Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone elses photos on my phone

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently upgraded from the I phone 4s to Samsung galaxy 3 with Vodafone.
    About 3 weeks ago I attempted to download 53 photos that I had taken that weekend and I was surprised at how long this was taking to complete.
    When it finally finished downloading I realised that I had 1487 photos in my new folder.
    When I looked through the photos I quickly realised that the vast majority of the pics were not taken by me but by someone on a family sun holiday.
    While the photos were not very explicit , Im sure some of them may cause embarrassment to the people involved . Also, in the hands of paedophiles ,I dread to think what would happen.
    Anyway I rang Vodafone to tell them what I found and they told me to contact the shop where I got the phone. The lad in the shop assured me it was abrand new phone out of a sealed box , he said he would look into it and get back to me.
    A week later I called the shop to enquire if they made any progress with thier enquiries but was told that the lad involved was working in one of thier other stores and promised that They would get him to ring me later that day.
    That is now 4 days ago and I still havnt heard from anyone.
    Can anyone suggest what I should do about this ?
    I am not going to just forget about it like I suspect the staff in the shop expect me to.
    Should I try to trace the family that appear in the pictures to alert them that these exist ? I'd imagine they would go crazy about this.
    Who is to blame for the pics been on my phone ?
    Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

obviously sold a second hand phone, there can be no other explanation. get a new one from vodafone cheeky b8stards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

obviously sold a second hand phone, there can be no other explanation. get a new one from vodafone cheeky b8stards

unless it was synced with someone elses google account, i found all my google+ pics on my new samsung s3 after syncing

just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

unless it was synced with someone elses google account, i found all my google+ pics on my new samsung s3 after syncing

just a thought
    I suppose that could be a possibility but if the op synced then he would know the people in the pics, if someone else synced then it must be a used phone me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Draft a letter to the data protection commissioner. Walk into shop. Explain letter. Give them 10 minutes to get your a new phone.

Make sure your information isn't still on the phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Had something like that happen me years ago with a phone from 3. But the files were not synced from the cloud they were on the phone and were internal docs and spreadsheets from 3.... They very quickly replaced the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

OP are the photos on the phone or on an SD card. If they are on the SD card where did you get the SD card from

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Thanks all for the suggestions and ideas.
    Just a quick reply to answer some of your queries.
    I was gauranteed in the shop that it was new , never registered to any one else.
    I synced it from my "new " phone to my own laptop that nobody else uses, so there is only one place that they could have come from.
    There is no SD card in it yet.
    These photos do not exist in the "gallery" on my phone , they only appeared after that first syncing.
    As Victor said, maybe it is a case for the Data Protection Commisioner.
    Does anyone think I should try to trace the people in the pictures to let them know that thier private pics aren't so private anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When I sent my phone off for repair I sent it with no SD card. It came back with someone elses photos. I told the shop, and handed it back with the phone when it went in for its second repair, they sent the same card back to me a 2nd time. I couldn't think of a way of finding the people in the photos so I just wiped the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Op did u get a new phone from the shop and an apology? A friend of mine left an iPhone back into the shop to be repaired. They gave him a replacement phone, turns out it was someone elses phone that was also left in to be sent for repair. Their fb account was left logged in and also pictures etc

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Jennifer,
    I still dont have this matter settled with Vodafone yet.
    The lads in the shop are claiming that its Samsung s problem and not thiers.
    They are waiting for Someone from Samsung to get back to them about this.
    They're not very helpful atall and I feel they are trying to fob me off and hoping that I will forget about it. I have rang the shop 3 or 4 times and the person dealing with the matter is never there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a terrible story about your friend. Wouldn't you go mental if they gave out your phone to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

Victor wrote: »
    Draft a letter to the data protection commissioner. Walk into shop. Explain letter. Give them 10 minutes to get your a new phone.

Make sure your information isn't still on the phone. :)

even if you havent sent a letter, say youve emailed them about the privacy breach and just go down to the shop, tell them youre not leaving the shop until you get a proper answer why this has happened and you have a brand new sealed box in your hand. its crazy they havent sorted it out by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah here baring osmosis then somebody else had the phone before the OP simple as, when you buy a new phone that's what you expect to get , but it's also a wake up call to folks handing over phones for repair / replacement to factory default the phones and remove memory cards before they hand them back for replacement / repair...... ffs sure the amount of folks who don't even pin lock their phone because of the "hassle" is unreal :eek:

Advertisement