Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets see your Cribs.

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

..and I dont mean what you see on MTV.:D

Does anyone put up a crib and figures at Christmass time??

Im not very religious at all,but I allways put up the crib and figures.

Its a tradition that my mam allways used to do in the family home,so she gave me the very old crib and figures and asked me to carry on this tradition in my own house each Christmass.

So does anyone else here put up a crib at Christmass??

Pics please.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

We permanently retired the crib after the youngest was told about Santa

"Okaaaaay....and what about Je......"

"Yeah, neither does he...."

;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We build our crib up over the four weeks of advent. In the first week we put in rocks and crystals. In the second week we put in flowers and foliage. In the third week we put in animals. In the last week the holy family start making their journey to the stable. Every night the figures move across the room a little closer to the crib arriving on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning the baby Jesus is there and there are angels and a star hanging from the ceiling. I can't for the life of me find a decent picture from another year atm but if I remember I'll put one up after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

nah, I prefer the pagan christmas myself. I don't put coca cola bottles around the place either. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have never had a crib/manger but I am thinking of getting one this year after helping my friend decorate hers. :)

I really have no idea where to get one though actually!! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Posy wrote: »
    I have never had a crib/manger but I am thinking of getting one this year after helping my friend decorate hers. :)

I really have no idea where to get one though actually!! :o

Garden Centre,Arrnots,Clerys,Homestore & More and some DIY stores.

Or you could make a crib from somee bits of white deal wood,some half inch plywood and some xmass tree branches.

• Advertisement

Well here is mine.

Its a pop up crib.

The crib and figures have been pased down through the family over various generations.

Crib and figures are over 100 years old at this stage (104 years to be exact).

As I said,Im not very religious (barely in fact)..but this is a family tradition,so its good to keep it going.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yours is gorgeous paddy. The only crib I have is this :D The top bit spins with the heat from the tea light. Got it in Homestore & More for €5.99.

miamee wrote: »
    Yours is gorgeous paddy. The only crib I have is this :D The top bit spins with the heat from the tea light. Got it in Homestore & More for €5.99.

I like that.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well here is mine.

Its a pop up crib.

The crib and figures have been pased down through the family over various generations.

As I said,Im not very religious (barely in fact)..but this is a family tradition,so its good to keep it going.
    I can't see your images. Do you mind me asking what is a pop up crib? :)

Made for hardboard/ heavy cardboard type material with a rough surface and it pops up and out to make an actual crib.

16 inches long x 12 inches tall x 6 deep

• Advertisement

Go on then..tell me how to embed the picture????:)

Well I just can't see it right now because I'm on my phone!

But if you click the little (yellow?) square icon that looks like it has a stamp at the top right and enter the image url it should embed. Like this:
    PICTURE without the spaces of course. ;)

Hmm.. think I'll go crib shopping this weekend. I have never had one in the house, I can start a tradition! :D

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0050t.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well here is mine.

Its a pop up crib.

Good enough reason for me. In fact for me Christmas is all about family and connection etc. Even if I don't believe in the religious aspect and even though the crib is referencing the religious aspect, for me personally it would be about referencing the family connection to past generations. Wasn't lucky enough to be passed down a family heirloom like that with connections and menories attached to it though. Our crib was a chipboard thing bought in an 80's thrift store, so it went in the bin after it outlived its welcome :D

Oooh it's lovely! Very rustic and classy looking. :):)

Oooh it's lovely! Very rustic and classy looking. :):)

Starting to show its age now though,the figures are all chipped (especially at the bases) and there is a very small tear at the back of the crib (right hand corner).

But its still going strong,at 104 years old..and counting.

But its still going strong,at 104 years old..and counting.
    Wow!!

Surely there is more than 2 of us here on this forum/thread with a crib????...(and I dont mean what you see on MTV).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is mine - it sits on the stove in the fireplace. I bought it in Amsterdam a couple of years ago and thought it was lovely and unique and of course then they are selling them in the shops over here the next Christmas.

Crib.jpg

I have my eye on my mother's crib as well, it was the one she had growing up and even though half the figures have been decapitated I'd love to get it restored. A proper piece of family tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Here's mine. It's very precious.:D

ezekah.png

I know it's not the type of crib the OP meant but I couldn't resist.

• Advertisement

There are no farm animals and where is the frankincense???!

He is beautiful though, so I will let you away with it! A very special Christmas for you and Mr. Iguana. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mine is kinda minimalist but I like it :)

DSC_4672.JPG

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We have a crib and a nativity statue type thing which I'll put up pics of later. We're not holy joes or anything but my mum and dad would go to mass every week and I still have my faith even if I don't go to mass every week :-)

K, here they are! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Here is mine. The crib was made by my grandfather and my mother knitted the figures. Baby Jesus is missing and wont be put in until Christmas eve.

Here is mine. The crib was made by my grandfather and my mother knitted the figures. Baby Jesus is missing and wont be put in until Christmas eve.

So cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

leahyl wrote: »
    K, here they are! :)

I love this, especially the second photo. I have a real thing for religious iconography, don't really know why. Those figurines are both slightly scary and super cool. How did you get them? Love that you have them up in your house.

Super cute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

Mine is kinda minimalist but I like it :)

DSC_4672.JPG

Not into that kind of thing but found it very peaceful and relaxing to see, not quite sure why. Where did you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Odelay wrote: »

Not into that kind of thing but found it very peaceful and relaxing to see, not quite sure why. Where did you get it?

Judy Greene pottery Galway

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement