Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a nice bar in D1

Options
  • 05-12-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a nice place to go for a couple pre-date drinks, preferably on the Luas line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

The Brew Dock on Amiens St, right at the Busaras stop, nice micro brewery type bar.
    TP Smyths would be a bit more central, down by the Jervis - Not a bad bar at all.

Even better is Frank Ryans - You'd want to google that one - Actually, that's where I'd go. Get off at the Four Courts and it's about a two minute walk. Quirky decor, good music and not too loud, great beer, nice punters, and they won't hunt you out the door at closing, you can finish your drinks at your own pace while they clean up.

Edit: By good music I mean everything from Frank Sinatra to Arcade Fire and everything in between, and on the peripherals. Really eclectic and never what you hear in the charts, or on the radio at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Black Sheep on Capel Street is nice and does a good mix of craft beers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

miamee wrote: »
    The Black Sheep on Capel Street is nice and does a good mix of craft beers :)
    +1 for Black Shape

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Did Black Sheep used to be Blue Note?

Man I miss Blue Note...coolest bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Yeah the Black Sheep used to be the Blue Note. It's a great pub. Frank Ryan's is also great as someone mentioned. The Dice Bar is close to Ryan's and is also very nice.

I don't like the Brew Dock at all. They have great beers and everything but I find that it has a completely dead atmosphere and the Staff while polite are not as friendly as in other pubs. It's ok for a pint before the bus but definitely wouldn't bring a date there. It would be the Black Sheep for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I don't like the Brew Dock at all. They have great beers and everything but I find that it has a completely dead atmosphere and the Staff while polite are not as friendly as in other pubs. It's ok for a pint before the bus but definitely wouldn't bring a date there. It would be the Black Sheep for me

I find it completely the opposite. Its my favourite of the cottage group bars. Its usually pretty busy and the staff are great. Its also incredibly handy for me!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Grand Central literally beside the Abbey St stop just off O'Connell St would be my recommendation. Alternatively hop off @ Jervis and head towards the quays, lots of cool bars around there - Koh and The Grand Social being two I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Lotts Bar at the Hapenny D1 side - just off Liffey St

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What day is it OP? The Black Sheep can be very busy after work on Thursdays and Fridays and often a lot of the tables are reserved. I find the seats a bit uncomfortable :o

+1 for the Grand Central. Usually lively enough in there and lots of little nooks where you can sit and have a private chat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

amtc wrote: »

I would second this one if youre looking for a bar, as opposed to a pub.

Nice bars in the area, Koh, Church, Lotts, Grand central and Car & O'connell(used to be panama) and the ormond wine bar.

Another option, although it isnt northside, quick hop over the Hapenney bridge and the Merchants Arch is a lovely Bar for a date. Yes tis in temple bar but it isnt typical of the area. it right next to the Merchants arch, surprisingly enough.

There is a new place above it for real Beer drinkers called the Brewery lane.

not been yet but heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

This, love the little bar in there, can't beat a small bar with a fire. Wouldn't base myself there for a full date though.

Grand Central is only across the road and would be decent and lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ely Wine bar for that 2006 Celtic Tiger nostalgia.

http://www.elywinebar.ie/restaurants/ely-bar-brasserie

They also serve excellent beer and cocktails if you are not a wine drinker. Try the Budvar, it's excellent - I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress, and now, Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Big Game wrote: »
    This, love the little bar in there, can't beat a small bar with a fire. Wouldn't base myself there for a full date though.

Grand Central is only across the road and would be decent and lively.

Grand Social, Grand Central is on corner of O'Connell and Abbey St.

Grand.

The Gin Palace is a pretty nice pub, avoid T.P. Smith's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

When I said the Lotts, I meant the lounge part - rather than the bar part - was there Friday and was nice without being over crowded as Grand Central can be.

Alternatively the bar in the Morrison is nice, as is the Church - thinking of places where I can hear and get a seat! Showing my age!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

When I said the Lotts, I meant the lounge part - rather than the bar part - was there Friday and was nice without being over crowded as Grand Central can be.

Alternatively the bar in the Morrison is nice, as is the Church - thinking of places where I can hear and get a seat! Showing my age!

I think the Morrison is closed. Not sure why maybe banks closed it? I saw a load of delivery trucks emptying it a few Sundays ago with signs on the doors saying hotel closed. The guy who use to own it died recently didn't he? But I think he was in NAMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I think the Morrison is closed. Not sure why maybe banks closed it? I saw a load of delivery trucks emptying it a few Sundays ago with signs on the doors saying hotel closed. The guy who use to own it died recently didn't he? But I think he was in NAMA

Closed for Refurbishment

http://www.morrisonhotel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Closed for Refurbishment

http://www.morrisonhotel.ie/

How old was it that it needed a complete refurb? Dodgy Celtic tiger builders or going for a new look I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

How old was it that it needed a complete refurb? Dodgy Celtic tiger builders or going for a new look I wonder?

It was bought very recently by a russian billionaire, so i imagine she is having it redesigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

liffeylite wrote: »
    It was bought very recently by a russian billionaire, so i imagine she is having it redesigned.

Installing hookers?

Advertisement