Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing bras

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some nursing bra brands and/or where to buy them?

I have two different styles from mothercare; one offers good support but doesn't fold down easily for nursing so becomes very uncomfortable; the other is very soft cotton so better for folding down but I feel like it offers no support & my boobs are sagging.

Also, I need to sleep in my bra due to leaking and find both v uncomfortable when I've been wearing a while in bed, like the band around my ribcage below the boobs is too narrow and starts cutting in.

Have you found a great nursing bra you could suggest?

I'm wearing a 36d at the moment, got measured as this in mothercare, but not totally convinced it's the right size (used to be a 34a).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Marks and spencers do some really comfie ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Can anyone recommend some nursing bra brands and/or where to buy them?

I have two different styles from mothercare; one offers good support but doesn't fold down easily for nursing so becomes very uncomfortable; the other is very soft cotton so better for folding down but I feel like it offers no support & my boobs are sagging.

Also, I need to sleep in my bra due to leaking and find both v uncomfortable when I've been wearing a while in bed, like the band around my ribcage below the boobs is too narrow and starts cutting in.

Have you found a great nursing bra you could suggest?

I'm wearing a 36d at the moment, got measured as this in mothercare, but not totally convinced it's the right size (used to be a 34a).

On the wearing bras to bed, would you try sleeping on a towel instead? Like you, I can't stand the band at night, but a bath towel doubled over totally solves the problem.

I've had 4 of the soft cotton Mothercare bras that open down for feeding since before no.1 was born. Never got out of them as no. 2 is arriving very soon and I'm just finishing weaning the first lad. I know they don't offer a huge amount of support, but I couldn't live without them! I find you just need to tighten up the straps periodically as they stretch out more and more over time. I've had Debenhams and Next ones too but they were all binned after a fairly short time as they were too uncomfortable and never washed as well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hot milk and Anita bras!
    Look out for deals on zulily.co.uk
    I can't wear any thing with a narrow strap, my boobs are too heavy. These have a great wide shoulder strap.
    Once born also have a selection of nursing bras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I've bf three kids and I found Cake to be the best by far. All of the m&s and mothercare ones and even the more expensive Hot Milk ones got knackered really quickly and offered no support whatsoever. You really put them through a lot what with all the opening and closing of the cups. Cake have great support and they're the only ones that have lasted the distance without loosing their shape. If you're planning on having a few kids they're definitely worth the bigger price tag. You can get them online or there's a shop in Ranelagh in Dublin that sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I bought the bravado bras from once born. The most comfie bras ever and great support too. I bought them for this pregnancy with the intention of keeping them for breastfeeding after. They hold their shape very well. I hated the m&s ones and the last couple of times they measured me incorrectly so it was a total waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

h&m have wired ones. I found them to be the best for me aside from M&S. THe wired h&m ones are really easy to pull down and because they have a wire they are very supportive. Also they have a band in between the cups if you know what I mean, they are not linked like the others that pull your boobs together in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

liliq wrote: »
    Hot milk and Anita bras!
    I can't wear any thing with a narrow strap, my boobs are too heavy. These have a great wide shoulder strap.

Definitely Anita bras - I have 5 of them, 3 with underwire, great straps and shape. They've done me through 2 babies. Royce are a close second. I ordered all of mine from this site - delivery is £1!

I only used the M&S (2 in a box) ones for bed.

This might give you a laugh - went in trying on bras in M&S when pregnant with #1 and was shocked to find a 36H fitted me :eek::eek: When the woman asked me how I got on, the reply was a mortified "think I've worked my way through the alphabet now, thanks".

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Thanks so much for all the tips, guys.

Re wearing a bra to bed - I'm only really comfortable sleeping on my back, cos my boobs are still very sore (week 4 with my first child - bf-ing isn't as horrendously painful as it was in the first week, but my boobs are still achey afterwards and my nippes are insanely sensitive). So I leak all over my duvet if I don't wear a bra (lined with pads), and it runs everywhere when i get up in the night for feedings / changings.

If anyone has any particular tips for bed bras or similar, that'd be great too.

Thanks mammas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I used to sleep with a towel around me - attractive or what! The leaking calms down after a while. I also had to buy a waterproof mattress cover for the first few months! The M&S non-wired ones are great for bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

liliq wrote: »
    Hot milk and Anita bras!

I 2nd this, hot milk all the way for larger sizes. Also I would advise getting measured in a lingerie shop, I wouldn't trust mother are when its not really their area of expertise.

You can buy them much cheaper online but get measured up first.

• Advertisement

Re wearing a bra to bed - I'm only really comfortable sleeping on my back, cos my boobs are still very sore (week 4 with my first child - bf-ing isn't as horrendously painful as it was in the first week, but my boobs are still achey afterwards and my nippes are insanely sensitive). So I leak all over my duvet if I don't wear a bra (lined with pads), and it runs everywhere when i get up in the night for feedings / changings.

Thanks mammas!

I didn't leak for long thankfully, but I found even with my mahoosive boobs that a hidden support vest top with breast pads did the trick instead of a bra- but I could never sleep in a bra so it was just what worked for me!
    The bravado ones that how strange mentioned look like they would be lovely for sleeping in.
    Cake! I need to try those, and the Royce ones! The cake ones are very pretty too which is nice.
    I hate spending so much on bras but my back is in bits unless I wear a decent bra.

As for where to buy- cupcakes in Ranelagh do cake definitely, and bt sell hotmilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

I got mine in debenhams, couldnt fault them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Thanks mammas!

I got some really nice nursing pj's from hot milk. They had built in support but were really comfy and quite pretty too. I also got a nursing bra from a nz brand called womama which was my go to whenever I was really engorged because it was so comfy and had mega support. Not sure if they sell in Europe tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I mostly wear large sports crop top style 'bras' in bed. They are comfier than a bra but will hold a couple of breast pads and can just be pulled down under a boob when I need to feed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I found the penneys cotton nursing bras fine. They have a type of peephole for your nipple, the other nursing bras I have, mostly from mothercare the cup just opens down. My boobs aren't massive though only a c cup but some of the bras I've worn are d cups. I think it's best to have a little room for nipple pads and for times when you are rather swollen. I can't go without a bra due to leaking and found cotton bras were definitely the most comfortable even if they are very thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I think it very much depends on what size you are. I balooned from an already not small 32 F to a massive 36GG. Most nursing bras I tried on gave me a massive and hideous monoboob. I found that the best of a bad lot are the Miriam Stoppard range in Debenhams.

I've ordered a bra from www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk so I'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

I find my H&M bras the comfiest during the day.

For night wear, mothercare do sleep wrap bras. They look like sports bras but are made of soft cotton. They are very comfy and will hold the breastpads in place.
    (incidentally, I find the avent nighttime pads to be the best and can I just announce somewhere that this morning was the first morning that I have woken up with dry breast pads! The end is in sight!!!! DD is 4 months old.....)

Advertisement