Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colleague not pulling their weight

• 06-12-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a team of 3 people, due to a company restructure, they have moved us into a new bigger team. Our hours are 8am -4.45 and that's fine. I have one colleague who is taking the piss quite honestly, she swans into work late nearly every day (usually 15 mins late) and takes 30 mins for breakfast and then another hour for lunch and numerous toilet/coffee breaks during the day. I feel she has zero interest in the job and only here to gain some experience.

I feel so frustrated and annoyed with the situation, she doesn't want to share the tasks that I and another colleague do but just swan around enjoying the job and that isn't fair to the rest of us.

As I have only just joined this team, I don't know the supervisor that well and am unsure what to do, Do I have a word with my old manager or do I just put up with this as I feel if I complain, she will know it is me that said something. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Maybe just speak to her straight out? Maybe first off approach it in a remark dropped here and there...such as
    "I'm just wondering, cos I just started, since you are here longer are you on a different contract to us?" if she answers no, or I don't think so, then say "oh I was just wondering cos you seem to get a lot more breaks than I do"

If that doesn't get her thinking, then perhaps sound your other team members out - if it is not just you that thinks this way, then professionally, politely but assertively tell her that you feel the burden of work is not equally shared and you and the other team members would appreciate more support from her.

You need to be assertive but professional. If that doesn't work, then perhaps wait until your next one-to-one with your manager and raise the subject. Again, be diplomatic, as you say you don't know the relationships this person has formed. But you can still point out 'concerns' or request some additional support from existing team members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My OH is in a similar situation it nearly sounds identical.

TBH i would just sit down and bide your time a bit, these things begin to show themselves and become more apparent. If youve picked up on it chances are others will too. And you can then mention it at a later date when it has duely pissed off others.

Rarely goes unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd talk to your new supervisor about it and make it his/her problem to deal with.

I don't think it's your place to confront her, unless you want to go down the passive-aggressive route mentioned earlier and wonder out loud why her hours seem to be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When you start getting paid manager-money, then you need to start worrying about manager problems, like how other people are performing. And you will have access to management information (eg her contract, disciplinary history, what she does after hours, etc) that will help you make accurate judgements.

Until then, keep your nose down and mind your own job, not other peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Eoin wrote: »
    I'd talk to your new supervisor about it and make it his/her problem to deal with.
    When you start getting paid manager-money, then you need to start worrying about manager problems, like how other people are performing. And you will have access to management information (eg her contract, disciplinary history, what she does after hours, etc) that will help you make accurate judgements.

Agree with both of the above.

I understand it is frustrating (we've all had lazy colleagues) but confronting her or making it your job to set her straight may seriously backfire, and frankly isn't your responsibility.

Just do your 8 - 4:45 without taking on extra stress or responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get your manager to look into it, but only if you are never late, otherwise it may backfire.

As for tasks at hand, check with your team mates what's her position in the team, as she may be a friend of your new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Manager Money? Whats that ?

Double hours and no recognition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Whilst I agree in theory with the 'keep your head down' its not your problem comments, in reality we all know that a colleague who doesn't pull their weight can have a seriously negative effect on others. Morale and motivation suffer, as do workplace relations. And its not always possible to 'only do your own work'.

I would raise it with management, but be diplomatic about it. Allowing yourself to be made a donkey of while someone else can swan around is never a good idea. By the time you do eventually say something you are so exasperated and frustrated by it, it can come across as petty and personal, and often that you just don't like this person. Which if they are being a lazy bint and leaving you to be the donkey is very likely. But by then, if you raise it, and it is obvious that the relationship is strained the lazy bint gets to put the blame back on you by saying, 'well they never liked me, this is personal'.

Management is a two way street - sometimes you have to manage up. Waiting for your manager to do their job often results in you getting the ****ty end of the stick.

As already said, I would be professional but assertive, raise your concerns in a factual and fair manner. Choose the right time to broach the subject with your manager and then let them deal with it - or not. If they don't deal with it then you will need to engage in some discreet management of your colleague - which is no easy thing to do. But its either that or get so fed up that you leave - and probably on bad terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

listermint wrote: »
    Manager Money? Whats that ?

Double hours and no recognition :D

Try being a team leader

No power and all of the responsibility :(

And regular kickings from management :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not so much saying "keep your head down" as "don't try to out-do the manager at their job".

If someone is being performance managed properly, then their colleagues won't even know this is happening - 'cos it's bad management to visibly treat them differently.

If you try to stick your oar in, you may even end up undermining what your manager is trying to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement