Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptops for Arch Techs?

• 06-12-2012 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

This is a question to all Architects / Technologists - im hoping to buy a new laptop in the new year and im looking for advice regarding what type to buy.

Im a technologist and i use AutoCAD 2013, Google SketchUp 7, 3DS Studio Max 2010, Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and hopefully will learn Revit Architecture 2013 in the new year.

Can anybody recommend laptops, memory size etc for the above?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

We use the Sony VAIO with upgraded chip, graphics card, double up on the RAM and with the 19 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dabzarch

We use the Sony VAIO with upgraded chip, graphics card, double up on the RAM and with the 19 inch screen.

+1 on the above.

I have also used one of the high end mobile workstations along side my current one and i have to say i found no difference in performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

I wouldn't be so much much concerned with the type / brand as with what comes "in the box". I would recommend you look at the hardware requirements for each piece of software you intend using, pick the most onerous one as your baseline and then improve on those specs as best you can afford.
    Also, ask yourself do you really need a laptop to do your work on? Laptops can't really be upgraded by much as there is the space restriction inside. A desktop PC can be easily upgraded and rebuilt if required at relatively low cost. If you want the laptop to bring to client meetings you could use the PC for doing the work and have a fairly low cost laptop to show the client presentation material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The days of needing a high spec PC or laptop for Cad and 3D packages is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Mellor wrote: »
    The days of needing a high spec PC or laptop for Cad and 3D packages is gone.

Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Because the processing power of entry level computers today is far greater than high spec laptops a few years ago. Running the OS, background processes, and the demands of Cad, Photoshop etc have increased over time. But no where near the rate of increase in available power.
    I bought a reasonable high spec Dell in 2005. A cheap entry level machine today would wipe the floor with it.

There are still reasons to get an above average machine, but running architectural programs isn't one.
    For example, i'd absolutely get a solid state drive (SSD), even its its small with a large disk drive as back up. Simple better technology not because I need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If you plan to run Revit 2013 i would suggest you simply get the best processor & as much RAM as your budget allows. We're running it atm with 16GB of RAM & it labours on medium sized models, the graphics cards are fine but the drain on RAM is alot more than we were originally led to believe, each upgrade from Autodesk seems to increase the process power required also.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DanGalway

Thanks guys!

Was looking at the Sony VAIO:

Design: Black

Configured:
    Intel®Core(TM)i5-3210M, 2.5GHz
    Windows 8
    320 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
    12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3L-SDRAM
    DVD disc drive
    39.5cm LED, 1920x1080+webcam
    Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    No Wireless WAN
    No Long-Life Battery
    Engraving FREE

Software:
    Office 2010 Home & Student
    No protection
    No Adobe Creation
    No Adobe® Lightroom 4
    Imagination Studio Suite 4

Also Included:
    1 AC Adapter
    Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11abgn)
    HDMI(TM) output
    Security features
    Backlight keyboard

Total Price 1,188.00 € inc. VAT

Please feel free to comment on the above!

I know nothing about laptop memory /capacity etc; basically i would be using AutoCAD 2012 or 2013 and Revit Architecture 2013 mostly!

I was also recommended the MacBook but feel it may be more expensive??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've never been a fan of Vaio, too glitchey and too much paying for the brand.
    As mentioned above, SSD......
    Do this straight away, get a fresh install of W7 and you will be flying.
    Photoshop 7 is old now, so you won't have a problem running it, on any modern laptop, likewise with any 2d CAD work...

Advertisement