Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LL asking to renew lease.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

beaner88 wrote: »
    He can't just increase the rent. It has to be in line with local rates.

Why would they be glad to get rid of me? They gets a good tenant that treats a property like the home that it is and gets money in their account on time every month.

They get a begrudger who resents paying market rent.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

djimi wrote: »
    Its obviously not an exact science, and if the open market rate is 750 then noone is going to quibble about 800. Its to stop landlords taking the piss and asking for a rate that is well above what the property is worth in the local market, ie asking for 1000 for a property worth 750. Its also to ensure that a landlord does not look for a stupid increase in rent for an existing tenant.

The law is in place for new tenants also; a landlord cannot legally advertise a vacant property for higher than the open market rate for the property, but in reality there is little need for such a law as no tenant in their right mind is going to pay 1000 for a property when they can get the same property in the area for 750.

I would. That represents a 7% is far above CSO private rental increases or for Daft rental increases in my area. You can refuse to pay the increse and dispute this with the PRTB. You can then remain in the property at the originally agreed rental price whilst waiting for the PRTB to adjudicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would. That represents a 7% is far above CSO private rental increases or for Daft rental increases in my area. You can refuse to pay the increse and dispute this with the PRTB. You can then remain in the property at the originally agreed rental price whilst waiting for the PRTB to adjudicate.

If 750 is the average market rent then there is a good chance that there are some properties paying as high as 800 and others paying 700. Im not sure if you brought it to the PRTB they would give you much sympathy to be honest.

djimi wrote: »
    If 750 is the average market rent then there is a good chance that there are some properties paying as high as 800 and others paying 700. Im not sure if you brought it to the PRTB they would give you much sympathy to be honest.

The rate is 750, that is what I am hypothetically paying. They would have to prove that the market has moved beyond this level. You can track the monthly rises in rental prices through the CSO so any increase would have to be closely alligned to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The rate is 750, that is what I am hypothetically paying. They would have to prove that the market has moved beyond this level. You can track the monthly rises in rental prices through the CSO so any increase would have to be closely alligned to this.

The rate is an average; it doesnt mean the every property is paying 750 and that there can be no leeway.

To be honest I dont know how the PRTB would see it if it went before them, but in terms of rental prices €50 is not a large amount (most people would expect to have that knocked off the advertised price when renting a place first) and I cant see that the PRTB would see it as an unnecessarily high increase. I could, of course, be wrong about that however.

• Advertisement

This makes very interesting reading. I would always argue it from a different angle. The price I rent at from day one was set at the market rate (buyer and seller meet at a happy price). There is no renting below or above market rate and that any further increases have to be in line with percentage increases of local property rentals from the date of original rental.

http://public.prtb.ie/2011%20Disputes/Tribunals%202011/TR24.DR920.2011/Tribunal%20Report.pdf

Advertisement