Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside will have no Garda stations open between 9pm and 7am from 2013

Options
  • 05-12-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Alan Shatter released details of Garda station closures and opening hour cuts planned for 2013 today.

Cork city is hit by reduced hours in a number of stations.

However, the northside is particularly badly hit as there will be no Garda stations open in that part of the city between 9pm and 7am.

Currently, Mayfield and Gurranabraher are full time stations and Shatter plans on reducing their hours in 2013.

It is outrageous to propose that half of the city will have no Garda station open at night. There will be uproar over this.

Both Government TDs (listed below with contact details) will have to explain to their constituents why they have allowed this plan to happen and if they plan on doing something about reversing the decision.

Minister of State Kathleen Lynch:

Tel: Constituency Telephone 021 4399930 or 021 4212463
    Email: kathleen_lynch@health.gov.ie (Department Office)
    kathleen.lynch@oir.ie (Constituency Office)

FG TD Dara Murphy:

Tel: 021-4559353
    Email: dara.murphy@oir.ie

Link: http://www.rte.ie/documents/news/gardaclosures.pdf (page 7 for Cork city)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

None on the south side either from the looks of it or am i missing some...in fact are there any at all in Cork other than Anglesea Street?

Then again it does just say they are no longer open to the public outside the new hours....does that mean there will still be gardai there which seems fair enough if that is the case. Why would anyone really need to go into a garda station late at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Ludo wrote: »
    None on the south side either from the looks of it or am i missing some...in fact are there any at all in Cork other than Anglesea Street?

I looked at this list (http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/bycounty/Cork/Cork%20City/Garda%20Stations) and you appear to be correct that Angelsea Street will be the only station left open in the city at night if this plan is implemented.
    Then again it does just say they are no longer open to the public outside the new hours....does that mean there will still be gardai there which seems fair enough if that is the case. Why would anyone really need to go into a garda station late at night?

Where does it say the stations will only be closed to the public but Gardai will still be working out of the station? I can't find that explanation.

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Where does it say the stations will only be closed to the public but Gardai will still be working out of the station? I can't find that explanation.

I didn't say gardai will be working/available in the station when it is closed to the public...I asked if that is what it means as I am unsure myself what they mean by closed to the public. This implies, to me at least, that they are not actually closed completely but I could well be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

How does this save money. If someone is arrested at 11pm in Mayfield then where are they brought . If it is to Mayfied then the Garda that minds the arrested person while in custody will be present in the station - so therefore could still meet members of the public if they call late at night to the station as they have always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Why would anyone really need to go into a garda station late at night?

Do they expect people to either dial 999, make their way to Angelsea Street or wait for opening hours....:eek:

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Do they expect people to either dial 999, make their way to Angelsea Street or wait for opening hours....:eek:

For what?
    If it is an emergency, then yeah call 999. If not then phone a garda station (anglesea street I assume) to report burglary or other non emergency etc etc like now.
    I honestly can't think of any reason someone would need to call to a garda station during the night for something that could not wait until the morning. I am obviously not thinking of something though judging by the reaction to this here...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

For what?
    If it is an emergency, then yeah call 999. If not then phone a garda station (anglesea street I assume) to report burglary or other non emergency etc etc like now.
    I honestly can't think of any reason someone would need to call to a garda station during the night for something that could not wait until the morning. I am obviously not thinking of something though judging by the reaction to this here...

Car gets stolen - hardly a 999 situation so phone Anglesea who are trying to cover the whole city then wait for who knows hows long for a guard to have time to get to you or call a taxi and take time off work to pop in and report it during opening hours? Not sure how impressed insurance companies would be with that.

Or someone tries to mug you...

One station cannot possibly cover a city of over 150,000 people at night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

For what?

Ask a Garda about the situations that happen in the public office late at night.
    Crazy crap, battered wives , girlfriends,it wouldn't be unknown for a rape victim to wander in in a state.
    If a woman is feeling like she's being followed , the list goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No point in writing to our bold TD's. They all as useless as each other, and are only there for the beer.

It's a shame that O'Flynn and Allen are no longer serving...

Car gets stolen - hardly a 999 situation so phone Anglesea who are trying to cover the whole city then wait for who knows hows long for a guard to have time to get to you or call a taxi and take time off work to pop in and report it during opening hours? Not sure how impressed insurance companies would be with that.

Or someone tries to mug you...

I wouldn't call to a station if either of them happened to be honest...I would ring them to report it but maybe that is just me. And they open at 7 so well before normal work hours.
    Mugging may warrant a 999 even.
    One station cannot possibly cover a city of over 150,000 people at night.

I dunno...still not seeing the issue. It doesn't say there will be less patrols or cars out and about etc etc so no major change really.
    horgan_p wrote: »
    Ask a Garda about the situations that happen in the public office late at night.
    Crazy crap, battered wives , girlfriends,it wouldn't be unknown for a rape victim to wander in in a state.

Ah OK...they all make sense alright. Beginning to see the issue now. As I said...I am obviously not thinking it through fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Probably too many stations in Cork anyway, just like hospitals.

It's only a big town FFS.

Rodin wrote: »

I see the trolls are out. :rolleyes:

I see the trolls are out. :rolleyes:

Not at all. Sure it's only half the size of Belfast

Not at all. Sure it's only half the size of Belfast

That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back reading that. You go and have a lie down. Give the brain cell a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I see the point your making, There is 11 stations in the city whereas 3/4 larger full time stations would do.

I can't see why they wouldn't keep Mayfield or Gurran open 24 hours though.

That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back reading that. You go and have a lie down. Give the brain cell a rest.

It took you 30 seconds to read that? seriously? And you think I've only one brain cell?

charlemont wrote: »
    I see the point your making, There is 11 stations in the city whereas 3/4 larger full time stations would do.

I can't see why they wouldn't keep Mayfield or Gurran open 24 hours though.

At least someone gets my point.
    Same with the hospitals.

Up until recently there were 3 emergency departments in hospitals with another in Mallow. Far too many. Fewer and larger is the way to go.

Fewer and larger is the way to go.

I agree in general except they always somehow manage to "forget" about the bit in bold above!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Alan Shatter released details of Garda station closures and opening hour cuts planned for 2013 today.

Cork city is hit by reduced hours in a number of stations.

However, the northside is particularly badly hit as there will be no Garda stations open in that part of the city between 9pm and 7am.

Currently, Mayfield and Gurranabraher are full time stations and Shatter plans on reducing their hours in 2013.

It is outrageous to propose that half of the city will have no Garda station open at night. There will be uproar over this.

Do you honestly think that there won't be any Gardai in those areas at night, just because the stations are closed? Really though :D, tell me now ;)

Oh and here look something else to upset you, they will be amalgamating all the current Divisions (ie Gurranbraher, Mayfield, Cobh and Midleton) and making them all one. Oh you wouldn't be able to sleep at night imagine the horror, one patrol car to cover an area from Inniscarra all the way to Castlemarytr. ( i am just doing this in your own panicky uninformed style)

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=10416

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

At least someone gets my point.
    Same with the hospitals.

Up until recently there were 3 emergency departments in hospitals with another in Mallow. Far too many. Fewer and larger is the way to go.

Seriously?? as someone who works in one of those emergency departments, I seriously disagree with your idea that there is too many hospitals. Unless you have actually worked there, you can't possibly understand how insanely busy it gets. There is not enough space or staff for the amount of people that come through the emergency department.

• Advertisement

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Seriously?? as someone who works in one of those emergency departments, I seriously disagree with your idea that there is too many hospitals. Unless you have actually worked there, you can't possibly understand how insanely busy it gets. There is not enough space or staff for the amount of people that come through the emergency department.

Guess you missed the LARGER part he said also..do you work for the govt? :-) You can't just close existing emergency depts without expanding the remaining ones...but of course that is what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Guess you missed the LARGER part he said also..do you work for the govt? :-) You can't just close existing emergency depts without expanding the remaining ones...but of course that is what they do.
    No i don't work for the government. Why? Would it make a difference if I did? Yes I understand he said larger but I agree with you that is not going to happen anytime soon, so why close down existing departments that are needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

horgan_p wrote: »

As a former garda in a busy city centre I witnessed none of the above.
    NONE.

What you will get however is people signing bail because they were doing crime during the daylight hours and were too busy to call.
    Drunks calling in to "cake a momplaing about dad bouncer who thrown dem out for no reason at all", normally with information that said bouncer is dealing drugs too.
    People looking for a lift home because the q for taxi is too long and its raining.
    People calling in to ask stupid questions for a dare.

Stolen car reports can be done over the phone. Anglesea St has a very large staff of operators who just take calls on the phone.
    A garda station is not a place of refuge, and were the above scenarios, all that would happen is the public office would have to be closed anyway, while an ambulance is called. Particularly if your hypothetical rape victim wanders in. However this suggestion reveals your ignorance of the majority of what is involved in rape cases unfortunately.

Closing the public office frees up 2 gardai per roster for duties outside the station, where they are needed more. Hoping that they will prevent crime from behind a desk is a mythical situation, unless the stations were equipped with CCTV covering the entire district.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

What's FFS
    FIanna Fail Sipporter......

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

kevin101 wrote: »
    How does this save money. If someone is arrested at 11pm in Mayfield then where are they brought . If it is to Mayfied then the Garda that minds the arrested person while in custody will be present in the station - so therefore could still meet members of the public if they call late at night to the station as they have always done.
    thay will be brought to cork prison

cordub wrote: »
    thay will be brought to cork prison

Will they? I thought they were in the tender loving care of The Gardai until the courts get involved. Surely the cells in the Bridewell will be the place for them. Surely just because the public office section is closed at night I am sure Gardai will continue to use the cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

They won't be sent near Rathmore road unless a judge has given the nod first.

Arrested people will go the same place arrested people always go, the only difference being those dealing with them will no longer have to deal with the public during the night also.
    I wonder how many prisoners died, because the "person who deals with prisoners" was stuck taking a statement from someone who returned to their car to find the mirror or wipers broken....instead of checking regularly on a sleeping drunk as they were supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

They won't be sent near Rathmore road unless a judge has given the nod first.

Arrested people will go the same place arrested people always go, the only difference being those dealing with them will no longer have to deal with the public during the night also.
    I wonder how many prisoners died, because the "person who deals with prisoners" was stuck taking a statement from someone who returned to their car to find the mirror or wipers broken....instead of checking regularly on a sleeping drunk as they were supposed to.
    you think that they will be checking the sleeping drunk more now so???? Im guessing due to cutbacks ect they will be catching up on their paperwork and maybe out in the cars delivering more summones. The prison can now take prisoners all night and not just till 12 midnight so i am also guessing there maybe an increase of those sent to rathmore for the night ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

In fairness Cork will be well covered with Anglesea street.
    It's the likes of rural stations in Limerick like Askeaton and those in North Kerry where a car could take 20 minutes or more to arrive at a crime scene.

• Advertisement

Xantia wrote: »
    In fairness Cork will be well covered with Anglesea street.
    It's the likes of rural stations in Limerick like Askeaton and those in North Kerry where a car could take 20 minutes or more to arrive at a crime scene.

It will of course, this will actually help the Garda numbers in Cork, instead of the lads stuck behind a counter they will be out where they are needed most.
    Some people on here think just because their local station is closed then they have no local gardai......story is lads they are out patrolling and responding to calls in your neighbourhoods and if you call them they will come.

Advertisement