Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Property Tax-self assessment?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

Is this a joke or what? Why can't they do anything properly in Ireland.

They should apply a land value tax or something. In Germany I pay property tax, but I don't have to work out the market value of my property every 3 feckin years.

Is this just to provide work for valuers or what? How can I accurately value my property in a market where so few transactions are taking place? How will Revenue police those who will deliberately under value? My neighbour could be paying a couple of hundred quid a year less for the same type of house!! This is ridiculous.

I agree in principle with property taxation to establish a more stable and wider tax base. I disagree with the hair-brained way it's being implemented. The state should value areas and tax based on the land value.

Can I use the property price register as a valid means of estimating value? What happens if I sell up? Will I be liable to CGT based on my (possibly erroneous) lower valuation or will this valuation play any role in CGT liabilities?
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement