Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 6, wiring from router to wall plate

Options
  • 06-12-2012 2:39pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys
    I have have a cable run from where the wireless router to the back of the TV.
    I am connecting my sat box to the internet.

Its CAT6.

I used the diagram there in this link below to wire the RJ45; T568A.

RJ-45-Wiring-Diagram-2.png?91b549

I plugged this into one of the ports on my Belkin router.

I then when downstairs and I wired up the jack and punched them down using the punchdown tool I have.

I plugged in a cable and connected it to my laptop but I am not getting an NW connection.

I am limited knowledge on this so I would appreciate any help.

Have I wired the RJ45 correctly or do I need a bridge or something on the end of the RJ45 and then plug a cable from my router into this bridge?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yop wrote: »
    Guys
    I have have a cable run from where the wireless router to the back of the TV.
    I am connecting my sat box to the internet.

Its CAT6.

I used the diagram there in this link below to wire the RJ45; T568A.

RJ-45-Wiring-Diagram-2.png?91b549

I plugged this into one of the ports on my Belkin router.

I then when downstairs and I wired up the jack and punched them down using the punchdown tool I have.

I plugged in a cable and connected it to my laptop but I am not getting an NW connection.

I am limited knowledge on this so I would appreciate any help.

Have I wired the RJ45 correctly or do I need a bridge or something on the end of the RJ45 and then plug a cable from my router into this bridge?

Thanks

B is what's used both ends. A is only for the other end of a crossover cable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Ah, so I have used the wrong one! :( So I need to rewire the RJ45 to match the one in B?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Yes, A to B there is for a crossover, you need to wire A to A.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

lol I go B to B

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes, A to B there is for a crossover, you need to wire A to A.

Thanks
    Just to confirm, the A diagram on the left, is what I have it wired on the RJ45 going into the router.

So I have to rewire to match the one on the right, B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    But if you use the same one at both ends of the cable it makes no difference which you use as long as you are consistent, i.e. A to A or B to B. Electrons don't care what colour wire they're running along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

both ends need to be wired exactly in the same order.

doesn't matter which you use A or B as long as both ends are the same.

The other end is an ethernet jack its not an RJ45 connector.

So I had to match up the cables on that and punch them down as I did.

The cables on the left hand side of the jack are:
    Green
    Green/white
    Orange
    Orange/white

On the right they are:
    Brown
    Brown/white
    Blue
    Blue/white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yop wrote: »
    The other end is an ethernet jack its not an RJ45 connector.

So I had to match up the cables on that and punch them down as I did.

The cables on the left hand side of the jack are:
    Green
    Green/white
    Orange
    Orange/white

On the right they are:
    Brown
    Brown/white
    Blue
    Blue/white

The other end is wired B (which is the norm) so you need to connect that end using B so you have both the same like a straight through cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

A should be one end of the wire and A should be the other end of the wire

OR

B should be one end of the wire and B should be the other end of the wire

(A only goes to B in a special type of cable that's not really used called a crossover cable. It allows you to connect computers together without a router/switch/hub)

So change whichever end is easiest to work with.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, wiring it using B did the treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Is your router a gigabit router, if not its a waste of cat6 cable use cat5 instead

Advertisement