Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tescos packed as Wine Increase set to kck in...

Options
  • 05-12-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Tesco's Ardkeen is in danger of running out of wine in advance of the 1 EURO increase is set to kick in at midnight....

Surely all these wealthy people arent that stingy that they would stock up on Wine just to save a few euro??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tescos have a v good offer though at the moment where you get 25% off if you get 6 bottles or more, that coupled with Xmas coming up and the pending price rise cause of the budget would explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I thought buying drink was the last thing on people's minds in these tough economic times???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I thought buying drink was the last thing on people's minds in these tough economic times???

These times are enough to drive anyone to drink tbh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KevIRL wrote: »
    These times are enough to drive anyone to drink tbh

Thus, wasting money as it is a luxury and not a required expense. People have no right to complain about being broke if they are drinking it away and stacking up to save on a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Posh Dunmore Road **** :mad:

:p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

increase will not go through till January anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Goes through tonight along with fuel, any fuel knows that

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

mike65 wrote: »
    Goes through tonight along with fuel, any fuel knows that

all the big supermarkets will have full page ads in tomorrows papers, saying how they are not passing this on until January.
    this increase was expected and warehouses are full of drink with the duty already paid,
    also no increases in fuel were announced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

[Quote=mike65;8209734, any fuel knows that[/Quote]

Was that intentional ? or were you just adding fuel to the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, the increase wont be happening till January.

Hillarous scenes when it came to 10pm and they tried to close the wine aisle!

The €4 wine was already €3.27 in duty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I haven's seen the price of fuel this morning, but I get the feeling its gone up anyway just because the petrol stations can with all the hype :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

I haven's seen the price of fuel this morning, but I get the feeling its gone up anyway just because the petrol stations can with all the hype :mad:

There has been no increase in the price of fuel in the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

€1 on the bottle of wine, jebus I'm down €154 already, more than my property tax! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

all the big supermarkets will have full page ads in tomorrows papers, saying how they are not passing this on until January.
    this increase was expected and warehouses are full of drink with the duty already paid,

I hope the wine stashers feel clever today if that is the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Bards wrote: »
    There has been no increase in the price of fuel in the budget

I know that. But knowing the petrol stations, they were just dying to find any excuse to up their prices for a few hours before that was announced, or even after it because people are stupid and don't know any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I know that. But knowing the petrol stations, they were just dying to find any excuse to up their prices for a few hours before that was announced, or even after it because people are stupid and don't know any better.

that doesnt make any sense at all. do you know how little money petrol stations actually make on fuel????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sully wrote: »
    Thus, wasting money as it is a luxury and not a required expense. People have no right to complain about being broke if they are drinking it away and stacking up to save on a euro.

Maybe the people buying the wine have money, and are not on the poverty line. Not everyone is broke you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not being a drinker I wasn't aware of this, wonder if the smaller places will do likewise?
    testicle wrote: »
    Maybe the people buying the wine have money, and are not on the poverty line. Not everyone is broke you know.

True there are still many public servants who like a bottle of Blue Nun with their Pizza.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

testicle wrote: »

According to those in opposition, everyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Has anyone read the thread in AH on the Budget? There was plenty of accounts of people spending one or two hundred Euro buying 60 or 80 bottles in Lidl last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Adyx wrote: »
    Has anyone read the thread in AH on the Budget? There was plenty of accounts of people spending one or two hundred Euro buying 60 or 80 bottles in Lidl last night.

Those people are morons. Simple as. There was similar carry on in Lidl in Dungarvan yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sully wrote: »
    According to those in opposition, everyone is.

Mad really. Everyone is loaded sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The people who actually have the spare cash to go out and spend €200+ on wine within hours of the budget announcement are definitely the people who shouldn't be pissing and moaning about a €1 price-hike ffs. It's disgusting imo. Same goes for all those buying drink like it's going out of fashion the day before Good Friday. Stupid carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

so what if people stacked up on a bit of wine to save some money before the price hike, A lot of people started drinking wine at home because its cheaper than going out, if they have a few euro to themselves at the end of the week its up to them what they do with it no need to judge just because you dont do the same.
    I dont drink wine by the way just incase anyone giving out about it wanted to judge me too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Petey89 wrote: »
    so what if people stacked up on a bit of wine to save some money before the price hike, A lot of people started drinking wine at home because its cheaper than going out, if they have a few euro to themselves at the end of the week its up to them what they do with it no need to judge just because you dont do the same.
    I dont drink wine by the way just incase anyone giving out about it wanted to judge me too!!

I know it came across like I was judging, but I didn't mean it like that, what I meant was that these people don't really need to stock up to save a few euro, but if there is genuine people doing that then fair enough, I just think peoples efforts and money are better served fighting against more important things in the budget.

Like someone said, the price hike won't take effect in most supermarkets until January anyway and I hate to see that sheep mentality in action, especially over something as trivial as an alcoholic beverage. But sorry to anyone genuine who thought I was judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Jason Todd wrote: »
    what I meant was that these people don't really need to stock up to save a few euro

Why not? Buy 50 bottles and you might spend 200 total if they're cheap. You saved €1 per bottle. I don't see whats wrong with stacking up on wine which isn't going to go off but will cost you 25% more in 3 weeks time? Just because you buy a load of it with spare cash doesn't mean your an alcoholic and you'll drink it all within the month, it just means you had the foresight to save some money on an item you knew you'd be purchasing in the future regardless. I don't see why the person's financial situation should come into it. Why give the government €1 extra per bottle of wine you want when you don't have to? It makes financial sense to buy **** loads now if you have the money to invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can guarantee that those people who stocked up on 50 bottles and who might drink 2 or 3 bottles in a week normally, will not still have wine in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

looksee wrote: »
    I can guarantee that those people who stocked up on 50 bottles and who might drink 2 or 3 bottles in a week normally, will not still have wine in March.

Bingo---and that is precisely what a false economy is! They convince themselves that they are saving money, when in fact they are over-spending!!

Advertisement