Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knackered SATA pins..

Options
  • 05-12-2012 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Installing a second drive in the Better Halfs PC and have discovered that 2 out of the 4 SATA sockets are mullered :(

tempimage.jpg

As you can see, one master on the right, which should be red, has the pins broken & the red socket on left had come adrift from the other set, which I got back on after much gentle persuasion :p

Question is this: the red socket is just sitting there.....it will move freely & come away if the cable is unplugged again......... how wise would a dab of superglue be? :eek:

Or maybe just sniff the glue & be done with it :D

I have tried booting with the drive plugged into one of the slave sockets, it will boot ok but requires hitting F1 at boot as it doesn't find the master disk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Can you go into BIOS and disable the broken SATA port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Have the boot drive working OK from the repaired red socket & slave drive connected to black socket & all working fine.

Can anyone suggest the best was to fix the red pin surround to the motherboard to prevent it coming loose again?

Me fear is that any future tinkering inside the case will bugger it up for good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

you can boot from a bootable drive plugged into the slave sata ports... but you need to set the boot order to boot from your bootable drive in the bios boot order list.

in reality there really is no such thing as slave / master drives when it comes to sata. Any sata port can be set to master in the bios by assigning the connected drive to be first on the boot order..

Advertisement