Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupied apartment who pays television licence?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi all, quick question, live in an apt with someone renting from me, do we split the television licence? Or is the onus one to pay it? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ahnow wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question, live in an apt with someone renting from me, do we split the television licence? Or is the onus one to pay it? Thanks!

Who owns the TV ? you? then yes you pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

ahnow wrote: »

if it were me in your position, I personally would pay the licence, however if you cant/dont want to, then maybe have a chat and come to an agreement?

If you're availing of the rent a room scheme and as such not paying tax on the income, then the decent thing to do would be to pay it yourself.

at the end of the day I believe it would be you that would receive the fine if you didnt have a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I disagree. Who pays for UPC or SKY? I bet you share it, and you all use the TV. I rent with friends and own the TV, but we all split the TV License fee as we all benefit from having a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

listermint wrote: »
    Who owns the TV ? you? then yes you pay it.
    I think the onus is on the occupants ..not the owner of the TV.

If you rent an apartment and the landlord already had it furnished with a TV, you are responsible , not them. If you want to avoid paying the fee you would have to request your landlord to remove the TV, or , just refuse to pay the license which ofcourse is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ahnow

Thanks all for the replies! Seems like it's a judgement call really so I' ll pay it myself...ideally though I'd like to get rid of it, I watch everything on my laptop!! But to keep the peace...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would imagine that in most cases the owner would pay it and then build half the cost into the rental price.

Advertisement