If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for two speakers (~€200) to play music

Options
  • 06-12-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

RicherSounds! Looking for christmas presents and my brother is a big music fan but plays music off his laptop speakers. He's a musician himself so usually plays Flacs (even though has crappy laptop speakers) but can distinguish between crap and good quite well.

So basically I need two nice looking bookshelf speakers (or even floorstanders if they're not too obtrusive) that play a warm deep sound for Jazz and the like. Budget's around 150 to 200 yoyos mind you. But you, being awesome, will surely have a deal on :D

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

RicherSounds! Looking for christmas presents and my brother is a big music fan but plays music off his laptop speakers. He's a musician himself so usually plays Flacs (even though has crappy laptop speakers) but can distinguish between crap and good quite well.

So basically I need two nice looking bookshelf speakers (or even floorstanders if they're not too obtrusive) that play a warm deep sound for Jazz and the like. Budget's around 150 to 200 yoyos mind you. But you, being awesome, will surely have a deal on :D

Darren,

apologies for the delay getting back to ya..

Does your 'friend' (no one wants to admit they use their PC as their music source..) have an amplifier or does he need active speakers driven straight from the PC?

Keep me posted and I promise not to take as long to revert..

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Darren,

apologies for the delay getting back to ya..

Does your 'friend' (no one wants to admit they use their PC as their music source..) have an amplifier or does he need active speakers driven straight from the PC?

Keep me posted and I promise not to take as long to revert..

ATVB,

John Mc

:D just active speakers driven from the CD but that said if you have a stereo amp too then even better!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

:D just active speakers driven from the CD but that said if you have a stereo amp too then even better!

Hi Darren,

We dont really do much in the way of active speakers. We do stock the Harman Kardon Soundsticks which I would highly recommend if you want to keep things simple. Very weird looking speakers but they sound incredible!! Current price on these is €115.32. They're a in-store only purchase so would need to collected, will also need to check on stock with our guys in England. Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipod-iphone-speakers-docks/harman-kardon/soundsticks-iii/harm-soundsticks-2

Here's another option. On a separates tip now. The Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 amp:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-am1/camb-topaz-am1-blk

Matched with the Wharfdale Diamond 9.0

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk

This would be a nice system to get started. Fairly basic but sounds grand. Would be a million times better than laptop speakers ;)

The total for the amp and speakers delivered would be €183.19. Speaker cable starts from just €1.26 per meter.

Check them out and let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks Kenny, you're right. I should go with stereo amp and separates. Better quality now and better in the long run. If I increase budget to £200 what can you recommend? Note - just a stereo amp plus speakers, don't power power- or pre-amp stuff. I'll need 5m of speaker cable too :)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Kenny, you're right. I should go with stereo amp and separates. Better quality now and better in the long run. If I increase budget to £200 what can you recommend? Note - just a stereo amp plus speakers, don't power power- or pre-amp stuff. I'll need 5m of speaker cable too :)

Darren
    Thanks for coming back to us, if it was me I'd look at the Cambridge Audio A5 (£119.95) with the matching S30 speakers (£129.95)...

I know the total blows the budget but I'd do it at £199.95 with 5mtrs of Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 speaker cable - that's a cracking deal!
    http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Cambridge-Audio-S30/
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews84124.html

We have them both available to ship straight away so if you would like to grab them just drop us a line and we will get it sorted for you asap

Thanks again
    John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.