Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Wild Card

• 06-12-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

So we have a January Wildcard which must be used between Gameweek 21 (starts 1 Jan 11:30) and Gameweek 24 (ends 2 Feb 11:30). This is almost always a crucial period as matches are postponed/abandoned over the festive period. Hopefully there won't be as much mayhem this year, although it can be quite fun... At the very least you need to ensure you have 15 fit players going into the next few weeks. I've been debating a number of moves over the last few weeks such as:

RVP -> Rooney
    Tevez -> Aguero
    Fletcher -> Berbs/Defoe
    Rafael -> Rangel
    Santi Cazorla -> Silva

But rather than try and make these changes now, I think I'll be aiming at ensuring I have enough players to get through silly season, and will be using my Wildcard immediately on Jan 1st to fix up my team for the NY. I think a large majority of people will use their wildcard immediately, and coupled with the normal transfers I can see this being the best time to use it financially. Prices will rocket based on how teams perform in GW 20. All of the big clubs are playing against teams that could easily concede a lot.

2iu3leo.jpg

This is only an additional advantage though, you shouldn't use the WC purely to take advantage of price rises. More importantly than this, we should be trying to plan ahead and prepare a new team which should do well until at least the end of Feb. For most of us that have already used our WC this will be the last opportunity to make changes. We should be looking at long term adjustments, rather than knee jerks :)

No team really have an obvious 'easy run' of fixtures in January. United have two juicy fixtures against Southampton and Wigan, both notorious for conceding big against teams. However these are sandwiched either side of a home tie against Liverpool and away against Spurs. They face Everton in Feb but then have a very good run until they face City at Home in April.

Arsenal have a horrible run, with City, Spurs and Liverpool following their opening 2013 fixture against Southampton. Cazorla will almost certainly be on the chopping block for most managers, yet another reason why using the WC early could be vital.

Everton actually have a good run, but I'm guessing Fellaini won't be leaving anyone's team unless he breaks a leg (I've just transferred him in so this is HIGHLY possible!) Can't discount Fulham either for those looking to get Berbs in

Injuries and double gameweeks will obviously be key, but I plan on doing a pretty big overhaul of my team on January 1st.

January

jioz6o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

just to confirm (if i've interpreted correctly) that if used at the earliest opportunity, changes made will come into effect for GW22. sorry if stating the obvious, but the wording of these things can catch you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeah pretty sure you've gotten it right MM. Good news for owners of Cazorla, he can face Southampton before getting the chop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Good summary, but I'm looking at it differently. I'm trying to get my team set up now to run until the end of January, so I can use my WC to get in any essential new players e.g. Falcao. Last year I lost out by being slow to get Jelavic, Siggy and Cisse. I'll be ready for it this time (assuming I've had a look at them by the end of Jan)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Between GW23 and 24 could also be a good time to play your wildcard its very near to the end of the transfer window plus with there being an fa cup weekend sandwiched in between you could also expect significant transfers(price rises). Theres going to be a lot of rotation over the christmas period so those playing their wildcard at the start of Jan may make some rash decisions based on this rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Way too early to be worrying about this IMO. We're only entering GW 16. There are 5 GWs until GW 21 when the wildcard opens.

A lot can happen in those 5 gameweeks. Injuries, suspensions, player/manger bust ups, loss or gain of form etc.

I'll also be holding my wildcard until late in the window like I did last year so it's 7 or 8 gameweeks until I'll be looking at this.

That worked well last season because I could work in new players like Cisse, Jelavic, Siggy and Pienaar who were high performers until the season end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fair play Rory, that is a very detailed thought out post. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Again I'll point out that I'm a newbie to this whole thing and I'm phrasing this as a question, wouldn't it be more sensible to wait until closer to the end of the window to use that wildcard, won't some players suddenly become more valuable when they join new teams while others who had a decent enough value find themselves playing much less. I had planned to have 15 players who played regularly in my team at the beginning of the month and use my weekly transfers to make small adjustments, then at the last week use the wildcard to fix any problems and maybe anticipate last minute transfers.

Is it likely that many of the people who follow this forum will have similar enough teams at the end of January?

There's no right or wrong time to use it tbh, I'm just giving one side of the argument to using it early. I think financially this is the best time to use it, there are so many casual players in the game that will WC as soon as they have the chance. As I said above though this is just an additional advantage.

If I already have the top performing players coming in to January then I won't WC, would be silly to waste it. But I will definitely be taking a good luck at my team as I can see definite advantages to using it early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Dubstar07

Food for thought, definetly. I've played my WC already, as was the diaster of the 1st two GWs I had...... so I'll be keeping an eye on it or rather, your thoughts Rory....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

West Ham have a nice run of games after GW21 which will tempt many.

Nolan and maybe Reid are ones i will look st as the FB seem to be rotated/injury prone
    059f82ac8731b1b499687e078ca876eb.png?1355899672

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Keep in mind the double gameweek too for the WC

When is that likely to be played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

roryc wrote: »
    When is that likely to be played?

GW 23. It has been added on the FF site.

Jussi in goal and hold on to Cazorla.

Hopefully there'll be more games rescheduled for January, we do love a DGW! Any idea when Chelsea v Southampton will be played?

Jussi in goal and hold on to Cazorla.

Hopefully there'll be more games rescheduled for January, we do love a DGW! Any idea when Chelsea v Southampton will be played?
    Dont think it will be Jan with Chelsea having to play the two carling cup semi finals in Jan.Only possibility if chelsea and southampton both get knocked out in fa cup 3rd round possibly the weekend of fa cup 4th round think its the 26th jan.

Dont think it will be Jan with Chelsea having to play the two carling cup semi finals in Jan.Only possibility if chelsea and southampton both get knocked out in fa cup 3rd round possibly the weekend of fa cup 4th round think its the 26th jan.

chelsea play southampton in fa cup 3rd round so guess they both wont get knocked out that weekend

It looks like the move to make regarding Arsenal is to sell Carzola and get Waloctt.

Prices just now are 9.6 Crzola and 8.7 Walcott,alot of WC money to be saved.
    I moved early on this to catch the rises after last nights demolition job on Newcastle.

I've brought Walcott in for Bale, think they could really do some damage together against Southampton. Depending on how they play I might look at holding on to them for their DGW in week 23.

Will probably be looking at using the wildcard early I think, need to get in Mata, Fellaini, Ba etc and fix up my defense. Pretty sure a LOT of managers are going to use the wildcard early so price changes could be crazy. Not sure I can risk saving it for later in the month, but unless I'm making 4 or 5 urgent changes then I'll save it.

What do people think of this Wildcard team, can just about afford it. Have good cover for the WH/Arsenal DGW too.

op0ec7.png

^^ Similar to my wildcard plans:

Jaask / Begovic
    Gibbs Cameron Riether O'Brien Clark
    Michu Walcott Bale Fellaini Mata
    RVP Ba Ruiz

Not sold on Riether (have him at present), O'Brien or Ruiz but happy enough with the rest.

Ahh I've forgotten Bale haven't I. Well he'd be in there in place of Silva. Would love to get Luiz in also, but he's very steep at 6.6m.

Along with Enrique I would be playing 3-5-2, with essentially a 7 man midfield!

20fb5ts.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Hi Rory

Kone is going to African Nations Cup as far as I know

I only know this as I have had him for a while now, good player but a pity the Wigan team behind him are so inconsistent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Rory, Enrique is not as OOP as people think. Also we (Liverpool) have nightmare fixtures to come in January/February. He's pretty expensive, if i were you i'd consider Gibbs instead (who also has a double gameweek soon).

probably asked before but can you profit on players while playing your wildcard ie. get in a player (that you don't intend to keep) who rises 0.2 then take him out for a 0.1 profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

manual_man wrote: »
    probably asked before but can you profit on players while playing your wildcard ie. get in a player (that you don't intend to keep) who rises 0.2 then take him out for a 0.1 profit?

Yes. It never works for me but it can be done.

Yes. It never works for me but it can be done.

just to reiterate i mean take him out while your wildcard is STILL in play and make profit on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

manual_man wrote: »
    just to reiterate i mean take him out while your wildcard is STILL in play and make profit on him

Yes. I meant that I can never pick the right players. A lot of other people pick the correct players and can make a nice profit off of it. It's a skill in it's own.

Sterling looks poor today,may have to take the money and dump in the WC.

Possibly looking at Pilkington to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wonder how many wildcard teams will be reworked to include Suarez now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Think my front 3 after the wildcard will be Rvp Suarez & Ruiz

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I wonder how many wildcard teams will be reworked to include Suarez now.

Would love to but don't think I could fit him in.

Gerrard somehow has gone underneath my radar, some great returns over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Dónal wrote: »
    Would love to but don't think I could fit him in.

Gerrard somehow has gone underneath my radar, some great returns over the last few weeks.
    And with Lucas back he will more than likely play higher up the pitch, just behind Suarez.

So it appears the strongest frontline looks something like this. The question is, who front these 8 players do you drop? You can't play 5 in MF and 3 up front...

Suarez actually has the lowest points per game total!

10i8d3t.png

I can use my WC to get this team which gives me an option of

Aguero or Suarez

Bale or Silva

Just a note on Liverpool they actually rate bottom of the table for the next 6GW'S..
    Fixture Rater
    It looks pretty strong to me........

1d700d47062fc9067117213e632b67a6.png?1356896370

Will probably keep Ba but will be keeping an eye on the Chelsea transfer talk.

I've a feel that post wildcard that most teams will be looking similar, except in the defence - this will be where team value will matter the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

dahat wrote: »
    I can use my WC to get this team which gives me an option of

Aguero or Suarez

Bale or Silva

Just a note on Liverpool they actually rate bottom of the table for the next 6GW'S..
    Fixture Rater
    It looks pretty strong to me........

1d700d47062fc9067117213e632b67a6.png?1356896370

It reckons that Man City have an easy home match against Stoke. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I think my plan will be 3 Arsenal players and 2 West Ham players for the DGW. Maybe Walcott, Caz and Gibbs/Sagna. And Nolan and Demel. Then i'll use my wildcard in the final week of January to transfer them all out. Loads of Arsenal and West Ham players will be brought in so there's money to be made for the wildcard the following week.

Whats the deal with Swansea's GK situation? Is Vorm or Tremmel first choice?

I assumed once Vorm was back fit that would be it but Tremmel started again yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't know whether to use the wildcard in the first week or wait and see what transfers happen during the window.

I've a feeling this could be a big spending window with a lot of defenders coming into teams.

No idea. Vorm started the previous 2 against Reading and United. Didn't really do much wrong to lose his place after walking straight back into it after injury. Could have been just a precaution if he had a tight hamstring or groin. Whatever his injury was.

Cheers, will see what happens next week I guess. Want to cash in on Jaask with my WC to save some cash. As for timing, I'm still planning on using it on Jan 1st. Take advantage of price rises and give my team a much needed overhaul. At the very minimum, I need these ASAP:

Torres, Enrique, Clark, Fletcher OUT

Bale, Ba, Mata, Fellaini IN

Too many urgent transfers required, with Enrique's injury I think its pushed me over the edge. I just hope there aren't too many rises between tomorrow and Tuesday! At the very least I expect Mata to increase 0.1 tomorrow night. If he's the only one that rises I could afford this team on Tuesday morning:

nxntc9.png

Really shows how those extra few million saved so far comes in handy (current team value £110m). Still not sure about Luiz or Zabaleta, but that team is so strong in attack I'm getting a bit of a semi...

• Advertisement

Have you any cash left to upgrade Harte? and do you normally play a 3-5-2 formation?

My team is looking like this, pretty happy

Have you any cash left to upgrade Harte? and do you normally play 3-5-2 formation

0.1 to spare but I'm more than happy with him, he'll be my third sub. Quick tip, his price will ROCKET in the transfer window, I would guess 0.2, if not the full 0.3m. I usually play either 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Rarely play 4 defenders unless I'm forced into it.

Ruiz will likely be the bench warmer starting out, but based on his potential I can definitely see him getting a run out, possibly right off the bat with his home tie against Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭AdpRo

So it appears the strongest frontline looks something like this. The question is, who front these 8 players do you drop? You can't play 5 in MF and 3 up front...

Suarez actually has the lowest points per game total!

10i8d3t.png

I have all bar Fellaini, my wildcard is going to be used on my defenders only!!

0.1 to spare but I'm more than happy with him, he'll be my third sub. Quick tip, his price will ROCKET in the transfer window, I would guess 0.2, if not the full 0.3m. I usually play either 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Rarely play 4 defenders unless I'm forced into it.

Ruiz will likely be the bench warmer starting out, but based on his potential I can definitely see him getting a run out, possibly right off the bat with his home tie against Wigan.

Well the team is looking good. Playing 3 in defence gives you a good choice of City, Arsenal, Stoke and Chelsea players and then Harte if needed. :p

You'll obviously need to listen to the transfer news. Ba could be on his way to Chelsea and would be second choice there. Benitez might bring in another defensive midfielder as well which would mean Luiz rotation. Walcott still hasn't signed that contract iirc. Just things to consider before making it final.

I'm thinking of trying out a 3-5-2 formation for the second half of the season. 5 heavy hitting midfielders. This is not a final team but something similar to what i'd be thinking of. This is using every penny but i'd downgrade one of the 3 mid priced defenders to a 4.0 one to free up a bit of cash if needed.

a5auzl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

This is my squad now. Happy with that. I don't think I'll be using the Wildcard.

84603279.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well the team is looking good. Playing 3 in defence gives you a good choice of City, Arsenal, Stoke and Chelsea players and then Harte if needed. :p

You'll obviously need to listen to the transfer news. Ba could be on his way to Chelsea and would be second choice there. Benitez might bring in another defensive midfielder as well which would mean Luiz rotation. Walcott still hasn't signed that contract iirc. Just things to consider before making it final.

Yeah I'll be keeping an eye on the transfer news, something tells me Luiz won't end up in my final squad anyway. Not sold on Ruiz either.

As for Ba, he won't be going to Chelsea to be a substitute, and I cant see Walcott going anywhere just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

I'm thinking of trying out a 3-5-2 formation for the second half of the season. 5 heavy hitting midfielders. This is not a final team but something similar to what i'd be thinking of. This is using every penny but i'd downgrade one of the 3 mid priced defenders to a 4.0 one to free up a bit of cash if needed.

a5auzl.jpg

was thinking the exact same re 3-5-2. would change the defence a bit and maybe ruiz to someone new that comes in january like pog last year. also can't decide between suarez and ba.. pools have a hard run in soon

how much do you have to spend in total by the way? i'v only 104.7

darego wrote: »
    was thinking the exact same re 3-5-2. would change the defence a bit and maybe ruiz to someone new that comes in january like pog last year. also can't decide between suarez and ba.. pools have a hard run in soon

how much do you have to spend in total by the way? i'v only 104.7

108.9 total value. 105.8 spending value. The team i posted above is only 4 transfers. Only players i don't currently have are Fellaini, Rafael, Bunn and my 3rd cheap striker. Ruiz definitely isn't my set choice. I'd go Pog if he was nailed on as i don't want a player that will have me wondering if i should play them on any given week. I want a 2 point wonder that i will never play. And if he comes in one week for whatever reason i'll just hope it's a lucky week where he decided to score or assist.

Suarez is fundamental to anything Liverpool do. Ba is a good option but i'd hold tight and see how the transfer window plays out. Don't think Chelsea will be good for him FF wise.

I want to play my wildcard early to take advantage of the price rises but I'm going to hold out until after the dgw. I'm in a dilemma in that I want to use my next transfers to buy Arsenal and West Ham players but don't want to miss price rises ( which I'm sure there will be lots of over the next week) on players that I want for my final post WC squad.

But it gives me the advantage of seeing what players go where e.g. I want my strikeforce to include Ba but if he goes to Chelsea I won't risk it. I also want a couple of games to see how Sturridge gets on at Liverpool and how him being brought in will affect Suarez. Also talk of a David Villa move to Arsenal which would be interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement