Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Spartak Moscow match thread (RTE 2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Well done Neil Lennon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Delighted for Celtic. :D
    Dear God though if the folks at Celtic Park saw what was happening in the last five minutes at Camp Nou.:eek:
    Terrified for Messi though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Only one Neil Lennon!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

A1j_1eZCcAE2u6E.jpg

As promised..... GIRFUY!! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

http://p.twimg.com/A1j_1eZCcAE2u6E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Congrats lads, enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Well done guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think it's fair to say that the two teams who deserved it most went through.

Benfica really surprised me, what an average team that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair play lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

PauloMN wrote: »
    http://p.twimg.com/A1j_1eZCcAE2u6E.jpg

blackkid_display.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That is just amazing, some reason to be proud there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Suck on that xAVI6

Do people really think that was a soft penalty? I thought it was without doubt a penalty. Wouldn't call it soft at all.

Do people really think that was a soft penalty? I thought it was without doubt a penalty. Wouldn't call it soft at all.

Absolutely.

Samaras looked for the contact clear as day, the Spartak player couldn't do much about it.
    Wouldn't surprise me if the crowd's reaction gave the final push to the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Suck on that xAVI6

Lol I must REALLY have gotten to you to be worthy of another call out :D

Jaysus, just watched the Barca highlights.... skin of our nads bhoys!!

HAVIN' A PARTY IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

To be fair a bit soft and lucky to get it I would say. Well done Celtic but will have to be a lot better to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Was soft but it was idiotic defending. He shouldn't have given samaras an option to go down. Going away from goal aswell

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Samaras looked for the contact clear as day, the Spartak player couldn't do much about it.

Let me rephrase.... does anyone except Jelle1880 think that was a soft penalty? ;)

Not a 'soft' penalty at all. A soft penalty is a questionable penalty. There was no question that was a penalty, regardless of whether Sammy played for it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Totally agree. Defender no where near the ball. And Made a totally rash challenge when there was no need. I've seen them not given, but can be no complaints about it. Spartak didn't protest too much.

Sammy played for it and the defender obliged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah come on, he hardly touched him, you would have 20 pens in a game if they were all given, this is from a neutral point of view as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Absolutely.

Yeah Samaras definitly looked for the contact, but I still think it was a penalty.

Stupid tackle. I don't think Samaras initiated the contact as one poster suggested, but he certainly waited for the tackle to come, before shifting the ball away and taking the contact.

Celtic deserved it on the balance of play. Spartak were so poor.

Looking at the highlights, Celtic were blessed that Benfica shít the bed up front in the Camp Nou!

So many missed chances! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Jaysus, just watched the Barca highlights.... skin of our nads bhoys!!

HAVIN' A PARTY IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!

Same here, how did they not score from the one on one in the first half

Let me rephrase.... does anyone except Jelle1880 think that was a soft penalty? ;)

Not a 'soft' penalty at all. A soft penalty is a questionable penalty. There was no question that was a penalty, regardless of whether Sammy played for it or not.

The mixed responses would say different... ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

no matter who celtic draw in the enxt round, we'll have the usual "experts" saying they're going to get destroyed - the same experts who said barcelona would put double figures on them etc.

I think this Celtic team play better in contain mode rather than having to take the initiative so we'll see

and as jelle will testify to - whenever you expect celtic to get battered they don't

• Advertisement

Totally agree. Defender no where near the ball. And Made a totally rash challenge when there was no need. I've seen them not given, but can be no complaints about it. Spartak didn't protest too much.

Sammy played for it and the defender obliged.
    Rash challenge is an overstatement tbh. He didn't make much contact at all

But agree with your last assessment. Was brutal on the defenders part. Going away from goal no need to go near him

donfers wrote: »
    no matter who celtic draw in the enxt round, we'll have the usual "experts" saying they're going to get destroyed - the same experts who said barcelona would put double figures on them etc.

I think this Celtic team play better in contain mode rather than having to take the initiative so we'll see

and as jelle will testify to - whenever you expect celtic to get battered they don't

Surely you'll agree that the Barcelona game was probably a one off ?

Do you think they can repeat it against the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, Juve,... ?

Do you think they can repeat it against the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, Juve,... ?

a one-off

they contained them pretty well in both games

Schalke would be a dream draw. Although I think united would be a decent draw aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Rash challenge is an overstatement tbh. He didn't make much contact at all

But agree with your last assessment. Was brutal on the defenders part. Going away from goal no need to go near him

Rash challenge not rash tackle. There's a difference. He got his body across sammy but not entirely which allowed him play for the penalty. He was no where near the ball either and had no need to get across in such a fashion.

If for nothing other than sheer stupidity it was a penalty.

• Advertisement

The mixed responses would say different... ?

How many different logins have you got ffs? :D

HAVING A PARTY IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Xavi6 wrote: »
    All tonight does is give Celtic fans false hope, still a bad side in European terms

Xavi6 in his infinite wisdom told us this pearl after the first Barca game.

Not a bad result, getting throught the group, for a 'supposedly' bad side in European terms.

If Celtic, previous winners of the competition, can get through the group while being a bad European side, I wonder what we should classify winless in Europe Manchester city as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Schalke would be a dream draw. Although I think united would be a decent draw aswell

I'd fancy Celtic to knock utd out if they got them tbh, they would be well up for it and utd would be expected to breeze through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Do you know whats amazing... I might be wrong but if we had of hung on in the Nou Camp would we have topped the group due to better head to head?

Who cares though. I don't care who we get at this stage, regardless of who it'll be a struggle. I think we'll play better than tonight, won't be the same pressure, as the expectations beyond this point realistically for Celtic are zilch.

It's just brilliant to have it to look forward to, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

PSG, Schalke, Malaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Manchester United.

You have to look at any of Schalke, Malaga and Manchester United as being a decent team.

If I'm correct the last time Celtic were in the last sixteen they were playing Milan and took them to extra time so maybe Juventus with Chiellini suspended wouldn't be the worst either. Drawing Dortmund or Bayern Munich would be a disaster for anyone!

Who cares though. I don't care who we get at this stage, regardless of who it'll be a struggle. I think we'll play better than tonight, won't be the same pressure, as the expectations beyond this point realistically for Celtic are zilch.

It's just brilliant to have it to look forward to, eh?

Not denying that, guess it beats having to look forward to the Arbroath replay :p

Should be some experience though, regardless of the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

You have to look at any of Schalke, Malaga and Manchester United as being a decent team.

If I'm correct the last time Celtic were in the last sixteen they were playing Milan and took them to extra time so maybe Juventus with Chiellini suspended wouldn't be the worst either. Drawing Dortmund or Bayern Munich would be a disaster for anyone!

Juventus were the team I was hoping for when I looked down through the list there! I wouldn't want United to be honest.

The fact Celtic can't get Barca is a definite advantage anyway. It rules out one of the big 3 top seeds (Dortmund and Bayern being the other 2). Poor ARsenal have a chance of getting all 3 :pac:

Malaga and PSG wouldn't be terrible I guess. I'd take United over both though from a Celtic POV. No real pressure, and probably will be that bit more psychologically up for it. As you say it'd certainly be better than Dortmund or Bayern!

Schalke is the preferred draw you'd imagine. The other side of the coin is a loss to them would be hard enough to take, in comparison to the bigger sides when there's nothing to lose really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ha Neil Lennon wants Malaga in the next round, hinting that the weather would be nice in the new year :P

Much better response then the typical, "We'll take what the draw gives us etc." :P

• Advertisement

allybhoy wrote: »
    Do you know whats amazing... I might be wrong but if we had of hung on in the Nou Camp would we have topped the group due to better head to head?

correct, only for that goal in the fourth minute of injury time celtic would have topped the group

Not denying that, guess it beats having to look forward to the Arbroath replay :p

Should be some experience though, regardless of the draw.

From the highlights of the last 16 in the CL, to the lows of Gayfield Park, eh?

The ups and downs of football lol.

The fact Celtic can't get Barca is a definite advantage anyway. It rules out one of the big 3 top seeds (Dortmund and Bayern being the other 2). Poor ARsenal have a chance of getting all 3 :pac:

Malaga and PSG wouldn't be terrible I guess. I'd take United over both though from a Celtic POV. No real pressure, and probably will be that bit more psychologically up for it. As you say it'd certainly be better than Dortmund or Bayern!

Schalke is the preferred draw you'd imagine. The other side of the coin is a loss to them would be hard enough to take, in comparison to the bigger sides when there's nothing to lose really!

Celtic v The Zlatan ?

Dear me :pac:

correct, only for that goal in the fourth minute of injury time celtic would have topped the group

That's pretty astonishing really when you think about it.

Juventus were the team I was hoping for when I looked down through the list there! I wouldn't want United to be honest.

I'm sure United fans preferred choice would be Celtic. Complacency could come into play. There'd be zero pressure on Celtic and it would be some occasion. Have beaten them recently too in Europe, although that was a better Celtic side tbf. As I said, psychologically I think they'd be that bit more up for it v Man U. And also, a loss wouldn't be that hard to take unlike v Schalke

Not too mention, United have come through an easy group and haven't really been tested yet. they were knocked out in the groups last year

Yeah but in fairness Barca would have gone all out tonight probably in that case

Celtic v The Zlatan ?

Dear me :pac:

They've held out Messi, Iniesta, Xavi et al. why should they be afraid of him? PSG would definitely not be terrible.

They've held out Messi, Iniesta, Xavi et al. why should they be afraid of him? PSG would definitely not be terrible.

He is Zlatan, that's why. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought Celtic were very average tonight, very nervous.

Seemed afraid to attack in the 2nd half for fear of getting caught on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Anything but a match between Celtic and Borussia Dortmund...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And only for the miss in the last minute of Barca v Benfica they'd have been out. Swings and roundabouts.

Advertisement