Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

beeduybe wrote: »
    No wonder I couldn't see at the finish line for the few mins after I finished. Sounds like you had a worse day than I had. Nice to meet you anyway and I'm sure you will have better days in the future. When is that Dublin Bay race you were talking about?
    statss wrote: »
    Being away from home this week was hardly ideal prep, onwards and upwards. What's up next?

Dublin Bay run on May 4th. Weather Gods will dictate this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Dublin Bay run on May 4th. Weather Gods will dictate this one!

Just found the website for it but not too familiar with the area. Is some of it on the beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

beeduybe wrote: »
    Just found the website for it but not too familiar with the area. Is some of it on the beach?

Good mile of the course is on Dollymount Beach, i do most of my running there and there hasn't been a calm day out that way this year!! Its pancake flat but if wind is blowing it makes it tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Another lad I would have put a big bet on - similar surprise to Blockic's news after Rotterdam on reading your report. Working away messes you up though - especially sleep wise. Must have played a big part. And some days, the body just doesn't feel like running hard. The only thing that's a surprise is that you didn't do that much mileage this week so the legs should have been fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

guinang wrote: »
    Another lad I would have put a big bet on - similar surprise to Blockic's news after Rotterdam on reading your report. Working away messes you up though - especially sleep wise. Must have played a big part. And some days, the body just doesn't feel like running hard. The only thing that's a surprise is that you didn't do that much mileage this week so the legs should have been fresher.

He's just saving the legs for our smackdown. :D;)

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Good mile of the course is on Dollymount Beach, i do most of my running there and there hasn't been a calm day out that way this year!! Its pancake flat but if wind is blowing it makes it tough going.

Not quite on Dollymount, but on the sand in Bull Island. It's very firm.
    I ran there in the half marathon last yr and it posed no problem.

If its a windy day then it'll pose some issues.

blockic wrote: »
    He's just saving the legs for our smackdown. :D;)

The small print in our smack down says that you give me 1.5 secs for every year age difference!

The small print in our smack down says that you give me 1.5 secs for every year age difference!

I'll agree to that!! :D Time to have some fun after a week of disaster! Time and Location?

Bob Heffernan 5km? Or possibly Kildare 10km. Think I'll enter these two.

I'll agree to that!! :D Time to have some fun after a week of disaster! Time and Location?

Bob Heffernan 5km? Or possibly Kildare 10km. Think I'll enter these two.

If your planning on doing Kildare expect a two hour wait to get out of the carpark after the race going on last year. Most of last years 10km course was on grass on Curragh plains which was totally exposed to the wind. Plus its crazy money for a 10k. Sorry just letting ye know, not a value for money race IMO.

If your planning on doing Kildare expect a two hour wait to get out of the carpark after the race going on last year. Most of last years 10km course was on grass on Curragh plains which was totally exposed to the wind. Plus its crazy money for a 10k. Sorry just letting ye know, not a value for money race IMO.

Just looking it up there actually, I just saw the day first and it suited. Looks to be all on road this year. But very expensive for 10km alright and not so sure now. Any other good 10km around that weekend. Bob Heffernan is a cert for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Just looking it up there actually, I just saw the day first and it suited. Looks to be all on road this year. But very expensive for 10km alright and not so sure now. Any other good 10km around that weekend. Bob Heffernan is a cert for me anyway.

None that i know of, 22nd of June Mick Manning in Dunshaughlin is the premier 10k in Leinster yearly to be honest, fast as fcuk course. I know its a pain travelling for you but ask Meno, RayCun or any of the other good runners and they will tell you exact same.

None that i know of, 22nd of June Mick Manning in Dunshaughlin is the premier 10k in Leinster yearly to be honest, fast as fcuk course. I know its a pain travelling for you but ask Meno, RayCun or any of the other good runners and they will tell you exact same.

Cool. That's on my schedule too but was going to try sneak one in beforehand. :cool: nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good to meet you today Running King - pity it didn't go the way you planned but there will be better races ahead..

Bob heffernan suits me more than Kildare 10k.
    Phil (vadarmlk) said he's doing it as well.
    Must persuade the Gavolator to turn up.

Dunshaughlin 10k sounds good too.

So age difference is 14 yrs? (Technically I could be your father), that means 21 seconds. My PB is 18:39, you've ran your wind adjusted time trial in 18:11.

Should be tight unless I do a Tottenham.

So age difference is 14 yrs? (Technically I could be your father), that means 21 seconds. My PB is 18:39, you've ran your wind adjusted time trial in 18:11.

Should be tight unless I do a Tottenham.

Haha, yeah that's about right!! I think you might have to break the 18 to beat me though! ;)

Unless u do an Arsenal?

Unless u do an Arsenal?

What's that? Lose to sh!te opponents? Doubt it! :pac:

Think Brianderunner(aka Meno) is a good at offering odds, we could open put some money on this!!!

Sunday 21
    Finished off the week with 4m recovery run @ 7:41 pace. What a difference 24 hrs makes.
    Brought my weekly total to a lofty 21.88m

Monday 22nd
    5.74m along the canal from Coolmine up to God knows where. Could've went on for ages, but didn't want to push it.
    Ave pace 7:35

Sundays & Mondays runs were too fast, I know, but for the life of me I couldn't slow it down.........some people might say that I ran a recovery run in the KClub on Sat, so that'll make up for it :)

Tuesday 23rd.

Caught in a quandary tonight. The plan was to do 10miles.
    But a mix up with wifey (my fault) put a halt to that. Only had an hour to spare, so went to Ph Park with the dog and done a loop - 7.3miles @ 7:09 pace.

As I started off, I wanted to do an easy run, as I had planned a session for Wednesday, but felt very strong so took advantage of it and done some long fartleks.
    For the most part the speed portions were no faster than 10k pace, but did catch a 5:35 going up the Khyber (about 600 meters) and done the final 0.25m up to Whites Gate in 4:54 pace - just to practice the final kick.
    Poor dog struggled to keep up. I had some stops in the run to allow her to catch up.

Got back into stretching and core work these last few days - I've been remiss on this in recent weeks.
    Also great to get back to my normal pattern of eating & sleeping again.
    Great to be back running in just T Shirts again - can I tempt fate and put the base layers away??

The planned session for tomorrow may become an easy run or a long run.

Must also add that the Phoenix Park was thronged this evening with walkers and runners. Great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great to be back running in just T Shirts again - can I tempt fate and put the base layers away??
    No. We're due to have the coldest May bank holiday.......ever. Do you not read my log :confused::D

After the 18 degrees balmy sunshine yesterday to the lashing rain today.

No dog with me tonight, so decided to do a long run (10 miles) and throw in a route that included some hills/inclines - Military Hill, Upper Glen Road and Whites Road.
    Didn't want to do a 'slow' or 'easy paced' run but I knew that a session or tempo may push me over the edge.

So chose to run at a pace above threshold (7min/miles)for 7miles, then do a 2m cooldown.

Mile 1 was a warm up - 7.52
    Next 4: 7.23/7.1/7.08/6.52
    Mile 6 was Military Hill - carried that mile in 6.54 (wanted to stop, but didn't)
    Mile 7 Upper Glen Road in 6.58
    Mile 8 to Whites Gate in 7:01
    Last 2 home (cooldown) were 7:20 & 7:40 with the last piece at 8:05.

Interestingly, from the 10 miles the 1st 5m=36:23. The 2nd 5m=36:22

Very happy with that workout.
    As I was doing it I was wondering what 'stimilus' I would get or what 'adaptataion' would occur as I wasn't really testing v02 max and it wasn't at my threshold or tempo pace so it wouldn't be increasing my lactate Threshold level?? Maybe I'm reading too much?

In the end - it was a good run - good miles in the legs & tested my endurance but more importantly gave me a lot of confidence after Saturdays debacle.

10.27m @ 7:18 ave. (1hr 15m).

Came home and watched the German dominance (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

German dominance has been a shocker. Did some eye scratching tonight but last night was unreal. That 3rd goal tonight was a peach. No idea how he found space with two on him.

Whooper final. No love loss there especially with the Mario Goetz debacle.

Thurs 25th

5-aside football. Wore an old pair of Asics 2160's, no PF pain next day. (2160 Runners contributed to me missing 2 open goals.....the runners.......not me)

Tried to run a lot less, slow game as a result, but felt strong leaving!

Friday 26th

6 miles in 47.57. (7:59)
    Wanted to run really slow, found it difficult, the complete run was at about 8 min miles, but the reality was a bit yo yo, each mile up and down as I tried to keep a slow pace.
    Nice run and the dog loved the slower pace

What stage of your year long plan are you at?

Taking as it comes? Is you Half Mara phase starting soon?

Right now I'm in between plans.
    HM starts Monday week.

Right now I'm a disaster, I'm going from HM plan to HM Plan, google is my best friend.
    I had a plan from a book I bought (P&d), but then reading some other stuff has 'enlightened' me even more :-)
    Work is just getting in the way of this key research!!!

I want to lock in a HM plan this week. One that allows me to progress to a marathon plan seamlessly.
    Also one that has the right mix of LT/ V02max/speed/LSR.

Right now I have about 4 plans in my head.
    I think I need help.

I want to lock in a HM plan this week. One that allows me to progress to a marathon plan seamlessly.
    Also one that has the right mix of LT/ V02max/speed/LSR.

Right now I have about 4 plans in my head.
    I think I need help.

Haha, I'm pretty much like you so but for a 10km plan!! Too many options and the last thing I want to do is do a Gavlor on it! ;) I work best on a schedule, if its written down, I do it. I'm not great at playing it as it comes.

You running Lucan by any chance? I'm thinking about it...

Nope, 'the main thing' etc.........

Thought about it, but decided no. There's too many races that you could do.
    Keeping a tight leash for the remainder of the year, will do races that suit my calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Haha, I'm pretty much like you so but for a 10km plan!! Too many options and the last thing I want to do is do a Gavlor on it! ;) I work best on a schedule, if its written down, I do it. I'm not great at playing it as it comes.

You running Lucan by any chance? I'm thinking about it...

Do a gavlor on it eh?!

I hear ya, enjoying training for a marathon sucks!!! I should be more regimented ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday 27th - Rest Day! - Made a trip to AK and got myself a pair of Brooks ST5, nice and light, but plenty of support.

Sunday 28th

4x1200

Was going over my log last light (that sounds so wrong......) and discovered that I hadn't done a lung busting V02max in a while.
    Was looking at a number of different options - decided on 4x1200 as I wanted something with a bit of endurance as well as speed(& it was already programmed into the watch!)
    Drove down to the Phoenix Park with the dog and ran the 1m to Acres football pitches.

4:25 secs (5:55 pace) is the designated time for these 1200's based on a vdot of 54. Due to the over consumption of wine & beer the previous night, I thought this was rather a amusing figure :)

Rep 1: 4.27 seconds (5:57 pace) felt tough - started out too quick and took a while to find the pace.
    Rep 2: 4:32 Seconds (6:03 pace) Slower due to the damn dog (going wrong way)! wanted to stop completley after this one.
    Rep 3: 4:20 Seconds (5:48 pace) Felt I nailed this one - part of it into the wind - was a tough tough effort.
    Rep 4: 4:27 Seconds (5:57 pace) 1st 600m felt great, then I turned into the wind - well holy God!! took a huge effort to finish - Felt I was doing 9 min/miles by the finish!

Delighted to do this and finsih them in a respectable time.
    Still haven't decided on what training plan to move to next. It'll be HM based, but I need to decide on how to structure it.

Another option that I'm mulling over is to do another 10k Plan then do a longer Marathon training plan.
    Decisions decisions.

Advertisement