Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion suggestions needed

Options
  • 06-12-2012 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I have a traditional imersion system - a basic sink and bath switch located inside the hotpress - but I am always turning it on and forgetting about it sometimes until the next day - any suggestions what change I can make electrically so I dont forget about it being left turned on?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TOMP wrote: »
    I have a traditional imersion system - a basic sink and bath switch located inside the hotpress - but I am always turning it on and forgetting about it sometimes until the next day - any suggestions what change I can make electrically so I dont forget about it being left turned on?

1) Install the switch outside of the hotpress with a neon indication lamp.
    2) Install a digital timer (you may need a contractor for this) and use the "boost" and timer features.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Tow

3) Make sure it is well insulated and just leave it on.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tow wrote: »
    3) Make sure it is well insulated and just leave it on.

Only do this if you intend on wasting vast amounts of money. A standard 3kW immersion in a "well insulated tank" will cost a fortune to run if it is on 24/7.

I am told that there are exceptionaly well insulated hot water cylinders only loose 1 DegC per 24hrs. However tanks such as these cost about the same as the national debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

add a boost timer

M cebee wrote: »
    add a boost timer

Yeah, that is what I suggested above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Thanks for replies. I have looked at some different digital timers on ebay. One question, if you have a boost timer installed, and you press the switch to leave it on, say, for one hour, will it heat the water at what used to be known as sink or bath level or does it depend on the way its wired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

TOMP wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I have looked at some different digital timers on ebay. One question, if you have a boost timer installed, and you press the switch to leave it on, say, for one hour, will it heat the water at what used to be known as sink or bath level or does it depend on the way its wired?
    you use the existing imm switch to change over

you use the existing imm switch to change over

+1

The sink/bath switch will be downstream of the timeclock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Only do this if you intend on wasting vast amounts of money. A standard 3kW immersion in a "well insulated tank" will cost a fortune to run if it is on 24/7.

I am told that there are exceptionaly well insulated hot water cylinders only loose 1 DegC per 24hrs. However tanks such as these cost about the same as the national debt.

Yea a giant vacuum flask they would want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

One of these as previous posters have said makes it impossible to forget to turn off your immersion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

add a boost timer

Never heard of a boost timer,I am assuming its like a button you press that turns the immersion on for a set period then knocks it off automattically? Like one of those auto light devices in some apartment blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Kat1170 wrote: »
    One of these as previous posters have said makes it impossible to forget to turn off your immersion ;)

Ohh that answers my question. I actually installed a clock timer, which most of the time i cant be arsed to set properly and then i say ahh sure ill knock it off after........ Yes after 2 days lol :p
    Thats a great gadget ill be getting one:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ohh that answers my question. I actually installed a clock timer, which most of the time i cant be arsed to set properly and then i say ahh sure ill knock it off after........ Yes after 2 days lol :p
    Thats a great gadget ill be getting one:cool:

They are great. I threw together a 1 to 7 hour one for the heating here. Find it as handy as any timeclock.

Advertisement