Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options
  • 06-12-2012 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Background:

I've been running 'seriously' just under 2 years, when I say 'seriously', I mean with some consistency and structure.
    I played 5-Aside for a few years and was fairly fit in my youth, but never really took up or had interest in running.

Now, as a 40 year old man, with 2 marathons behind me, running is a bit of an obsession.
    Running, reading about running, eating for running's sake, running gear..... its all an obsession at this stage and one I greatly enjoy.

My 1st Marathon (DCM 2011) was a disaster - an ITB laden training regieme meant cramp from mile 17 onwards to a 3:65 finish.
    DCM 2012 was near perfect training and a near perfect run to a 3:23 finish. Of the 10 or so races I've done, this was the most enjoyable.

Now - I want to really tackle the shorter stuff for a few months and then launch back into DCM '13.
    And finish my MBA part time .

PB's as of 1st Dec '12
    5k: 19:27 (Jingle Bells '12)
    10k: 42:15 (GIR '12)
    5m: 32:30 (DCM Race Series '12)
    10m: 72:01 (DCM Race Series '12)
    HM: 1:34:05 (DCM Race Series '12)
    Mar: 3:23:17 (DCM '12)

Goals for 2013:
    1. Figure out how to create a table on boards :-)
    2. Run under 19m for 5k.
    3. Run under 40m for 10k
    4. Run 1:30 for HM
    5. Run 3:15 for Marathon.
    6. Do the above times with the least disruption to family life, studies and work!!

I've got a lot of inspiration from reading other logs, seen the good banter that goes on and took some really great advice - heres hoping others get similar from this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Short and sweet!:D Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »
    Short and sweet!:D Good luck!

you're much too quick with your comment!! thank God for the edit button.......

That's better! Similar goals as myself so will be following with interest!:)

December so far:

Since before DCM I've been nursing a niggle in my thigh/abductor. Physio got me through DCM unscathed and I've been doing some light running since. With Jingle bells on the 1st of December, I went out to do a speed session the previous Tuesday and felt a strain again. I had planned on doing 6*800 but ended up just doing 3 reps.

Sat 1st Dec:
    On the morning of Jingle Bells 5k, I had a plan B of running with my daughter as she made her 5k debut, but if the leg felt good - I'd keep going.
    Off went the gun, off went I, and 19:27 later - I finished with a 58 sec PB (my last & only other 5k race was Feb '12). The leg held up and I felt good.
    I jogged back to run with my daughter and she finished in 27:00 flat - quite an accomplishment and I was so proud to see her sprint through others to try to break the 27m. (Part of me wanted to ask her why she had energy left to kick so hard - maybe she was holding back during the race.......but thats for another day :-) )

Later that day, I went out for a 3m recovery (25 mins) with the dog.

Monday 3rd: 1 hour of 5-Aside Soccer.

Tuesday 4th: 4m easy run (leg not great) - 32 mins

Wednesday: Spent some time doing core work and leg strenghtening work.

Thursday 5th: 4m fartlek with the dog. Cold and raining, but felt great and the leg held up really well.(4m in 30:19)

Might try a longer easy run on Friday as I've College on Sat & am travelling to Prague with work from Sun-Thur.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck with the log. Your PB's and goal times are almost identical to mine so will be following your progress with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck with the goals (and to a lesser extent the MBA ..... hardly important though is it ;))

7.3 miles today in 53mins. Ave pace 7:53.

2m slow/ 4 tempo inc 1 at HM/ 1 slow.

Nice loop in Phoenix park, included Furry Glen, pitches at acres, up & down the Kyber and up Chesterfield. So a good few drags and hills.

This has been one of my best runs since DCM, strangely the leg feels much better when I run at a faster pace.
    Legs felt good afterwards, nice to have that burning feeling back in them!

Studies and work Travel til next wed, Christmas party on Thursday, so probably no running til next Sat. Might do the legs a world of good taking a week off. Will do some strength work in gym while away, but won't run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck with the log and the addiction, isn't it funny how it works out that soon running is all we thing & talk about!!:D

Not meant to run til Saturday, but was feeling strong today and had some free time, so whats a guy to do?

7:3 miles in Phoenix Park with Maisy (the dog) - average pace 7:40 per mile.
    Felt great before, during and after - leg held up great - going to wait a while before I try any sessions (well - I'm out on a session tonight, but its a different kind...).

Also spent 20mins doing a core work out.

One thing that I done well during training this year, that I've stopped since DCM is my recovery drink after a run.
    I'm convinced that this really helped my training load last year and was an enabler to do quality sessions and tempo runs.
    Must get back on that wagon.

Friday 14th

4 mile run to prove (or pretend) to the OH that I hadn't a hang over from the Christmas party the previous night.

4m @ 8:05/m

Saturday 15th

7.3m @ 7:51/m
    Nice loop again in the Phonix park - done it in reverse this time. Made sure to work hard on the Furry Glen hill and also the Kybher.
    Had a couple of 7:30 miles in here - which was nice as my intention was to run by feel and not look at the watch.

The few 7m runs I've done since the marathon have felt confortable at MP.
    As I approach the coming 2-3 weeks its about maintaining fitness and getting a good base for the 10k plan that starts in Feb.
    The leg feels great, so I dont want to push it too much initially.

For the coming 2 weeks, I want to run a longish run (11-12m), run a 5k race (Malahide Park Run on 22nd), do 2 interval sessions and a couple of 5-7m runs.
    That should set me up nicely for Jan '13.

Also bought my recovery drink and put out some 'feelers' to my girls for a new pair of runners as a Christmas pressie......

Mojo is in the right place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Friday 14th

4 mile run to prove (or pretend) to the OH that I hadn't a hang over from the Christmas party the previous night.

4m @ 8:05/m

Saturday 15th

7.3m @ 7:51/m
    Nice loop again in the Phonix park - done it in reverse this time. Made sure to work hard on the Furry Glen hill and also the Kybher.
    Had a couple of 7:30 miles in here - which was nice as my intention was to run by feel and not look at the watch.

The few 7m runs I've done since the marathon have felt confortable at MP.
    As I approach the coming 2-3 weeks its about maintaining fitness and getting a good base for the 10k plan that starts in Feb.
    The leg feels great, so I dont want to push it too much initially.

For the coming 2 weeks, I want to run a longish run (11-12m), run a 5k race (Malahide Park Run on 22nd), do 2 interval sessions and a couple of 5-7m runs.
    That should set me up nicely for Jan '13.

Also bought my recovery drink and put out some 'feelers' to my girls for a new pair of runners as a Christmas pressie......

Mojo is in the right place!

What recovery drink are you taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

rasher_m wrote: »
    What recovery drink are you taking?

You took the words right out of my mouth, Rasher_M ! (If that makes sense on an Internet forum?) :)

Also I'd love to know what the key thing you believe that contributed to a 40+ minute improvement on your marathon time?

Good luck with your log too.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Your goals are nearly the exact same as mine. Best of luck with the log. They need to change the 'follow thread' button to 'stalk' in this case for me :-)

In terms of recovery drinks, I was very sceptical about these until last year. I was a 'pint of milk' man or a carton of 'chocolate milk' - always thought that the recovery drinks were a money making racket.

I started taking a whey protein drink, but found them hard to take and a bit sickening, someone told me about 'Optimum Nutrition' 2:1:1 Recovery.
    I find it very easy to drink after a session or any long run - its mixed with water so easier to digest. The main difference was in the recovery time - I play a lot of 5-Aside as well, which are high intensity and would be a heavy sweater, so I feel I need something. This seems to work a treat as I was Injury free for the majority of 2012.
    Now - it could be also to do with my running form improving, or my endurance levels improving, or my muscles working better due to higher milage - whatever it was it worked!

The downside is that its €50 a tub - for about 15 servings (€3:33 per serving) so its very steep.

Although I bought 1 at the weekend, I'm currently looking to see if I can get a similar one for cheaper.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Also I'd love to know what the key thing you believe that contributed to a 40+ minute improvement on your marathon time?

Good luck with your log too.

My marathon in 2011 was based on poor quality training as I had ITB for a good portion of the 2 months prior to the race, so my long runs were very poor quality.
    For 2012, I focused the early part of the year on speedwork (10k then HM up til July) - then I increased my milage, done more 'better quality' long runs, stayed injury free and stuck to a plan on the day of the marathon.

My wife even remarked that after my 20 milers this year, I was not as tired (I think she meant irratable :)) and that the training didn't impinge on 'family time'.
    So I'll be trying to replicate this again for next year.

Focus up til April GIR is 5k/10k. Then HM following that to July. 2 weeks off - then into training for DCM.

Monday 17th December

took a lot of inspiration from reading other training logs today.

Done a nice 5x1m session today - I changed location from Phoenix park to Porterstown Park (Near Clonsilla). It has a path that measures exactly 1m around the path - great for intervals of any distance. I think Maisy appreciated the change of scenery as well (no cars).

Mile 1: Warm Up - 8:00
    Mile 2: 10m Pace - 7:05 (5 sec slow due to 'dog' issues)
    Mile 3: 5k Pace - 6:11 (bit too fast off the blocks)
    Mile 4: HM Pace - 7:20 (10 sec slow on this one)
    Mile 5: Cool Down -8:00

nice session this - I had about 20-30 sec recovery between mile 2-3 & 3-4.

As I haven't done intervals or mile repeats in a while, I found it tough to gauge my pace without looking at my watch - at one stage my 5k paced interval was trending at 5:30/m (45 secs too fast) - no wonder my next lap was slow)
    I can recall during training last year I could tell my pace without looking at my watch.
    Hope to get back there soon.

Finished it off with a 20min core work out.

Overall 5m @ 7:19/m

Great session RK, nice one to get it out of the way early in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Monday 17th December

took a lot of inspiration from reading other training logs today.

Done a nice 5x1m session today - I changed location from Phoenix park to Porterstown Park (Near Clonsilla). It has a path that measures exactly 1m around the path - great for intervals of any distance. I think Maisy appreciated the change of scenery as well (no cars).

Mile 1: Warm Up - 8:00
    Mile 2: 10m Pace - 7:05 (5 sec slow due to 'dog' issues)
    Mile 3: 5k Pace - 6:11 (bit too fast off the blocks)
    Mile 4: HM Pace - 7:20 (10 sec slow on this one)
    Mile 5: Cool Down -8:00

nice session this - I had about 20-30 sec recovery between mile 2-3 & 3-4.

As I haven't done intervals or mile repeats in a while, I found it tough to gauge my pace without looking at my watch - at one stage my 5k paced interval was trending at 5:30/m (45 secs too fast) - no wonder my next lap was slow)
    I can recall during training last year I could tell my pace without looking at my watch.
    Hope to get back there soon.

Finished it off with a 20min core work out.

Overall 5m @ 7:19/m

Nice session there, but you need a little bit longer for recovery inbetween, 20-30 seconds is not enough and thats what probably affected your HM lap!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Nice session there, but you need a little bit longer for recovery inbetween, 20-30 seconds is not enough and thats what probably affected your HM lap!!

Thanks Younganne!

I went at this session with no structure, the only thing in my head was to do a faster session with some form of intervals in a different location to usual.

Thankfully, I didn't get injured and this shows that it pays to work from a plan.......even if you're 'in between' plans like me, work from a somewhat structured plan!!
    After just getting back from injury, the last thing I want is another injury!

Advice noted and stored in the grey matter............:)

Tuesday 18th

15-20 mins core excercises - just 1 rep of 10-12 of about 6 different activities.
    Also decided to start the 100 push up challenge (app on the iPad). Can't be harmful, I recall the MT boys talking about it last year on their podcast.

Wednesday 19th

Came home early from work and found the house empty, with a note saying my wife and kids would be back late, so, took my cue to seize the opportunity and got my gear on, including headlamp!

I've wanted to run a medium/long run for a while now, but didn't want to push the injury.
    I also wanted to run 'slow' as I've found my recent runs to be at a higher, yet comfortable, pace.
    Left my house, ran to the Phoenix park, up and down Chesterfield Ave and then home again.
    interestingly, the 1st 5 miles got progressively faster each mile, peaking at a 7:40 mile, so I slowed it up and finished the session at 10:38 miles @ 1 hr 25 (8:16/mile).

Really enjoyed the run and legs felt fine. Felt great to get a double figure run done, my 1st since DCM.

I listened to Marathon Talk from a few weeks back. Good to hear the Dublin NY Marathon get a good mention, also heard Roms shout out.
    Then they spoke about reflecting on goals, reflecting on the 5 things that went well last year and the 5 things that you'll do different in '13.
    Made me think a lot about my approach to next year.

Plan for the rest of the week:
    Thursday: Annual challenge 5-aside in work, followed by copious amounts of liquid 'recovery'.
    Friday: Recovery of body and mind!

Sat: possible Park Run debut! Depending on Fridays recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Tuesday 18th

Plan for the rest of the week:
    Thursday: Annual challenge 5-aside in work, followed by copious amounts of liquid 'recovery'.
    Friday: Recovery of body and mind!

Sat: possible Park Run debut! Depending on Fridays recovery.

Just stay off the shorts and you'll be grand. I've actually found that I recover easier from nights out since I've been running regularly.
    Hoping to make Park run myself too...sporting the Boards AC top of course:)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

took my cue to seize the opportunity and got my gear on, including headlamp!

Left my house, ran to the Phoenix park, up and down Chesterfield Ave and then home again.

How well lit is Chesterfield Avenue at night? Could you get away running from Castleknock gate to Parkgate Street without a headlamp?

beeduybe wrote: »
    How well lit is Chesterfield Avenue at night? Could you get away running from Castleknock gate to Parkgate Street without a headlamp?

if you run on the bike lane you might get away with it as its bright enough - I ran there a good bit last year with no headlamp. You'd obviously need something reflective as there are a lot of cyclists too.

you'd be amazed at the number of people out with headlamps, I felt like a gimp wearing it initially, but you see it so often now that its commonplace for me.

Made my Park Run debut today.

Was lying in bed at 8:20am wondering if I should do it or not, felt a bit chesty and the half bottle of wine the previous night wasn't helping.
    The main reason for doing this run was it felt like the right time to become a real runner - by that I mean, as I haven't raced much, all my races were PB's and they were all big events - mainly the Dublin Marathon Series. So running and not getting a PB would take a little bit of pressure off. As I plan on doing a lot more races this year, I know that its not going to be possible to get a PB every race.
    So, given the 'not ideal' prep and the bad chest I went along with the intention of trying to get close to 20 mins.

On turning up and finding the start, I was impressed with the organisation - they all seemed to know what they were doing even though 'Chief organiser' told me that there were a few 1st time volunteers today.

We listened to the prep speech and then walked to the start line - thats a nice touch I think as it gives you a chance to mingle and speak to your fellow runners.
    I met RedRunner there today, proudly sporting his Boards AC top. Thought I seen Meno at the start but wasn't sure it was him.

Off went the Klaxon and we were off. 1st mistake was to trust my Garmin in under the trees - it told me my pace was 7:10, when it was obviously faster.
    The 1st 'hill' came and went, then we came into a lot of flooded paths and some heavy underfoot, nothing too much - at that stage I turned to the guy breathing down my neck and asked him was he 'Meno' - lucky it was him indeed, so we kept going.

At mile 3 I could feel the chest heavy and the legs even heavier. My legs hadn't been that mucky sine I played a 'proper' football match at U18 level!!
    Went through the final hill and home in 19:51 (Garmin time) - very happy with the time as my PB is 19:27 on the 'easy' Jingle Bells route.

the Splits were
    6:14/6:24/6:36 - so the legs were giving way by the end.

Great route and one that I'll be doing again, even better to meet 2 fellow Boardsies.

Good run RK, I tend to start off fast myself. all about experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

the Splits were
    6:14/6:24/6:36 - so the legs were giving way by the end.

Good running and nice to meet you.
    Now I see why my Garmin measured the course short, it gives my second Mile as 6:40 when it must have been 6:20ish going from your splits.
    Must have lost coverage in the trees....

Glad I could pace you to a Park Run PB, Meno !

Sunday 23rd.
    Nice 6.3 loop around the Phoenix Park. Felt a bit tired today so didn't push the pace and avoided the Khyber.6.3 @7:58/m

Monday 24thWent for a 4-5m walk with the older daughter and the dog around the phoenix park. Brought her around the Magazine fort and told her about the famous Munich loops that Eamonn Coughlan used to do here. Plenty of deer at the Acres football pitches - got some great photos.

Tuesday 25th
    Spent the day Protein and Carb loading, threw in some Iron (Guiness) and some antioxidants (Red wine) into the mix as well as well as some medication (Brandy)for my bad chest....ahem.
    Following this strenous activity I then did some Core Workouts.
    This was like an inverse Plank, I call it 'The Coma'. Best done on the sofa.

Wednesday 26th
    6.3 miles around the phoenix park. Same loop as always but for some reason my running buddy wouldn't go down the Khyber? Maybe she had too much turkey as well yesterday. 6.3m @7.56 - felt very strong, so threw in some fast (5:40/m X5) strides in at the end.

Now to spend the evening excercising my right arm with an above average intake of Iron. Followed by my new favourite work out - The Coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I've been looking forward to this log. Even in my injured state of being too bitter to read other logs, it's hard not to enjoy your writing! Good going with your own training and holding off your injury. Your 5km time is a very good indication of you getting the better of the injury.

I look forward to running with you in the new year!

• Advertisement

Watch out for that PF, I believe it's a bugger to get rid off. I've a mild form of it, not really treating it so need to heed my own advice too!

Advertisement