Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colt 1911 .22

Options
  • 05-12-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

A pointer to somewhere that sells them and a rough price. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

pilatus wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for a 1911 in 22lr or a pointer to somewhere that sells them and a rough price. Cheers

http://www.atlanticshootingandfishing.com/product-details.aspx?id=148&expandable=0

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

rowa wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, but that particular gun is already sold. Thanks anyway. New they are going for 600 upwards. If im left with no choice ill buy one new, but a good second hand one would be sweet, save the extra euro for other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've handled, but not shot, due to the rather odd laws over here, both of the .22 calibre 1911 look-alikes. IMO the pot-metal GSG 1911 is a very low-grade item by comparision with the all-steel Iver Johnson version sold by Low Mills over here. Sure, it's more expensive, but by golly it really DOES feel like the real thing. I have a .22 Colt Ace over in Oregon, and it feels just like that.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

tac foley wrote: »
    I've handled, but not shot, due to the rather odd laws over here, both of the .22 calibre 1911 look-alikes. IMO the pot-metal GSG 1911 is a very low-grade item by comparision with the all-steel Iver Johnson version sold by Low Mills over here. Sure, it's more expensive, but by golly it really DOES feel like the real thing. I have a .22 Colt Ace over in Oregon, and it feels just like that.

tac

Tac,
    I read that thhere are issues with some .22 auto's not being able to cycle reliably.
    Any experience with the Erma Luger ?

recipio wrote: »
    Tac,
    I read that thhere are issues with some .22 auto's not being able to cycle reliably.
    Any experience with the Erma Luger ?

After watching the owner put about 400 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag through the Low Mills/Iver Johnson pistol last Sundy and on tuesday night without a single FFR, I'd have no qualms about owning one, if I could.

As with any semi-auto, you have to find out what it likes to shoot, and then stick to it. Sadly, the most reliable ammunition need not necessarily be the most accurate, but in a QUALITY firearm [do not mention the SIG Mosquito here, right?], accuracy is usually a given. Like the under-rated and beautiful Smith & Wesson Model 41 - one of the very best sports target guns ever made for not a lot of money, when you compare it with the one from which it was copied, the supreme Haemmerli 208.

As for the Erma 'Luger' look-alike', please do NOT waste your money - I had spent many years of trying to keep a club pistol like this going until it destroyed itself and got written off as a BLR item. MAYBE you'd get a magazine off without a hitch, but you probably wouldn't. The extractor has a habit of flying away with the case, and the teeny springs with them...

If you have a good one, then it's the only one I've ever heard of.

Basically its a heap of sh!te.

But hey, don't let me put you off, OK?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Why has no one mentioned the ruger mk2/3 or buckmark ? Very robust build quality, good materials in them, solid steel , no cheap and nasty zinc based pot metal as tac said, accurate and reliable.
    I don't know why you would want to stump up 600 euro for a cheap replica when for a little more you get something far more workmanlike. Also look at the cz cadet, excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Why has no one mentioned the ruger mk2/3 or buckmark ? Very robust build quality, good materials in them, solid steel , no cheap and nasty zinc based pot metal as tac said, accurate and reliable.
    I don't know why you would want to stump up 600 euro for a cheap replica when for a little more you get something far more workmanlike. Also look at the cz cadet, excellent too.

Well, I have a buckmark rifle and its nice. Not the most accurate but good fun.
    Thanks for the advice about the Erma, I'd go with the Ruger of Buckmark bull barrel.

I agree 100%.

Many Buckmarks of one kind or another over here. The only Ruger here now is the Volquartsen 'Space gun' at £2000 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbQnJzeGi-g - as the company who makes it point out, they are not interested in plinkers. A £2000 .22 pistol tells me that they are speaking the truth.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

To OP

I gave Paddy Fagan a ring (see www.gunshop.ie). I am starting out as well and gave him a ring - he gave me a price over the phone for a colt 1911 (.22) cheaper than the €600-00 you mention (or is mentioned in the thread).
    I have my heart set on a GSG 1911 - which is dearer that the 600-00, also priced of Paddy Fagan. (dosen't suffer from jamming as much as others - seems to be a lot more forgiving with cheaper ammo - according to vids posted on youtube this GSG is also marketed under the Sig Sauer brand - manufactured by GSG)

He offered to meet me at his range (his clubs range) to show me the selection of pistols available in Ireland....I hope to take him up maybe soon, but he told me he would be out of action for a while (not sure when he was back to work).

Hope this helps??

Advertisement