Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handiest way to Light up an Attic?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Hi there, Just wondering, are there usually power cables in the attic hidden under insulation ? I want to put a light up there and had a quick look about. I found some tv cabling but no power lines. Im curious would it be normal to find a power line in the attic that I could feed some lights off? Or is it simply a case of locating roughly where a light socket in a room below is and feeding off that and of course using a seperate switch?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well shouldn't there be cables going from one light to another? You could connect up to one of those, obviously turn the power off first:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hmmm it is not as easy as that if you are not certain what you're doing. Whatever you plumb in there will be live/connected 24/7 365 days per year, even if it's not "on" the feed going through it could be. If it is for occasional use hand a bulb plugged into an extension lead that can be plugged in downstairs and out when not in use. That will do for inspection purposes, btw lidl/aldi often have specials on car maintenance lights they would be ideal for this purpose, I think??
    If you want something that will be used more often then use a qualified electrician, better for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Hi there, Just wondering, are there usually power cables in the attic hidden under insulation ? I want to put a light up there and had a quick look about. I found some tv cabling but no power lines. Im curious would it be normal to find a power line in the attic that I could feed some lights off? Or is it simply a case of locating roughly where a light socket in a room below is and feeding off that and of course using a seperate switch?:cool:

The attic is likely to be full of power cables but don’t interfere with them unless you know what you’re doing.

You need to pick up a ‘live’ and the best place to get that is from a fuse or MCB back at the distribution board. Alternatively, you can pick it up at one of the existing light switches providing that you can get an extra cable down to the switch. This cable will run to the new switch that is going to control the attic light. From the other side of the new switch, run a cable (a switch-wire) to the attic light. You then have to take a neutral from the attic light and either connect it along with the neutral at an existing light or bring it back to the neutral bar of the distribution board. As you can see, it is not as simple as you may think.

Get an electrician or as Odelay suggested, use an extension lead that you can plug in downstairs.

Advertisement