Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

samsung s3 v HTC one x

Options
  • 05-12-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a new phone (3gs current phone) I want to move on to something new that is not an iPhone. I have narrowed my choices down to these 2 handsets I am just wondering which one would be a better choice to go for.

Would like to hear personal experiences if anyone on here has either one.

I am currently on pay as you go but might switch over to bill if its not crazy money like the iphone 5 is monthly. For the people that own either of these phones mentioned above what type of contract are you on.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Galaxy S3 on Meteor's Smart 30 18 month contract.

Personally I love the phone. Fast, nice size, good weight. Got it at the cheaper price so I was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

BroLo wrote: »
    Galaxy S3 on Meteor's Smart 30 18 month contract.

Personally I love the phone. Fast, nice size, good weight. Got it at the cheaper price so I was delighted.

I like the sound of that contract, what do you get for it I assume its 30 euro a month going by the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

chriity139 wrote: »
    I like the sound of that contract, what do you get for it I assume its 30 euro a month going by the name of it

25 a month for 12 30 for the last 6

200 mins 200 texts 1GB free meteor to meteor calls and texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

A nexus 4 is cheaper, better specced than both..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    A nexus 4 is cheaper, better specced than both..

Eh, how exactly is it better spec'd?

• Advertisement

Faster anyway: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Calves-and-quad-cores-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-vs-Samsung-Exynos-4412-vs-Huawei-K3V2-vs-NVIDIA-Tegra-3_id35768 S4 Pro is an amazing chip apparantly, and the fastest phone around.

Also updates straight from google, better developer support, nonpentile and sharper screen, more info here http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-nexus-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3

Only downside is less memory space and non user removeable battery (but would you really change that?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Faster anyway: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Calves-and-quad-cores-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-vs-Samsung-Exynos-4412-vs-Huawei-K3V2-vs-NVIDIA-Tegra-3_id35768 S4 Pro is an amazing chip apparantly, and the fastest phone around.

Also updates straight from google, better developer support, nonpentile and sharper screen, more info here http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-nexus-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3

Only downside is less memory space and non user removeable battery (but would you really change that?)

It's faster in a single cpu test, but phonearena.com still have the S3 coming out on top in their direct comparison, they say the Samsung Galaxy S III appears to deliver a more well rounded performance.
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Nexus-4-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III_id3196/page/4

The thing is, all of these top end smartphones are lightning fast. The hardware is very similar, too similar to even call one faster or better spec'd than the other. You would be perfectly happy with any of the three to be totally honest.

Myself, I'd opt for the Nexus 4, just for the Google support, it does come a slight drawback though (lack of sd card slot)

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's faster in a single cpu test, but phonearena.com still have the S3 coming out on top in their direct comparison, they say the Samsung Galaxy S III appears to deliver a more well rounded performance.
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Nexus-4-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III_id3196/page/4

The thing is, all of these top end smartphones are lightning fast. The hardware is very similar, too similar to even call one faster or better spec'd than the other. You would be perfectly happy with any of the three to be totally honest.

Myself, I'd opt for the Nexus 4, just for the Google support, it does come a slight drawback though (lack of sd card slot)

You do have a point in a way to be honest, although I haven't tried the S4pro yet I know even though the clock speed increase mightn't seem like much (1.4 to 1.8 quad?) the architecture is A15 instead of A9 so it's more optimised, supposedly faster and easier on battery. It's sort of like how the S4 with 2 cores on the one S often came out faster than the Tegra 3 on one X purely becuase it had better architecture.

But yeah benchmarks aren't everything, and for me I know SD cards mean nothing to me. Like whne I had a slot I only ever had a 4gb card so upgrading to 32 GB with no slot was still an upgrade :D

never consider the nexus 4 it looks very promising

chriity139 wrote: »
    never consider the nexus 4 it looks very promising

True, allthough there's a big price difference than buying it through LG or through Google (more than twice)

• Advertisement

twice the price if you buy it through google than the shops or the other way around

Google is half the price than LG :) Though there's a workaround thread somewhere using parcelmotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ShortyNolan

I'm on the €35 a month meteor bill pay, 200 mins 200 texts 1gb data and all free meteor to meteor with the HTC One X 12 month contract. Both are a great choice but I just prefer the HTC Sense. Definitely don't get an iPhone anyway.

Google is half the price than LG :) Though there's a workaround thread somewhere using parcelmotel.
    haha i thought that said paracetamal at first :D i will have a look into it
    I'm on the €35 a month meteor bill pay, 200 mins 200 texts 1gb data and all free meteor to meteor with the HTC One X 12 month contract. Both are a great choice but I just prefer the HTC Sense. Definitely don't get an iPhone anyway.
    dont worry im getting away from iphones now i think nearly 4 years is enough to drive you up the wall with apple phones

Har har I pay 15.25 for that plan :D I have the oneX and as much as I like it, the tegra platform has fallen behind, and the battery makes me want to cry when I can't get a full day of use if I even turn the screen on

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ShortyNolan

What network and how much did you pay for the phone though?

What network and how much did you pay for the phone though?

Meteor, phone nicked of my dad who had an iphone but somehow ended up with 2 company phones

Advertisement