Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Laughed at the getting lost bit.

Was in Prague last week with work. Went for a run around vysherad. One of the nicest runs I've ever had the pleasure of. Apparently the formation of the city started there. Well worth a visit with the trainers if you're any way close by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thurs 11th
    1 hr 5 aside football: Bad PF on Friday morning. Think I need to do something different with this football. Either decide that its having a negative impact on my training & bow out or get different runners, dont run as much and do a recovery run afterwards. Something has to change!!

Amazing to type that as I started running to help with Thursday footie!!

I packed in competitive football and 5 a side Etc when I started running seriously. The running helps the football but football is no good for running. I cracked 2 ribs 8 weeks out from my first marathon last yr, it made for some very uncomfortable lsr's!

DP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Gavlor wrote: »
    I packed in competitive football and 5 a side Etc when I started running seriously. The running helps the football but football is no good for running. I cracked 2 ribs 8 weeks out from my first marathon last yr, it made for some very uncomfortable lsr's!

I also gave up the my astro league recently....just wasn't worth it as the miles started to rack up...to many niggles the following day affecting training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

statss wrote: »
    I also gave up the my astro league recently....just wasn't worth it as the miles started to rack up...to many niggles the following day affecting training

Have to agree with the others on this although I am back playing astro for the past two weeks - just enjoy it too much to give up completely but is a call i'm going to have to make soon:(. I have cut down from two days a week so not its not as bad - I also plan my rest day for the day after a game off ball or a recovery run which does help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Cutting down on football - been there. Cutting out football - sounds a bit inevitable! A year ago, I never thought I would be thinking about giving up football for running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Re: 5 Aside football.
    Never thought I'd even consider it - I love it too much, but if it becomes an obstacle, then I'll have to make a decision.

Re: This weeks Running - Not getting too much in - Intense meetings 8-6 and dinner committments every evening.

Tuesday 16th
    Had a 4m run in Czech Republic on Tuesday evening. That was the most I could manage given time considerations.
    The other guys found an Irish bar in the back end of no where in Cz Republic (Pardubice), so went there and had a few...ahem....

Wed 17th
    Went to Germany on Wednesday, came into hotel, got changed and went out again for a quick 4m (inc 7x10sec strides) before dinner. Very warm over here, was breathing very heavy after a few strides!!
    Late meal and more alcohol (not too much!)

This is very bad prep for Saturdays 10k - my indiscipline has me worried!!

Re: 5 Aside football.
    Never thought I'd even consider it - I love it too much, but if it becomes an obstacle, then I'll have to make a decision.

Re: This weeks Running - Not getting too much in - Intense meetings 8-6 and dinner committments every evening.

Tuesday 16th
    Had a 4m run in Czech Republic on Tuesday evening. That was the most I could manage given time considerations.
    The other guys found an Irish bar in the back end of no where in Cz Republic (Pardubice), so went there and had a few...ahem....

Wed 17th
    Went to Germany on Wednesday, came into hotel, got changed and went out again for a quick 4m (inc 7x10sec strides) before dinner. Very warm over here, was breathing very heavy after a few strides!!
    Late meal and more alcohol (not too much!)

Boo fricken hoo

Czech republic, germany etc etc etc

Well I had a meeting in Carlow yesterday and I'm in clonmel on Friday so there!!

It's the free beer and wine that's the biggest problem, what's a guy to do?

It's the free beer and wine that's the biggest problem, what's a guy to do?

Drink and be merry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

What are you worried about? It's a taper week complete with carb loading:rolleyes:

As for the football, could you play in goal? If it's the banter with the lads you'd miss, then playing in a less strenuous position could be a compromise? If it's just the football you'd miss, I think you already know the answer cos you love running!

I'm far too good off a player to be in goal :-)

Had a couple of really short runs this week, too much food and a bit of drink, but have that 'stodgy' feeling about me.
    Home late Fri night/ sat morn isn't ideal.

Now, there's all my excuses out of the way early........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Cleanman wrote: »
    What are you worried about? It's a taper week complete with carb loading:rolleyes:

As for the football, could you play in goal? If it's the banter with the lads you'd miss, then playing in a less strenuous position could be a compromise? If it's just the football you'd miss, I think you already know the answer cos you love running!

As a former goalkeeper I don't believe you are less likely to get injured in goal. In fact with some of the defenses I had playing in front of me, you could be more likely to get injured:D
    I'm far too good off a player to be in goal :-)

Had a couple of really short runs this week, too much food and a bit of drink, but have that 'stodgy' feeling about me.
    Home late Fri night/ sat morn isn't ideal.

Now, there's all my excuses out of the way early........

As a former goalkeeper. I take offence at that statement !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Plan for Saturday RK?

Don't know J, right now, I'd rather not do it, tough week mentally and stomachly (new word: patent pending), but if I don't do it Gavlor will gimme a hard time :)

Being honest, 38:xx is there, but not tomorrow.

I'll look to run close to 6:20's for 1st couple of miles and see how I feel.
    Could end up with a 41 or a 39.xx.

Either way I have many more 10ks ahead, so not going to pressurise myself.

Still in Germany, home later, so hopefully no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Don't know J, right now, I'd rather not do it, tough week mentally

If you are not feeling it in the morning then do the right thing and pull the plug. It will do you more harm than good otherwise.

Best of luck anyway whatever you decide! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Could have written that bit myself - if you do plan to do it tomorrow, look out for me and we might be able to work together. :)

Don't know J, right now, I'd rather not do it, tough week mentally and stomachly (new word: patent pending), but if I don't do it Gavlor will gimme a hard time :)

Meh, it's only 10k....

Go hard or go home ;)

Meh, it's only 10k....

Go hard or go home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck tomorrow, as it is a BHAA race there will be a huge amount of people under 40 minutes tomorrow so you will have plenty of company. I ran 39.15 last year, breaking 40 for the first time and I was well outside the top 100 (only about 400 in the race!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Not much to add that hasn't already been posted except to say that in spite of not achieving your goal in the race you most definitely reached the A-standard in your report. And we're all really proud of you:) onwards and upwards now J

Marthastew wrote: »
    Not much to add that hasn't already been posted except to say that in spite of not achieving your goal in the race you most definitely reached the A-standard in your report. And we're all really proud of you:) onwards and upwards now J

Friday evening tipple mrs stew????

Marthastew wrote: »

So I'm now relegated to being Johnny's assistant now...........

It's either taper madness or pre race jitters!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Gavlor wrote: »
    Friday evening tipple mrs stew????
    So I'm now relegated to being Johnny's assistant now...........

It's either taper madness or pre race jitters!!
    :)

Oops.... I wish it was Friday evening tipple.... Taper madness:D
    Firstly, apologies, that was obviously meant for Johnny and secondly best of luck in the race tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in the morning, no more than blockic being in sub 3 shape, your in sub 40 shape. Now go do it and never mind the excuses.

KClub 10k

Woke up early enough, feeling pretty ok with myself.
    Had a decent breakfast early enough and headed off to the KClub.

Met up with quite a few Boardsies before hand - all was good.
    1.5m warm up with Bedubyee and a few stretches - felt great.

Startline was a bit mental - I was expecting a chip mat and then I found myself pretty far back in the group.
    Off we went.

1st mile was a tough one as I was weaving in and out of people to get some running room.
    Found a 6:15 pace and stuck with that...............for a few hundred meters.

By 3k, I knew I was in trouble. That's less than 2 miles. Legs were dead, despite me only running a grand total of 15 mile the previous week.

Thought it was just a lull, so kept with it to get my second wind, but the pace was dropping bigtime. 4k came around and I was just on target for 40 mins.
    By the time 5km came around, I knew I could not hold any pace for 5 more KM's. Legs were jelly and I had a bad stitch.
    So I stopped - no demons, which was surprising. I think even the demons even knew they didn't need to come out today.
    Time on my watch at that stage was 20:35 for 5km. So the pace had dropped a lot.

I seen Digger by the 5km mark, so had a chat with him (I really stopped just to let people see me with Digger).
    At that stage I had resolved to DNF and go home and write it off. I mentioned to Digger that it would be my first DNF, as I watched others run around the bend, some in a bad state, some obviously just doing a training run.

So I jumped back in, didn't want a DNF on my card just 'cos I was "tired". Get a grip Alan I said to myself.

So back in after about 5-6 mins talking on the side and went around at about 7min miles and finished it.
    I must say, racing without time pressure is fantastic and so much more enjoyable!!

Finished up in 48:xx (had paused my watch earlier) - met a few familiar faces on the side after the race (Non Boardsies and Boardsies) so had a good chat.
    The spread afterwards was unbelievable - cant quite believe how they can put that spread on for a €10 race!!

Met up with CL & Digger, CM (had a great race), Tom Joad, Dave McMahon (nice PB) Vadarmlk (who's wife was running) and no doubt I've missed someone.

Dont really mind the poor time, happy I didn't DNF (or DNM as we were joking!).
    Race is wrote off in my mind - I'm better than that, I know - next race will be different. Onwards and upwards.

Bad day at the office running wise, but meeting up with the Boards crew was worth the trip out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Blouse!! Ah no seriously, clearly one of those days. As you said you know your WAY better than that, the week you had didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

tang1 wrote: »
    Blouse!! Ah no seriously, clearly one of those days. As you said you know your WAY better than that, the week you had didn't help.

+1 to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

No wonder I couldn't see at the finish line for the few mins after I finished. Sounds like you had a worse day than I had. Nice to meet you anyway and I'm sure you will have better days in the future. When is that Dublin Bay race you were talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Being away from home this week was hardly ideal prep, onwards and upwards. What's up next?

Advertisement