify them around the top 20 in Europe. FFP, if it works, will only help maintain the status quo.

My point was that you were wrong about name recognition.

I was referring more to Arsenal and United, Liverpool to some extent. I'd also wager Chelsea hae a fair few fans in Asia. It'll depend on one's definition of name recognition though, I'm sure a helluva lot of people in Ireland will have heard of Borussia Moenchengladbach but many wouldn't be much use in terms of revenue generation or only heard of them because of the funny name.

I was referring more to Arsenal and United, Liverpool to some extent. I'd also wager Chelsea hae a fair few fans in Asia. It'll depend on one's definition of name recognition though, I'm sure a helluva lot of people in Ireland will have heard of Borussia Moenchengladbach but many wouldn't be much use in terms of revenue generation or only heard of them because of the funny name.

I think whatever way you define name recognition it would seem like it doesn't help much. Money and success (if it leads to money) are what matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Not to contradict anything that has been written here so far (most of which I agree with) but the perception that Ajax have ever been a consistent European superpower since their 70's breakthru is not an accurate one imho.

No doubt the years since their last CL win have been lean but likewise their record between the years 74-95 wasn't exactly stellar either. They picked up a UEFA Cup and CWC win during that period and had the odd good cup run, but during that period were as likely to go out in the first round of the UEFA cup as pose a serious challenge for silverware.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Not to contradict anything that has been written here so far (most of which I agree with) but the perception that Ajax have ever been a consistent European superpower since their 70's breakthru is not an accurate one imho.

No doubt the years since their last CL win have been lean but likewise their record between the years 74-95 wasn't exactly stellar either. They picked up a UEFA Cup and CWC win during that period and had the odd good cup run, but during that period were as likely to go out in the first round of the UEFA cup as pose a serious challenge for silverware.

But the late 80s, the rise of Ajax also coincided with the rise of the great dutch national team

I think whatever way you define name recognition it would seem like it doesn't help much. Money and success (if it leads to money) are what matters.

Well it does matter if it generates revenue. There's a reason teams are trying to get their names and "brands" popularised through Asia and the rest.

• Advertisement

Well it does matter if it generates revenue. There's a reason teams are trying to get their names and "brands" popularised through Asia and the rest.

If you are just talking about name recognition in Asia then yeah I could believe that Ajax wouldn't have the same draw as teams from the PL and Primera.

If you are just talking about name recognition in Asia then yeah I could believe that Ajax wouldn't have the same draw as teams from the PL and Primera.

I think Ajax should experimenetwith setting up academies in asia, merchandising etc to help build their image and also revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

There are over 140 million Portuguese speakers in South America and many of them are quite good at football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Name recognition is one thing but whats important is getting the team on TV to as wide an audience globally. That's why EPL teams are well known in Asia.

The whole Hamsterdam thing really destroyed them :(

baalthor wrote: »
    There are over 140 million Portuguese speakers in South America and many of them are quite good at football

Have they maybe a separate arrangement with Brazil about work visas and the like over and above the general EU rules? Or just more relaxed maybe. It can be hard in some circumstances in Britain to get a work visa unless one was already got elsewhere in the EU.

baalthor wrote: »

No shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now a feeder club, like many famous names of the past.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Now a feeder club, like many famous names of the past.

Who are the other famous names who are feeder clubs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

After seeing them go down 4-1 to Real Madrid last night it has not but made me wonder what has happened to the 4 time european cup winners. It was only back in 1995 that they last won it with the likes of the de boer brothers, overmars, bergkamp and edgar davids in their team and 1996 they reached the final. I find the phenomenon of Ajax quite interesting and I cant help but wonder why they cant compete with europes best anymore and have to keep selling players. I mean with the ultra modern stadium they have and the excellent academy, how are they struggling so much to build a really strong team with a blend of youth and established champions league players??? I also wonder how a club with such a rich history havent been taken over already by some multi billionaire owner like PSG, Anzhi, Man City. Does anybody think the new financial fair play rules will help an Ajax revival??

In fairness they had a fairly tough group and managed to finish above City, thats not a bad achievment in itself. Any team going to the Bernabéu could get beaten 4-1 on a given day.

Yes they won it in 95 but thats 18 years ago, how much has the game "progressed" since then. It's a cliche but it literally was a completely different game back then. Sure Blackburn won the PL that year, going by your train of thought say why are they relegated and not challenging for the PL every year. How much has the game even progressed since 2005 when liverpool won it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It'll solidify them around the top 20 in Europe. FFP, if it works, will only help maintain the status quo.
    Ajax will probably never be able to compete with the big European teams like they have in the past and FFP won't do much to help either. Eredivisie clubs get less than £100 million a year in TV money. Premier League clubs on the other hand will get close to £2 billion in TV money.

Ajax don't have a hope in competing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Portuguese football is fcuked as well. All the big clubs are in debt to their eyeballs and the likes of Braga and Sporting Lisbon are close to bankruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Portuguese football is fcuked as well. All the big clubs are in debt to their eyeballs and the likes of Braga and Sporting Lisbon are close to bankruptcy.

Did not know that.

Will clubs ever learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

The power balance in football is always shifting. Unfortunately for Ajax their fall was more dramatic than most because of the Bosman ruling. However, given the way in which the game has gone in recent years its becoming increasingly hard for any clubs from small nations to make an impact in Europe. Qualification for the knock-out stages of the champions league is now a major achievement for teams like Ajax and Celtic. Go back thirty plus years ago and they were among the best in Europe.

What's happening with clubs like PSG, City, Chelsea, and Anzhi, is destroying football in my opinion. If the financial fair play rules are not strictly imposed historic clubs like Ajax will never again be able to genuinely compete for European honours. Football is being taken from the fans and given to billionaire Playboys as leisure/ego projects.

Seeing Abromovich lifting the European cup I feel was a dark day in European football. I have nothing against Chelsea, but their owner is the personification of footballs modern failings. Sadly, it's quite possible that clubs like Chelsea will experience an extreme bust in the future when the flow of money stops. Just like Ireland in the boom time nobody wants to mention the inevitable, but I genuinely believe that in 20 or 30 years time, some major clubs in Europe will have folded completely after economic ruin. Their trophies will be of little comfort to them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's the TV money and i think the over inflated wages that the sugar daddy clubs have brought in is a major factor too, Agents\players once they get a good review are immediately looking elsewhere. Ajax can't compete in wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well there's plenty that were once 'big' who now would often have any talent poached by the nouveau riche.

Off the top of my head you could say likes of Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Sevilla, Valencia, Napoli, Torino, Anderlecht, Everton, Celtic etc. Given the transfers of recent years you could say that even teams up to the level of Arsenal are a feeder club now as well.

All once famous clubs who simply cannot hold on to any decent player they produce due to the fact that they need to raise money to stay in business, and can't turn down any offer from the vultures when they circle.

All but the top few teams in each league are feeders for their own league, and then even the top teams in some of those leagues are feeders for the bigger leagues again, and Ajax fit this example.

For me the only way to stop this happening is by limiting the number of foreigners allowed in each squad, but that ain't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Arsenal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

The thread seems to focus on the argument of money being the only cause. You only have to look at who was running the club at the time those players came throught that dominated Europe, and to where the went. Laudrup, Cryuff & co. all moved to Barca in some form or the other, and a decade later you have Barca dominating Europe.

Alot can be said of money, and it is a big factor, but there are some in football who don't get the credit they deserve for what they do behind the scenes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Money is obviously a major factor, even the major factor. The Dutch population is not very big and in general very reluctant to pay large sums of money just to watch sport on telly but there are also strict rules in the Netherlands about how you can run your club. It's simply not allowed to run up huge debts and clubs can get relegated for debts that would seem laughable to English clubs. AFAIK PSV had to sell their stadium when they ran up a loss equivalent to half an Andy Carroll.

Patience is probably another factor. Fans, owners, players, journalists - nobody seems to want to allow anyone time to realise a project that last more than two weeks. Players will jump ship to bigger clubs at the first opportunity, managers get fired after a few losses so there's no chance to put together a long-term plan of bringing through talented youths and building a team who grow together into a force to be reckoned with.

Shaktar Donetsk are the new Ajax, although they do have a handy trillionaire running the show.

Ajax will probably never be able to compete with the big European teams like they have in the past and FFP won't do much to help either. Eredivisie clubs get less than £100 million a year in TV money. Premier League clubs on the other hand will get close to £2 billion in TV money.

Ajax don't have a hope in competing with that.

I don't expect them to compete with United or Barcelona but they should be better able to maintain their current position once it's made harder for someone to throw hundreds of millions into a no-mark team. They're currently 24th in the co-efficient standings, they shouldn't fall much from there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't think Ajax need a revival so to speak. They're regularly in Europe and were robbed by Dinamo Zagreb of a knockout place last year in the Champions League and still bring along excellent players.

The 96 team was an incredible side, it'll be tough to match that team even if you were given a billionaire owner to do it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well there's plenty that were once 'big' who now would often have any talent poached by the nouveau riche.

Off the top of my head you could say likes of Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Sevilla, Valencia, Napoli, Torino, Anderlecht, Everton, Celtic etc. Given the transfers of recent years you could say that even teams up to the level of Arsenal are a feeder club now as well.

All once famous clubs who simply cannot hold on to any decent player they

For me the only way to stop this happening is by limiting the number of foreigners allowed in each squad, but that ain't going to happen.

Okay I think Id agree with the 3 dutch clubs, Celtic and Everton being feeder clubs and Anderlecht and now Arsenal aswell but I dont think Napoli are exactly a selling club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dfx- wrote: »

The 96 team was an incredible side, it'll be tough to match that team even if you were given a billionaire owner to do it.

The 2003-ish side was the last time we had a number of really good young players at once, many of whom went on to the bigger leagues with varying success. We had Chivu, Maxwell, de Jong, Heitinga, Pienaar, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Ibrahimovic...etc and but for ex-Feyenoord player Jon Dahl-Tomasson's injury time winner for Milan (my most disappointing night watching soccer), we would have been against Inter in the Champions League semi, less than 10yrs ago. Was heartbreaking.

Honestly I've been delighted with the past few seasons. After being pipped to the title when we were the best team in the league, we came back to win our 30th league in 2011, following it with another lucky one in 2012. Finishing 3rd in a group with the German, Spanish and English champions is something that very few of the other champions league teams would have done. Real and Dortmund are both top sides and deserve to go through.

I'm on my phone so I'm not going to comment too much but seeing as I'm the token Ajax fan on Boards I thought I'd chime in. As a fan I've seen much worse Ajax teams than the current one. We're not going to win the league or the Europa, we're not going to recreate the 95 team in the next 5 years. But the philosophy of playing soccer and teaching soccer remains, players will still come through, scouts will still bring in good prospects and we will still be one of the top teams in Holland.

I'd rather the academy and system that we have than the billions of other clubs. Like City. Who aren't even in Europe anymore. :)

8-10 wrote: »
    The 2003-ish side was the last time we had a number of really good young players at once, many of whom went on to the bigger leagues with varying success. We had Chivu, Maxwell, de Jong, Heitinga, Pienaar, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Ibrahimovic...etc and but for ex-Feyenoord player Jon Dahl-Tomasson's injury time winner for Milan (my most disappointing night watching soccer), we would have been against Inter in the Champions League semi, less than 10yrs ago. Was heartbreaking.

Honestly I've been delighted with the past few seasons. After being pipped to the title when we were the best team in the league, we came back to win our 30th league in 2011, following it with another lucky one in 2012. Finishing 3rd in a group with the German, Spanish and English champions is something that very few of the other champions league teams would have done. Real and Dortmund are both top sides and deserve to go through.

I'm on my phone so I'm not going to comment too much but seeing as I'm the token Ajax fan on Boards I thought I'd chime in. As a fan I've seen much worse Ajax teams than the current one. We're not going to win the league or the Europa, we're not going to recreate the 95 team in the next 5 years. But the philosophy of playing soccer and teaching soccer remains, players will still come through, scouts will still bring in good prospects and we will still be one of the top teams in Holland.

I'd rather the academy and system that we have than the billions of other clubs. Like City. Who aren't even in Europe anymore. :)

To be honest, Ajax are interesting me so much that I think Im turning into a fan of them too. They have always been my favourite dutch club though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

8-10 wrote: »

The last great Dutch team for me was PSV. PSV made the semifinals of the UCL in 2005 and lost on away goals to AC Milan. That team also made the quarterfinals in 2007 and even knocked out Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Okay I think Id agree with the 3 dutch clubs, Celtic and Everton being feeder clubs and Anderlecht and now Arsenal aswell but I dont think Napoli are exactly a selling club.

What? Ki and McGeady are the only players to be sold in the last 3 years that weren't excess fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

764dak wrote: »

No doubt, probably Chelsea's 2nd most important goal ever, drogba's last year being number 1. Roman was sniffing arounfd the prem at the time, he was kenyon's guest at OT a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd disagree with that. I've travelled around Asia, Africa and South America over the last few years and there's a hell of a lot of locals wearing chelsea jerseys. Not very many ajax, if any at all that I noticed anyway.
    City mightn't be as popular, but since they won the league they'll be popping up everywhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wearing a jersey doesn't mean anything with regards to name recognition, I'm pretty sure that if you would mention Ajax in any part of the world people would recognize the name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement