Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beeping smoke detectors....

• 06-12-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ok,

Last week I noticed that one of our mains powered smoke detectors on the upstairs landing was starting to beep which is usually means the backup battery is on its way out so yesterday I picked up one of those rectangular 9v ones and fitted it yesterday evening.

Last night however, I again start hearing the beeps again, except more frequently this time! At 4am I'd had enough and got out of bed, unscrewed the the detector from the ceiling, disconnected the mains and removed the battery. It continued to beep for a short while later I'm assuming due to charge stored in a capacitor... but it does die.... At last I momentarily think until I hear beep coming from the converted attic where the detector there is doing the same thing!!

I'm hoping it's just coincidence....

The detector on the upstairs landing that I put the new battery into is probably 15 years old at this stage so I'm guessing it has given up the ghost and will need to be replaced?

The one in the attic is only 5 years old and I reckon probably only needs it's battery changed, the recent cold weather possibly helped kill the last bit of life in the battery....

Anyone got any other possible reasons/explanations?

Both are Eterna smoke detectors though different models...

~LTD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

As an update, attic one seems fine post battery change but it looks like the other one is indeed dead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

As an update, attic one seems fine post battery change but it looks like the other one is indeed dead...
    Most smoke alarm have a life span of max 10 years.When you look at the alarm there is usually a change unit by date on them

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Most smoke alarm have a life span of max 10 years.When you look at the alarm there is usually a change unit by date on them

Yup it actually said change every 5 years!

Advertisement