Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 from America

• 05-12-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey, I'm wondering what people think of buying the iphone5 outright from the states, without contract etc.

As far as I know the only issue is 4G wont work back here on the north america model of the phone but 3G will work fine. Or are there any others issues?

What do you think worthwhile saving approx 200€ to do without 4G when it comes out over here?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stage01

Should have put this in the apples devices section, could a mod move?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

just make sure you buy the factory unlocked GSM version.
    My mate has just returned from NYC with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Now available unlocked from the apple US store for $649 . However it is the GSM A1428 model - the same model available unlocked in Canada.
    It will work ok on GSM networks but has limited LTE or 4G bands . Ok for AT&T or Canada but unlikely to work anywhere else.

The A1429 model covers the bands needed here when that rolls out and that is the model on sale here.
    Thats the Verizon model in the states (they do sell it unlocked you just need to get international roaming enabled - it has the most LTE bands).

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Now available unlocked from the apple US store for $649 . However it is the GSM A1428 model - the same model available unlocked in Canada.
    It will work ok on GSM networks but has limited LTE or 4G bands . Ok for AT&T or Canada but unlikely to work anywhere else.

The A1429 model covers the bands needed here when that rolls out and that is the model on sale here.
    Thats the Verizon model in the states (they do sell it unlocked you just need to get international roaming enabled - it has the most LTE bands).

Sure dont the phones that we bought here in Ireland and UK also have the same limited LTE or 4G bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Any update on this? Also, is the LTE support the only feature that will not work? Because if LTE is another 5 years+ down the line over here, surely it doesn't make a difference.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine tried to get the A1429 GSM model in the states with no luck. Apple stores don't appear to sell it, as its primarily the European model. Verizon might have it, I'm not 100% on that because everyone I talked to said different things (Verizon staff that is).

Even if they do its not as simple as buying it outright unlocked though. They require you to setup a usage plan with them. You can cancel it straight away but its a lot of effort to get the phone.

So if buying from the states you will be getting the A1428 GSM model, which works fine on 3G but wont work on 4G when it comes out.

Theres some more talk on the 4G/LTE and models in this thread if you're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82330795

stage01 wrote: »
    A friend of mine tried to get the A1429 GSM model in the states with no luck. Apple stores don't appear to sell it, as its primarily the European model. Verizon might have it, I'm not 100% on that because everyone I talked to said different things (Verizon staff that is).

Even if they do its not as simple as buying it outright unlocked though. They require you to setup a usage plan with them. You can cancel it straight away but its a lot of effort to get the phone.

So if buying from the states you will be getting the A1428 GSM model, which works fine on 3G but wont work on 4G when it comes out.

Theres some more talk on the 4G/LTE and models in this thread if you're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82330795

My mate walked into the Apple Store on 5th avenue in NYC last month, bought an unlocked GSM version and walked out.

no bills, no useage plans etc Apple stopped this a year or so ago.
    The unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 5 is model A1428.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5

Yep but the only issue is the A1428 GSM wont work on 4G in Ireland

stage01 wrote: »
    Yep but the only issue is the A1428 GSM wont work on 4G in Ireland

when and if we get it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Even though it won't support LTE or 4G in Ireland it should still work on DC HDSPA if that's available, shouldn't it?

• Advertisement

Even though it won't support LTE or 4G in Ireland it should still work on DC HDSPA if that's available, shouldn't it?

I hadn't heard of that actually, must ask 02, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

kceire wrote: »
    just make sure you buy the factory unlocked GSM version.
    My mate has just returned from NYC with one.

I tried to by one in New York, but they told me they couldn't sell me one because I had no zip code. They guy in the Apple store told me he was ordered not to sell to tourists from Europe.

I found that quite strange indeed, maybe he was telling porkies?

I tried to by one in New York, but they told me they couldn't sell me one because I had no zip code. They guy in the Apple store told me he was ordered not to sell to tourists from Europe.

I found that quite strange indeed, maybe he was telling porkies?

Deffo porkies. you must of got a strange employee :confused:
    When was this by the way, as the factory unlocked version wasnt released in the store until late October IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

kceire wrote: »
    Deffo porkies. you must of got a strange employee :confused:
    When was this by the way, as the factory unlocked version wasnt released in the store until late October IIRC

Ahh I see, it was when the iphone 4 was released, 2010.

Ahh I see, it was when the iphone 4 was released, 2010.

agh, dont think it was sold factory unlocked from the apple store in NYC back then so thats why.

Advertisement