Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting agencies / what can I do?

Options
  • 05-12-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

I have had an absolutely horrible experience with <SNIP> Ltd in Cork (save yourself a load of hassle and NEVER trust these guys!!) - I purchased a car from them last summer that drove for less than 2 hours before breaking down. <SNIP>, who sold it to us, claimed that "he couldn't be held responsible for every single car he sold." The nightmare continued when we were quite literally stranded on the Beara peninsula for a week, until we could arrange for a friend to come and get us, waiting for the car to be repaired. <SNIP> refused to reimburse us for the nearly 1000 EUR in repair bills, but promised to buy the car back from us at the end of the summer, since it was just meant to be a temporary purchase. Well, that was August, and it is now December. Every single day, we call him on the phone. And every single day, he says he is coming that night. This nightmare has dragged on for what seems like forever, and I have no patience left. In addition to making sure that nothing like this happens to anyone else, I'm now left with a very expensive paperweight that STILL doesn't drive properly. I would love to get it sold for parts, or better yet, to be refunded from this cheat.

Do you have any advice as to 1) companies like the Better Business Bureau to whom I can report him, 2) small claims court information or other ways of trying to recoup the money that won't involve paying any sort of legal retainer, 3) ways to get information on what a terrible business he is out to the public?

Thanks for your help and advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

isolde316 wrote: »
    <SNIP>, who sold it to us, claimed that "he couldn't be held responsible for every single car he sold."

If he sold you the car as part of his normal business, then your normal consumer rights apply. This means that you can expect the car to be of merchantable quality.

It sounds like it's time to take legal action. Write a registered letter to the business address advising them that they have XX working days to resolve the issue, or you will be proceeding with legal action.

If the car is less than €2,000 (IIRC) then you can lodge a claim in the Small Claims Court without need for a solicitor. Otherwise, it would be worth engaging a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 3 isolde316

Thanks, I believe that's exactly what I'll do. There's actually another person on the web who's experienced this same issue, so at least I have a template for the letter to go by.

<SNIP> Removed as it names the business

Unbelievable... :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Why is the business name being snipped yet there's loads of threads naming and shamming...???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

dudara wrote: »
    If he sold you the car as part of his normal business, then your normal consumer rights apply. This means that you can expect the car to be of merchantable quality.

It sounds like it's time to take legal action. Write a registered letter to the business address advising them that they have XX working days to resolve the issue, or you will be proceeding with legal action.

If the car is less than €2,000 (IIRC) then you can lodge a claim in the Small Claims Court without need for a solicitor. Otherwise, it would be worth engaging a solicitor
    While this is true in principle, I don't think the OP has a leg to stand on. He should have started proceeding when the car broke down, not get it repaired by a 3rd party and demand the money back from seller months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mdebets wrote: »
    While this is true in principle, I don't think the OP has a leg to stand on. He should have started proceeding when the car broke down, not get it repaired by a 3rd party and demand the money back from seller months later.

I would definitely agree with that - they have left it go on too long. But at least they have been in touch all along, and I still think that they should go down the registered letter route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There are a number of options open to a court rather than just reimbursing repair bills or refunding; well worth the OPs time pursuing it even if he only ends up getting a few quid.

Advertisement