Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem for ex mayor

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By gawd I would love to vent my thoughts on this gentleman on a public forum but....................

Reminder all that any discussion of people, their integrity or anything that could be regarded of libellous cannot be discussed on boards, this goes for all posters, mods and all............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My understanding it that the college want the matter to be referred to the Higher Education and Training Awards Council to establish an independent panel to investigate the matter fully.

Until that investigation happens and a decision has been made on whether the work was Mr. Garvey's or not, I personally think it is very difficult to have a discussion on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MrsD007 wrote: »
    My understanding it that the college want the matter to be referred to the Higher Education and Training Awards Council to establish an independent panel to investigate the matter fully.

Until that investigation happens and a decision has been made on whether the work was Mr. Harvey's or not, I personally think it is very difficult to have a discussion on this.

Tralee IT forum maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Until that investigation happens and a decision has been made on whether the work was Mr. Harvey's or not, I personally think it is very difficult to have a discussion on this.
    26 university staff don't seem to think so!

26 university staff don't seem to think so!
    Yes, 26 college staff have asked for an investigation to happen and I personally believe that investigation should be concluded before we start making claims that could damage someone's reputation.

Call me old fashioned but I believe everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence until an investigation or a legal case finds otherwise. At the moment, claims have been made but nothing has been proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why are they only doing it 4 years later?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good question...and what about the person who supervised the thesis? Plagiarism usually caught before the awarding of a degree.

Note taken that it's just MODS engaging in this thread...interesting!

Cause everytime someone started reading they fell asleep :D

I don't think a regional forum is the place to discuss educational standards/matters, I would recommend checking the Edu forums to get a better idea of what's happen/procedures

Maybe, people are afraid of being sued ;)

Maybe, people are afraid of being sued ;)
    Owners of Boards.ie?:D
    Interesting to see how the allegations/claims pan out.

• Advertisement

Owners of Boards.ie?:D
    Interesting to see how the allegations/claims pan out.
    You see that's the thing, Boards can be sued but a poster can be held personally liable for the comments they post.

You need to read this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81993153&postcount=6

Clareman wrote: »
    Cause everytime someone started reading they fell asleep :D

I don't think a regional forum is the place to discuss educational standards/matters, I would recommend checking the Edu forums to get a better idea of what's happen/procedures
    The perfect place- he's from Clare, is writing about a Clare parish, and made decisions that affected the people of the county.

Mods are posters too, we just have a few more buttons we have to press, personally I follow 11 threads (the ones I mod), if there's a new post I tend to read it cause it's usually something I'm interested in, Clare is top of the list as well (alphabetically :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm a mod from Clare, not a Clare mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Can we at least quote the article?
    In one example, the staff claim 14 pages of the dissertation are identical to a book which was published in 1965 about Mr Garvey's native parish – Inagh.

You can do whatever you want once it's within the rules and the guidelines of the charter :)

In regards to quoting an article, this is a very difficult area in Ireland at the moment for copyright law, before copying an article from another site you should get the permission off the owners of the article, this isn't going to be possible in the real world however as people will just put up a link and quote the article, the rule of thumb on here is to quote a paragraph not the whole thing, the Admins are stilling looking into this.

What you did quote is a great example of where things can go wrong quickly, you quoted a line from the article which was a claim, but highlighted the bit that says that they "are identical"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Interesting piece by Gordon Deegan in today's Indo, where Flan Garvey, ex mayor of Clare has had the legitimacy of his masters in Arts degree-paid for by the taxpayer-thrown into question.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/26-college-staff-accuse-councillor-of-plagiarising-thesis-3316440.html

Who was it said You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.

Article is by Barry Duggan. In fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

If 26 academics are willing to put their necks on the line there is a major problem behind the scene. Why it took 4 years for this to finally come to a head would be speculation but it's certain to me that there is good reason why the staff had to go public.

I have no doubt the analysis of the thesis and the original document would have been done forensically and the staff will be able to stand over their letter. Of course how he was made chairman of the governing would be interesting to look at.

Mr. Garvey in his position on the appeals committee is seriously comprimised. This is going to get interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

he is chairman of the governing board.looking in from the outside it does appear
    a case of disgruntled employees having a pop at the boss rather than moral indegnation. perhaps he upset some some lazy lecturers!;)

pilate 1 wrote: »
    he is chairman of the governing board.looking in from the outside it does appear
    a case of disgruntled employees having a pop at the boss rather than moral indegnation. perhaps he upset some some lazy lecturers!;)

The chairman of a governing body has no power. It is a political appointment and usually filled by candidiates that are being paid back rather than ability. More likely is that the issue has been raised and brushed under the carpet.

Now, when you have a guy who has been accused of cheating standing in judgement of students, people start to get annoyed. If these 26 lecturers were lazy then they would have let the whole thing die. This is going to bring a world of hassle down on them. THe easy thing would have been to keep it under the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd to go to one of those plagiarism meetings a couple of years ago. Such a momumental waste of time. They'd 5 people with masters degrees deliberating my case. I was under review because I'd had a mobile phone in the exam hall, that I'd switched off and left face down on the floor as per the old exam guidelines which had changed that year without me noticing. They'd a letter from me to that effect, a note from the supervisor saying I wasn't cheating, and they still gave me 30 minutes of interview before saying it's grand. Had to drive 3 hours both ways for that ****e.

The fact Boards.ie can get sued is farcical. They're just a medium for people to post on the internet like Twitter, Facebook or whatever. The only difference is they don't have the resources to sue back.

I'd to go to one of those plagiarism meetings a couple of years ago. Such a momumental waste of time. They'd 5 people with masters degrees deliberating my case. I was under review because I'd had a mobile phone in the exam hall, that I'd switched off and left face down on the floor as per the old exam guidelines which had changed that year without me noticing. They'd a letter from me to that effect, a note from the supervisor saying I wasn't cheating, and they still gave me 30 minutes of interview before saying it's grand. Had to drive 3 hours both ways for that ****e.
    I suppose your case highlights the importance of giving someone a fair hearing instead of rushing to judgement.

I'd failed the test (can't understand how i'd got good marks in continual assessment and finished most of the final exam) so the whole charade was entirely pointless. It was just an opportunity for them to justify drawing a salary sitting on a board that does nothing outside of a couple of days in the year. If the exam supervisor said i wasn't cheating that should be plenty reason to not waste my time.

Sorry Shapey but I think your case shows exactly why procedures have to be put in place to protect the integrity of exams. You openingly admit to not following the rules set out for the examination, ignorance of a rule cannot be used as a defence I'm afraid in most cases, if the review committee was not in place you would have had to have stood by the policy set in place, would I would imagine would have been disbarred from other exams in the institution, if a State exam maybe even a ban from taking other exams, by having the review in place you were able to get a statement from supervisor and have a neutral panel review the situation.

Also, boards isn't a medium like Facebook or Twitter, there is far more controls in place on Facebook and Twitter to link back to the user, also, you can set your security settings there whereas boards is public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

A lot of cash too, let's not forget!

It's just needless bureacracy. Half the place have phones on them but they don't choose to reveal them (and some doubtlessly go to the jacks to check them for notes if they so wish) so the exercise is moot. The fact it's taken them 4 years to review this mans thesis shows how they're not willing to do anything more than appearing to be soundly regulated. They've got software for checking this stuff and seeing if you've lifted large parts of a text it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm being a bit off topic anyway. Sorry but anything college related still has the capacity to put me in full rant mode.

I'm not knocking Boards. They've done what they have to do. I just think it's a medium like anything else and the user should ultimately be held accountable. I know people don't use their real name but it's easy to trace who they really are. They don't use them on Twitter either and 99% of accounts are public.

It's just needless bureacracy. Half the place have phones on them but they don't choose to reveal them (and some doubtlessly go to the jacks to check them for notes if they so wish) so the exercise is moot. The fact it's taken them 4 years to review this mans thesis shows how they're not willing to do anything more than appearing to be soundly regulated. They've got software for checking this stuff and seeing if you've lifted large parts of a text it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm being a bit off topic anyway. Sorry but anything college related still has the capacity to put me in full rant mode.

I'm not knocking Boards. They've done what they have to do. I just think it's a medium like anything else and the user should ultimately be held accountable. I know people don't use their real name but it's easy to trace who they really are. They don't use them on Twitter either and 99% of accounts are public.

Shapey, You miss the point. The thesis was reviewed by an internal supervisor and I presume an external supervisor....who is usually a buddy of the internal supervisore... both of them either missed or ignored the plagerism that the 26 lecturers have since uncovered. The award was made and presumably someone either checked the thesis or referenced it to another work and it set of the alarms. The internal and external examiners and Mr. Garvey are all in the dock on this one.
    The software you talking about can only examine electronic data. The book used was apparently published locally in the mid fifties and wouldn't have been available electronically.. I'd hazard a guess this was a factor in using it.

I presume that this has been raised and an attempt to fob them off has been tried. This staff here will have stuck to their guns.

As regards to the exam regulation and yourself..it's up to you to read the exam instructions. If you didn't then you are the one that rightfully ended up in front of a committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Can anybody explain why tax and rate payers had to fork out 125,000 euro in traveling expenses to this gentleman over a period of 4 years?

Stephen King hardly made that much for one novel!

Can anybody explain why tax and rate payers had to fork out 125,000 euro in traveling expenses to this gentleman over a period of 4 years?

It was €125,000 over seven years, it's still a massive amount in expenses :eek:

Here's the story for anyone who is interested.
    The Irish Independent can today reveal that Flan Garvey, chairman of the governing body of the Institute of Technology Tralee (ITT), received more than €125,000 in college expenses over the past seven years.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/flan-garvey-got-125000-in-college-expenses-3318445.html

• Advertisement

Good question.

In my opinion, Mr Garvey is typical of the type of politician who feasted at the trough at the taxpayers expense, thereby helping to break the country.
    What are needed are people for whom public service means a willingness to offer one's expertise and experience for the betterment of the nation, without self-enrichment.

Advertisement