Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest ISSF Mens Prone World Ranking list

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psf32

well done mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ouch, I see Maik Eckhardt's gotten ahead of you again. Shall have to fix that so you cna get back to giving him grief about it! ;)

Congrats Floydster! I don't think any other Irish rifle shooter has had an ISSF top 50 ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

Cheers Guys!

I had a bit of digging to do to get some results!;)
    Very little coverage on even last years Nationals ffs and as for Munich WC !, I might as well stick these up!;)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/180002/177624.pdf

http://www.issf-sports.org/xmlresultpage.aspx?cshipid=1296&resultkey=E10200_I_2405121330.1.FR60PR.0

http://www.issf-sports.org/xmlresultpage.aspx?cshipid=1296&resultkey=Q10000_I_2505120830.1.FR60PR.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

WAY above Matt Emmons too!

Not a bad place when Emmons has Olympic gold and silver in that event! He's been having some gun problems over the last while apparently, which only goes to show how important the ultimate in equipment performance is for prone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Top 20? Feck me lad, that's fantastic! Easily the best rifle rating we've ever had. I thought we had a rating or two in the top 50 in the past (I thought Rhona and Alan made it into the top 50s after Atlanta and Sydney respectively), but I'd have to check (I've got the records open here but it'll take a few minutes to format everything and I'm at work so bear with me...)

And yeah, we should see more coverage of the prone stuff, but nobody's writing the articles. Even the air coverage we get is just because I tend to write stuff about what I'm doing; you need to get some more loudmouths in prone and chain them to a keyboard :)

Not top 20 yet Sparks, but it's definitely on the cards if he has another year as good as the last one! Maybe with a few extra competitions to earn the points. Be nice to see a couple of Irish flags up there in those lists.

IRL Rifle Rankings records (top 50 only)
    Shooter|Rk|Cs City Year|Event|Cat|Comp
    Alan Lewis|||||
    |41|OG SYDNEY 2000|FR60PR||587
    Richard Stapleton Jr||||||||
    |27|ECH PLZEN 2003|FR60PR|Junior|584
    |48|ECH PLZEN 2003|FR3X40|Junior|1088
    Declan Kelly|||||
    |25|WC FORT BENNING 1994|FR3X40||1106
    |30|WC HAVANA 1995|AR60||572
    |35|WC HAVANA 1995|FR3X40||1120
    |36|WC FORT BENNING 1994|FR60PR||586
    Liam Spillane|||||
    |47|ECH GOTHENBURG 2003|AR60|Junior|576
    Sandy Wilson|||||
    |25|WC FORT BENNING 1994|FR3X40||1106
    |29|WC FORT BENNING 1994|FR60PR||588
    Rhona Barry|||||
    |43|OG ATLANTA 1996|AR40||382
    |27|WC FORT BENNING 1994 |STR3X20||538
    |32|WC HAVANA 1995 |STR3X20||536
    |33|WC HAVANA 1995 |AR40||373
    |33|WC FORT BENNING 1994 |AR40||372
    |44|WC ATLANTA 1996|AR40||386
    |28|ECH MUNICH 2000|AR40||390

(ISSF->Boards.ie record translation's a bit odd, so if this shows up misformatted, bear with me and hit reload...)

So 20's almost the lowest ever in any rifle discipline I can find FLOYDSTER, nicely done :D

Yeah, I said almost, there was this one record in the ISSF database y'see....
    Shooter|Rk|Cs City Year|Event|Cat|Comp|Final|Total
    FLOYDSTER|7|WC MUNICH 1996|FR60PR||594|101.5|695.5
    |13|WC MILAN 1999|FR60PR||593||593|

Not top 20 yet Sparks
    Ah, feck, I was reading the rating field and not the ranking one (the ISSF table's not the most user-friendly thing I've ever seen).

Those are match placings though Sparks, rather than world rankings. I imagine it'd be difficult if not impossible to get historical rankings other than those for individual matches. Still pretty cool. I didn't know about all of those results at all.

• Advertisement

BTW, there are a *lot* of IRL rifle/pistol shooters in the top 100-ish on the rankings (I'll do up the table after work tonight); and since the rankings do require you to go to international matches (which aren't cheap), we're doing damn well given our circumstances. And FLOYDSTER's setting a damn high bar (ye bollix :D )

Oh, and for those who are wondering how all this stuff works, here's how from the ISSF website:
    The ISSF world ranking system is based on two key factors of the shooting performance. It includes beside the placing (rank) of the shooter also the result achieved by the shooters in the 15 Olympic shooting events at ISSF supervised championships and competitions.

The ISSF world rankings produce event rankings only. The event rankings evaluate the shooters competing in a single event and determine the world's best shooter in a specific event.

The rankings are determined by the performance score of the shooters. The higher the score, the higher the shooter is ranked. After each competition, the shooters obtain points for their performances. These performance points are awarded for the rank (category A) achieved and the result (category B) achieved by the shooter. The performance score is achieved by combining the points of category A and the points of category B.

(points of category A + points of category B)
    Points achieved in category A:

The points for the ranking depend on the final rank a shooter achieves in a certain competition. Points can only be achieved in a final competition for rank 1 to 20. The number of points available for each competition varies according to the level and significance of the competition. The competitions are categorized, and the points achieved vary in each category as follows:
    There are tables for how many points go for each rank from 1st place down to 20th place; and there's a multiplier factor depending on the kind of event (eg the Olympics gets a higher multiplier than the world cups; and the points only last for so long (so you have to keep going to matches to keep your ranking up - and the time they last also varies according to matches - 2 years for olympic games or world championships, 1 year for everything else.
    OLYMPIC GAMES 1st place: 100 x 36 = 3600 points.
    WORLD CUP FINAL 1st place: 100 x 12 = 1200 points.

Points achieved in category B:
    The points for the result achieved are calculated for a particular score depending on its relation to the current, valid world record score in the qualification round – not including the score of the final round. Consequently, a maximum of 100 points can be obtained in category B by tying the world record or setting a new world record in the qualification round.

To compare the scores of each event that fall between the maximum limit of the world record score (WR) and the minimum limit of the minimum qualification score (MQS), an ISSF world ranking and scoring table was developed.
    The scoring table is on the ISSF page for anyone interested...
    This scoring table is based on the scores of the previous four years, in which the world record is the maximum score and the MQS the minimum. Between them, the average scores of all the 8th ranks and all the 20th ranks at all ISSF supervised championships are calculated.

The points from both A and B categories are then added together and show the performance score for the ISSF world rankings of each shooter achieved in a specific championship. This value changes with time and moves closer to zero with each passing day at a given rate depending on the valid period of a championship.

All of which basicly means that it's a monumental amount of effort and dedication to get a top-level ranking. It's not a case of going to one match and having a good day; it's years of effort and large amounts of commitment. It takes a lot of time, a lot of brass and quite a bit of money to get into the top 50, let alone the top 20 or top ten.

So FLOYDSTER and the others (and the ones in the top 100 as well, several of whom post here and almost all of whom read here) deserve a pretty fecking loud round of applause.

(And all that has just been for the rifle shooting - there's pistol and shotgun as well and we punch way above our weight there too...)

Sparks wrote: »
    Ah, feck, I was reading the rating field and not the ranking one (the ISSF table's not the most user-friendly thing I've ever seen).

LOL!, yeah was posting re: World Ranking Sparks not the event ranking! :D

FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    LOL!, yeah was posting re: World Ranking Sparks not the event ranking! :D

Alas, the event ranking was pretty tasty last year. Twelfth in the elimination round in Munich!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

You could get some ISSF rankings by going through the magazine archive http://www.issf-sports.org/news/the_magazine/archive.ashx

Yeah... this may take a bit longer than I thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

BTW, there are a *lot* of IRL rifle/pistol shooters in the top 100-ish on the rankings (I'll do up the table after work tonight); and since the rankings do require you to go to international matches (which aren't cheap), we're doing damn well given our circumstances. And FLOYDSTER's setting a damn high bar (ye bollix :D )

Is there not a requirement for a qualification score, as well as the money??

If not I'll be headin off next year myself! ;)

intershoot wrote: »
    Is there not a requirement for a qualification score, as well as the money??

If not I'll be headin off next year myself! ;)

Depends who you are!;), so you're fooked!! lol, although I hear if you do the score in training you're in!:D

I did ask the question at the AGM about Qualification matches and scores but it was a little hazy!, I think there will be certain matches put on and used for qualification and you'll have to shoot a certain score at these matches to qualify for the chance of going to the major match the qualification match was put on for!;)

but just to recap..........you're fooked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

I hear if you do the score in training you're in!!!

Excellent! :p

BTW, there are a *lot* of IRL rifle/pistol shooters in the top 100-ish on the rankings (I'll do up the table after work tonight);

Come on Slack Boy!!, we are waiting :D:D

• Advertisement

do not think he find any one else on the list mate.

I drop off the pistol list on the last update was not happy about it as did make it to just out the top 100 on the issf list and the top 80 in Europe .

and just looked Mr Duff and you are = 49 in Europe with Mr STIRTON :D

Yeah, he might find some historically, but I'm afraid I think FLOYDSTER's going to be the only one in any ISSF top 100 at the moment if you've dropped out psf. It really is no mean feat whatsoever to get there and it's really worthy of commendation. I do hope we see a few more Irish in there in the next few years. We're getting healthier and healthier these days.

Ouch, just had a look and poor Ray Kane is at 101 in 10m air rifle. Close, but will hopefully get well over that line this year.

Ouch, just had a look and poor Ray Kane is at 101 in 10m air rifle. Close, but will hopefully get well over that line this year.

and in Europe ray is

74(74)8KANE Raymond1971irl.gifIRL

psf32 wrote: »
    and in Europe ray is

74(74)8KANE Raymond1971irl.gifIRL

Nice one. That's a better reflection. And again, something that can be improved on this year.

intershoot wrote: »
    Is there not a requirement for a qualification score, as well as the money?
    Cheeky bugger :D
    Depends who you are!;), so you're fooked!! lol, although I hear if you do the score in training you're in!:D
    Only if your coach signs off on it and the NTSA agrees with him, and even then only if there's an available place. (And if they're looking at your kit and thinking "How the bleep is he even hitting the card, let alone the ten in that pile of blank?", that can be a factor as well :p )
    I did ask the question at the AGM about Qualification matches and scores but it was a little hazy!
    Ah, here!
    As in, literally, here (and here) :D

(btw, while we're being cheeky, ahem and cough,cough :p)
    Cheeky git :D The little fella is down sick, so it's taken longer to find out that they don't have the data - it's not archived in the magazines before 2009, there doesn't seem to be any month-by-month archive in the ISSF website, the ESC might have their european-only rankings in theirs (still checking that) but there doesn't seem to be anywhere nice and neat to go to for the rankings :(

Nice one. That's a better reflection. And again, something that can be improved on this year.
    Yup, especially after the 590 "limit" finally got put to rest :)

Also from the European rankings btw...
    49(49) FLOYDSTER IRL

95(94) MiGiD IRL

Not sure why psf isn't in there though, I would have thought he would have been.

I had no idea I had a European ranking. Weird.

MiGiD wrote: »
    I had no idea I had a European ranking. Weird.
    I'm guessing it's based on the scores from Finland earlier this year?

• Advertisement

Ooh I also have a World Ranking :)

Advertisement