Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a gamers advice

• 06-12-2012 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭

A young lad is getting a lappy for Christmas and all he's worried about is if it will play Guild Wars 2. He's budget is maxed @ €450

The Min Spec for the game is

Windows® Minimum System Requirements

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
    Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
    2 GB RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    25 GB available HDD space
    Broadband Internet connection
    Keyboard and mouse

I don't game so have no idea as to the maze of graphics available & what's good or bad. I just don't want to put the young lad wrong.....

Will any of these play that game ok?

Asus 15.6" X54HR-SX287V - i3 2310M/4GB/320GB

Asus 15.6" X55U-SX005V - E450/4GB/500GB

LENOVO G580 15.6" Laptop (Can't see what GPU & not a great Processor)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Laptops are not great for games it might be possible to get one that will play it but for that price it would not be as good as a desktop. Is a desktop definitely out of the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'd imagine so, he probably convinced his Mum he needs it for school lol.....

A laptop it's going to be me thinks. I did explain that you would need to go way up the money for a proper gaming laptop but the budget just isn't there unfortunately.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

But think of all the homework he could do with a desktop in his room!

I'm going to leave this for someone who knows more about laptops and guild wars 2. I'd imagine if he gets the best laptop possible for that money he will still have to turn every setting down to the lowest to get it to run at a playable frame rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cheers tuxy, I haven't got a clue myself but if anyone reading this knows of a Laptop that would play it in that price bracket please let me know.

I was curious about this so I read up a little on it.
    I think an AMD A8 APU may be the way to go.

Some people here are using that APU to play guild wars 2 with ok results.
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/49095-apu-amd-a8-is-viable-someone-play-it/

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-g62230sa-156andquot-Laptop-Ruby-Red/312182/301

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-Series-3-NP355V5C-156andquot-Laptop-Silver/312319/301

Both are €100 over budget but maybe someone knows a good deal elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Couldn't find a definitive answer as it seems to be a CPU intensive game, but I'd be leaning towards the A8 over an i3 as well because purely for gaming purposes it will almost always be better, and the bare minimum GPU spec for the game the HD3000 which is the GPU found on sandybridge (i3-2XXXm) intel laptops.

The Radeon HD 7640G on the A8 is good bit better than the HD 3000, and it remains a fair bit faster than the HD4000 GPU found on ivybridge i3-3XXXm laptops as well (Which are probably just out of budget reach anyway)

There is one Packard Bell A8 on saveonlaptops that is under budget, i'd imagine the build quality is average enough but it comes at around 445 including delivery (9.99 GBP).

Advertisement