Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present - Web Design Software Suggestions?

• 06-12-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

Not sure at all if this is the correct forum (sincere apologies if it's not and please let me know which would be more appropriate :rolleyes:) but I need a bit of advice around web design software to be purchased for home use.

My brother is currently taking an online course in flash which will last until the end of the year and then next year a classroom-based course in PHP. He is looking into web design as a career and I'd like to buy him something for Christmas which would help with that (he hasn't got a job at the moment).

I was thinking of buying him for example a year-long license to Dreamweaver or something like that but I don't know:
    a. Will he get access to the required programs as part of his course
    b. What would be the best package to get for him
    c. Will it be way out of my price range

I would also consider getting him a subscription to a web design magazine or something like that (if such a thing exists)?

Does anyone have any recommendations of software packages or anything that would be useful to some-one in this field of study and which might not necessarily come included with a php course?

My price range is anything up to say 60 euro but I could go over if necessary.

I would really appreciate any advice any-one can give me (even if it's 'All this software is too expensive, don't bother' :D)

Thanks,
    Ciara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How about a graphics tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scarlettfever

Thanks Smash that's actually a great idea.

I really don't know anything about this kind of hardware though and would be wary of making the purchase without him - I guess I could just take him shopping and let him pick it out himself though.

From a quick look online though they all seem a bit out of my price range - wacom bamboo is like 100 dollars :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

tricky D wrote: »

+1 for Lynda.com

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've had a look and the 3-month sub for $75 looks ideal, cheers! :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

Sorry to be bringing this post back up again but in fact my brother has already hit my parents up for a graphics tablet.

He has requested that I get him books on Flash programming, animantion or game development.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If hes into game design then this book is great

Some ideas for web design books here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

If he is doing the FAS course then they will probably buy the books - MYSQL and PHP and hand out enough course notes to cover his needs.

Advertisement