Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Release of the Year?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

This category in the year end polls is one that I'm woefully ignorant on, and I'm thinking along the lines that I might not be the only one. Can anyone post a list of Irish releases that may deserve the accolade?

Perhaps a sticky thread in the new year to promote and raise awareness of Irish releases?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

viadah wrote: »
    This category in the year end polls is one that I'm woefully ignorant on, and I'm thinking along the lines that I might not be the only one.

Yeah this seems to be the case. I just went onto the metalireland reviews page and typed in 2012, but even that website had only reviewed 5/6 releases.

If you can't think of anything perhaps just don't nominate one and have a listen to the ones that are nominated I guess.
    viadah wrote: »
    Perhaps a sticky thread in the new year to promote and raise awareness of Irish releases?

There used to be an "Irish bands" one, but it was unstickied. I liked the thread, I thought it was better than the R&M gigs one we have now. If it is re-stickied it should be "Bands and releases" and there should be discussion allowed, dunno if there was or not last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I know what you mean. I think it would be good to have a thread about Irish bands and releases. There are lots of very good Irish bands out there, and it's always good to help spread the word.

I don't think we necessarily need to have a stickied thread though. We can post in the previous thread (or make a new one). If people are interested and keeping it busy it'll stay on the first page or two. At the minute there are a lot of stickied threads, and I don't fancy having half of the front page taken up with more.

That said, feel free to keep a thread going, and maybe after New Year when the voting thread is gone we can squeeze it in as a sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Well for now we need someone to keep it active with news on Irish releases, or at least in this case a selection of what's on offer relevant to the thread title. I guess there's no reason to have the thread stickied if no one is gonna post on it. If no one is interested, it's of no value really.

Yeah sounds like a plan, just see how it goes, no need for loads of sickies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Album wise i would have to go for Kopek - White Collar Lies
    Single - Sal Vitro - Its Not Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I bought the Eternal Helcaraxe album on the strength of that poll. It's coming via Amazon from the USA!

Maybe we should post our own reviews of Irish music on this thread?

I'd read it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I think my favourite Irish release this year is from a Northern Irish band -

Million $ Reload - A Sinner's Saint

• Advertisement

Got the Eternal Helcaraxe album and have been living with it for a few days now. First impressions are very positive. The music though heavy is also quite melodic (like alot of Scandinavian black metal) and there is an anthem feel to alot of the songs.
    The singer reminds me a bit of Mille Petroza from Kreator at times, other influences abound too but Iron Maiden is one I didn't expect to find!
    Definitely as good as alot of what's out there from other countries by way of thrash/black metal, "Against all Odds" is worth a punt.

Also check out On Pain of Death's album on Facebook. Excellent death/doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Paranoid Visions album Escape From The Austerity Complex

Actually after living with it for a week let me say "Against All Odds" is a fine album. Great variety in the songs, I have had it in my stereo all week and look forward to getting in my car to listen to it.
    Excellent stuff.

Yeah against all odds is the only one I have and it's killer. One of Ireland's better bands for sure.

Advertisement