Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal Gone on Double glazed windows:

• 05-12-2012 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi all.

1) My double glazed windows haven't been opened very often and the rubber seals are flat/compressed and letting the breeze in.

Whats the best plan, replace the seals? Or I've been told to oil them (rubber seals) and keep the windows open and they will re-shape them selves?

2) Also the handles have come of one on the windows as the hinges were'nt oiled/maintained ....

(3 metal screws into plastic frame.Should I use a larger screw, move the handle? Or something else?)....

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all.

1) My double glazed windows haven't been opened very often and the rubber seals are flat/compressed and letting the breeze in.

Whats the best plan, replace the seals? Or I've been told to oil them (rubber seals) and keep the windows open and they will re-shape them selves?

2) Also the handles have come of one on the windows as the hinges were'nt oiled/maintained ....

(3 metal screws into plastic frame.Should I use a larger screw, move the handle? Or something else?)....

thanks
    your best bet is to replace the rubbers as they have perished over time.i have done a lot of these this year for customers due to cheap windows fitted in the boom not lasting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

massy086 wrote: »
    your best bet is to replace the rubbers as they have perished over time.i have done a lot of these this year for customers due to cheap windows fitted in the boom not lasting

Thanks Massy.

That makes sense.

From my observation, I'd like to think that the frames and glass are sound enough and that it's just the rubbers that are tired, but that's me hoping.

We bought the house afew years ago and the windows were in that state.probably cheap rubbish a la celtic tiger.

Thanks for ur advice,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Seals, handles, locks , hinges, can all be changed easily without replacing windows. All the above had happened my windows, had a chap out to them, like new now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

no problem at all if you are in the dublin or surrounding area feel free to drop me a pm and i would be more than happy to give you a free estimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

I'm a long way from Dublin Massy, otherwise would have gotten a quote from ya!:D thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Anyone know were I can buy bubble type seals in Dublin for windows?

Advertisement