Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mothercare

• 06-12-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Wanted to buy my sister in law a mother care voucher because shes due a baby on the 21st. They charge €10 for postage? It would be a piece of paper in an envelope? It's really after winding me up! I bought electronics from Hong Kong and was charged €7 and bought stuff on amazon yesterday and because myorder was over £25 delivery was free! There a joke, going to go elsewhere now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Its not a rip-off.

Its just that they use one method of delivery and it doesn't matter whether its a double buggy or an envelope.

If you order a €50 gift card delivery will be free.

Possibly email them and suggest that they mark up gift cards as free delivery - very easy to do and its probably that they just didn't thnk of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

I did and they said all vouchers are delivered by courier. Still a rip off imo

sorry, but a courier will charge the same price wheteher its an envelope or a large box. Its simply the voucher option does not suit their web order system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭uli84

they are a ripoff, the other day was looking at a playmat-it was 15£ on the mothercare.co.uk and 40€ on mothercare.ie ....

uli84 wrote: »
    they are a ripoff, the other day was looking at a playmat-it was 15£ on the mothercare.co.uk and 40€ on mothercare.ie ....

can't see any at £15 on the uk site.

Mostly the pricing seems to be £30 = €40, £45 = €60.

Considering extra 3% vat and average exchange rate of 1.26 - its about 2% - 3% difference.

There are a couple of offers on the UK site that are not on the irish site and likewais some offers on the irish site that are not on the UK site.

But then again - overall / average pricing never matters for naysayers - they will always find that one single product and judge a whole store of 5000+ products on that alone. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

sandin wrote: »
    Its not a rip-off.

Its just that they use one method of delivery and it doesn't matter whether its a double buggy or an envelope.

If you order a €50 gift card delivery will be free.

Possibly email them and suggest that they mark up gift cards as free delivery - very easy to do and its probably that they just didn't thnk of it.[/QUOTE]

For a company in business for a good while, if what You say is true, then it's a very poor reflection on their business ethic.

that playmat is gone now, i spotted it on hukd.co.uk, think it was this one

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tiny-love-total-playground-kick-play-activity-gym-16-00-delivered-mothercare-1369272

less extreme but still

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Sanctuary-Cot-Bed---White/476084,default,pd.html#avtc=df02bcf7055612cbe6ebde1fa09f0061

169 in Ireland (i.e. no discount)

the exchange rate/pricing is pretty ok between 2 sites, it's just the uk offers are very rarely on on the irish website, so quite often same item is more than double the price as a result;)

[/QUOTE]

For a company in business for a good while, if what You say is true, then it's a very poor reflection on their business ethic.[/QUOTE]

actuakky if you think of it, the gift card is valuable and is as good as cash in a mothercare store, so their policy of using signed for and trackable courier delivery is not so mad as otherwise the card could easily be "lost" in the post.

Then the op would be on saying that a comapny like mothercare should be more careful and only send gift cards out by recorded delivery.

At the end of the day, its best to try and meet the 50.00 free delivery - even by buying 2 x gift cards and using the other one yourself or for another occasion.

169 euro vs 90£ now, argh, this really puts me off buying now

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Sanctuary-Cot-Bed---White/476084,default,pd.html#q=sanctuary

http://www.mothercare.ie/mothercare-sanctuary-cot-bed-white.html

despite the above being my first choice Im going to go with the Ikea one now - just my nature-will feel better as silly as it is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If the recipient can see the value of the present that you are giving why not give good old fashioned cash????

Some people may say that giving cash is crass or shows no imagination or knowledge of the recipients wants or needs but in the modern age it is very hard to know everyones tastes wants or desires.

With the risk of companies going broke and the countless stories about vouchers becoming worthless at some time or other, cash is a far better option than vouchers.

I think vouchers were used at one time by companies to legally give tax free ex gratia payments to favoured employees or agents and also for adults to limit the puchasing options of , usually minor, recipients. eg book vouchers to stop them buying sweets or other "non-sensible" items.

In an adult to adult scenario there should be little or no need for such limiting and little or no need for vouchers, incurring a trading risk and extra hassle for the sole benefit of now proven risky companies in risky and uncertain times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The recent spate of refused vouchers in a promininent music business only serves to emphasise my nervousness in the whole voucher idea.

Many companies, not to mention some sovereign nation states, are now in such a perilous condition that they should not be trusted to honour any commitment made for cash.

Cash is king. Give cash , receive cash and to hell with vouchers which are only frontloading financially doubtful business concerns for no good valid reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Site Technician

Folks, please keep things civil here. I will be handing down bans along with Gordon.

Advertisement