Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up a new subject?

• 05-12-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone. Long time reader, 1st time poster here. Im in 6th year atm and am struggling with physics. My subjects are physics, french, chemistry and geography. Im fine with most of chemistry, french is fine and so is geography. So im not thinking of dropping physics cos i feel i will pass it but that wont do for points. Is it possible to take up a new subject in 6th year? I was thinking maybe biology (because i'm already doing 2 science subjects) or ag science or possibly religion?? I need a b in it so would it be possible at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

ella.cole wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Long time reader, 1st time poster here. Im in 6th year atm and am struggling with physics. My subjects are physics, french, chemistry and geography. Im fine with most of chemistry, french is fine and so is geography. So im not thinking of dropping physics cos i feel i will pass it but that wont do for points. Is it possible to take up a new subject in 6th year? I was thinking maybe biology (because i'm already doing 2 science subjects) or ag science or possibly religion?? I need a b in it so would it be possible at this stage?

Forget subjects with projects or experiment books.

You could taken up Economics or German maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ella.cole

Forget subjects with projects or experiment books.

You could taken up Economics or German maybe.

how wud it be easier to learn a brand new language before the LC than to learn a science though? :confused: I dont speak german. Also i didnt do business studies for the junior so id be too far behind in economics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

ella.cole wrote: »

how wud it be easier to learn a brand new language before the LC than to learn a science though? :confused: I dont speak german. Also i didnt do business studies for the junior so id be too far behind in economics

Eco is really short and TBH I think its too late to start. Just try focus on physics more. I know it sounds stupid :) but its the only way

But yeah what would you ideally like to get in physics?

Eco is really short and TBH I think its too late to start. Just try focus on physics more. I know it sounds stupid :) but its the only way

But yeah what would you ideally like to get in physics?

Well im getting As in chemistry, french and english. Geography depends (sometimes As and sometimes Bs) and maths is usually Cs. Irish is only ol so i wont be counting it but if i only get a d in physics the i will have to count it! :( Id love to get a b in physics but thats looking verry unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

To be honest, taking up another language is nothing short of madness! Biology is easy and very doable. I'd highly recommend it. With regards experiments, you only have to write them up in an experiment booklet. Not rocket science and should be done in an evening. There is a good bit of rote learning and little understanding needed, so you'd need to get familiar with it soon.

I suggest you stick with the physics tho. It's a lovely subject, it does however require a lot of understanding. But you'd be surprised how easy a B is if you do all past exam papers! The questions are fairly repeatitive as there's only so many things they can ask you about :-) Hope this helps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I certainly wouldn't take up Biology if I were you anyway. You'd be better off continuing on with physics and work hard for it.

I do Biology and I get decent enough marks in it but it is a long course and although it's straight-foreword it requires a lot of time and effort. If you were to put in the same amount of work into either biology or physics I'm sure you would get a better grade in physics. I myself used to struggle in physics (bad teacher :P), and Ive gone to get grinds and put in some work which really pays off, although I'm certainly not an A student yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Hi, I'd also recommend sticking with the physics at this stage! Biology may be manageable if you were willing to work really hard until June, and if you're good at rote learning things... but that said, wouldn't it make more sense to maybe start getting physics grinds? If you're passing then you have the basic knowledge, maybe you just need help with the more difficult parts? I certainly don't recommend taking up religion at this stage! That is one of the most lengthy and difficult subjects on offer and it has very little resources so you need to spend hours making out notes and essays on the many many outcomes! Coming from someone who did 2 sciences and religion, I'll tell you that religion needs nearly more work than the 2 sciences put together! (but I didn't do physics- it was biology and chemistry for me!) I'd say stick witht eh physics and maybe seek extra help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Just stick with physics and choose your questions carefully, there aren't that many experiments so if you made sure you knew them really well them you could try answer all the section A questions and then the option ( i'm doing particle physics) is supposed to be fairly okay to get full marks in. I would reccommed doing Q 5 as if you get just one of those parts wrong you still will get most of the marks for the question. The other questions then are a matter of just deciding what you want to learn and choosing the right questions for you in the exam.:o

Thanks everyone! I think i'll stick with physics, we've just started the option (particle physics) and i'm actually finding it very easy :)

Advertisement