Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see why people chose Apple

Options
  • 05-12-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

This week I got an andriod, HTC Desire S in place of a lost iPhone.
    The device itself is nice. lots of features, radio being particularly cool.
    But then i went to set it up on my pc.

Downloaded HTC sync app. It wont install, keeps failing on the driver install.
    Googling tells me to install the android SDK. Downloaded that, but it fails as i dont have the java SDK.

Im now downloading the java sdk, but really, i just install itunes and the iphone works.

I knwo the iphone is slightly limited, but this installation procedure for an android phone is just crazy.

Is it usually this bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

now Android SDK cant see the java sdk (im on windows 64 bit). nothing a 50 line regedit file cant fix! totally crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You don't need to do any of that, unless you are a developer.

Just select mount usb from the notification bar (when it's plugged into pc).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1...I was about to ask just what you were trying to do...I think you've taken a few steps in the wrong direction imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ehhh, connect the phone, mount usb, choose to open folder from autoplay or else go to my computer to see/navigate phone storage, drag and drop whatever you want to wherever you want it. job done.

sdk is the developers kit, op. you don't need that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You don't need anything on computer. If you want an easy software try Kies Air from Google Play.
    You install Kies Air on the phone and start the little server inside, then simply connect to phone via the laptop's web browser. Simples.

• Advertisement

i was trying to install the android drivers so i could launch the android OS upgrade app.

regarding using it as just a usb device, i have a lot of music, is my only recourse to drag and drop files to the device. thats a tad akward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

How is it awkward exactly?

I have 60GB of music, organized in directories by Artist>Album.

If i want a few songs from a few artists thats a fair bit of point, click, select, drag and drop.

what about playlists, theres no such thing with the drag and drop method.

I mean an app that catalogs the files via ID3 tag, makes them searchable and allows me to copy them to the phone. now thats what i want!

And no, i dont like itunes a whole lot, but it does make syncing with your device easy.

I have a LOT of music, organized in directories by Artist>Album.

If i want a few songs from a few artists thats a fair bit of point, click, select, drag and drop.

I mean an app that catalogs the files via ID3 tag, makes them searchable and allows me to copy them to the phone. now thats what i want!

And no, i dont like itunes a whole lot, but it does make syncing with your device easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Downloading and installing the behemoth that is iTunes is a better experience? Dragging and dropping music and videos couldn't be easier!

EDIT: I'm a biased and happy Zune / WP7 user...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

If you want to use a program for syncing music, use one. If you don't, use drag and drop. Android is all about choice, control and customization.

You're criticizing it because you can't use it. I wouldn't have a notion how to use iTunes but would hold off until I at least tried to learn something.

Downloading and installing the behemoth that is iTunes is a better experience? Dragging and dropping music and videos couldn't be easier!

EDIT: I'm a biased and happy Zune / WP7 user...

iTunes may be huge, but functionality wise, it makes transferring and organizing music a breeze. a bit supprised there is nothing like it for android.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

iTunes may be huge, but functionality wise, it makes transferring and organizing music a breeze. a bit supprised there is nothing like it for android.
    There are many programs like it for Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Just spotted the thread, and I've no experience with android, but maybe this will help. Again, never used it myself.

http://m.cnet.com/news/how-to-sync-itunes-with-android/57370000?ds=1

budgemook wrote: »

aw come on dude, recommend something. dont just post a statement like that. thats not helpful.

aw come on dude, recommend something. dont just post a statement like that. thats not helpful.
    Windows media player?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

There is Doubletwist, simples to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

I have a LOT of music, organized in directories by Artist>Album.

I use apple and android devices, prefer the android myself because of what you can do with it over apple stuff!

For my music i just drag and drop, its pretty easy! But you could try the winamp app or doubletwist from Google play, might give similar functionality as itunes does, but not sure as i don't use them myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

There is.

Winamp
    My Playlist Maker (free and Pro)
    MixZing
    PlayerPro
    DoubleTwist

I don't use any of them, because I prefer the drag and drop method, but Winamp was my go to player on Windows for a long, LONG time.

FWIW, I can't stand the iTunes method for transferring music. Unfortunately, I've been forced to install iTunes on my Win7 partition, but I'm working on getting GTKpod working on my main Linux partition.

Oh yeah winamp on desktop and phone allows transfer by wifi I think so no driver related issues.

To be honest though, if you can't install device drivers you might be better off with iPhone

• Advertisement

Oh yeah winamp on desktop and phone allows transfer by wifi I think so no driver related issues.

To be honest though, if you can't install device drivers you might be better off with iPhone

Its not a case of cant, Ive never had to jump through so many hoops to install a device.

Windows Media Player looks like it will do the trick. Thanks for the recommendation

I never had a htc but all I ever had to do was Google device drivers and install them.

No hassle anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its not a case of cant, Ive never had to jump through so many hoops to install a device.

Windows Media Player looks like it will do the trick. Thanks for the recommendation

You didn't have to jump through any hoops, Android devices are plug and play. You just wish to have something similar to iTunes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This:
    You're criticizing it because you can't use it.

(To correct the thread title: People choose Apple because they're gullible fashion victims with no self control and limited learning abilities. If we're going to be snotty about it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You must be new to computing.

syklops wrote: »
    You must be new to computing.

And you must that snotty dusty dark basement IT Tech Support Guy. The kind of guy who says "well it works on my pc so i dont think theres an issue" when someone calls up with a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

It really couldn't be easier. Sounds to me like your computer does not have the correct USB driver, probably because you were messing around installing drivers when you tried to install the SDK. This is not a problem with android, it's a problem with your computer. General tip for using a computer, don't install stuff when ya don't know what it does.

A roll-back should probably solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

But your making something as simple as putting music on your phone sound like the most complicated thing imaginable. There is nothing simpler than dragging the files into your phone folder. You've also been told a way without even having to connect your phone to the computer above (I use Airdroid for this btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

And you must that snotty dusty dark basement IT Tech Support Guy. The kind of guy who says "well it works on my pc so i dont think theres an issue" when someone calls up with a problem.

If you were in his shoes the answer would be "I only know how to do it on a mac, why didn't you buy a mac"

I've multiple current devices between android and WP7.5 I've never had a single issue with android or WP7.5. You dont even need to connect the android to your PC to upgrade the OS... that was true when I had a HTC Legend and still true on my Nexus 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

dahamsta wrote: »
    This:
    (To correct the thread title: People choose Apple because they're gullible fashion victims with no self control and limited learning abilities. If we're going to be snotty about it.)

Limited learning is the product of your statement.

The OP is invested in iTunes and iPhone. He has come to expect the same simplicity on the major market competitor for that whole encompassing solution. The fact is, it's not as simple.

How good are any of the Andriod music syncing applications (or drag and drop) at keeping play counts, and skip counts and all that kind of music management stuff that platform agnostic music fans find important?

I don't see any of the competing devices doing anything that the others can't do. It's their implementation of how it's done that's slightly different.

Advertisement