Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ SSD's and their constant quality issues

Options
  • 06-12-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

So I finally got my RMA from OCZ after about 8 months of disputing. They were insistent the drive was not faulty and just required a firmware upgrade, which did not resolve.

My SSD has been in the PC for about a month now, but I havnt used it. It is being kept recognisible which is a good start, but I'm hesitant to use. It is an Agility Vertex or something.

Online in general, the consensus is their Quality control is muck, and their SSD's in general are muck. I had finally brought myself around to giving it one last bash and installing Windows onto it this weekend..

Then this morning on FAcebook two mates post how both their OCZ SSD's just vanished, and cannot be located/recognised by their PC/bios. This is the exact same problem I had, and they just bought these recently.

I definitly want my OS onto a SSD, but I'm thinking maybe I should dump the OCZ, and maybe grab a Crucial M4, which I already have running my games, and is sublime.

What do we think lads, risk it or biscuit? ( biscuit being removing the OCZ and selling it :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I have no faith in OCZ SSDs, had 3 agility 3'd die on me, the original I bought, the RMA for that and the RMA for the RMA. Would definitely stay away in the future, since then I've had the pleasure of using samsung 830 and crucial m4 without any issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Burgo wrote: »
    I have no faith in OCZ SSDs, had 3 agility 3'd die on me, the original I bought, the RMA for that and the RMA for the RMA. Would definitely stay away in the future, since then I've had the pleasure of using samsung 830 and crucial m4 without any issues whatsoever.

Yeah I'm checking out prices on another Crucial M4 for maybe a xmas pressy to myself :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I seem to be one of the lucky ones.
    My OCZ Vertex 2 is still going strong 11 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dcully wrote: »

*waits for jinx to take effect *

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've used both the M4 and the 830. Of the two, I find the 830 to be slightly snappier feeling in every day use. The 128 and 256GB versions are also slightly cheaper than the M4 now as well (at least on Hardwareversand). Haven't had the slightest problem with either yet, though I've only had the 830 for about a week, and the M4 for about 7-8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Dcully wrote: »

my vertex 3 runs okay, had one or two problems along the way but the firmware updates fixed everything. its been running fine now months since then

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

My agility 3 has been perfect for me.. It's about a year old and had 0 problems..must be one of the lucky ones have a Samsung 830 also and that's been grand but only have it a month or 2

ugh dunno what to do

Risk it with my Operating system or pull it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

how valuable do you find your OS installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Out of 5 ocz ssds in machines I built, 2 failed and had to be rmad. These were all vertex 3s with the latest firmware too...

Avoid!

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    how valuable do you find your OS installation?

I had my OS on the first OCZ SSD (the one I currently have is a RMA)

I'm sure that's a rhetorical question, my PC being offline for more then 2 hours is a ****ing disaster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I have an ocz agility 3 60gb, no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have a vertex 3 240gig drive, But recently it's started showing up as a 480 gig drive, but cant actually read or use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Everytime this topic comes up i just say to people.......

INTEL ............ they are dearer, they dont push the drives to the limit but they are reliable with good speeds. What sealed the deal for me was when i was browsing the forums and someone had an intel ssd that failed..............
    Intel asked him the usual questions etc, then sent him a brand new drive express post on the condition he sent the old one back ASAP as they wanted to find out for sure what the problem was as soon as possible.

Advertisement