Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I just noticed the dreaded PF in your log, i really hope you're not making the same mistakes I made and ignore it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Saturday 27th - Rest Day! - Made a trip to AK and got myself a pair of Brooks ST5, nice and light, but plenty of support.

I should be on commission from brooks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

It may have been a consideration in my decision........

I just noticed the dreaded PF in your log, i really hope you're not making the same mistakes I made and ignore it :-(

Its primarily football related - dont really feel it after a run.
    My footie shoes are a bit tight on me and I really feel it next day.
    Wearing the Asics last week was a revelation. I've since dumped the football shoes.

I've been to see someone about it and have been given stretches etc but like all things 'stretchy'.....it only sometimes gets done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I've been to see someone about it and have been given stretches etc but like all things 'stretchy'.....it only sometimes gets done.

My stretching regime consists of reaching into the back of the fridge for a cold can ;)

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    My stretching regime consists of reaching into the back of the fridge for a cold can ;)

CL must be out so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

CL must be out so?

Haha, she's actually out of the country ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Haha, she's actually out of the country ;)

dublin Hookers have a busy yet dangerous night ahead of them!!

I was wondering why Diggers posts were.......errmmmm.......testosterone driven

Monday 29th

5.04 recovery @ 7.46/mile: Went out at lunchtime - very uneventful. Really don't like recovery runs but I know they are important.
    Listen all you kids out there, eat your greens and do your recovery runs.

Tuesday 30th

5.85 miles inc 5x300.
    Am contemplating a 10k on Saturday, so wanted to do something to work the legs without overly tiring them.

3.25 miles in Phoenix Park - easy pace of 7:46
    Done the 300's at an average of 58 secs (range 57-61).
    1.35 warm down to the car.

Bring on May!

• Advertisement

Month|2011|2012|2013

January|18|17|133.1
    February|15|80.3|121.2
    March|20|88.3|147
    April|40|66.1|0
    May|44|105.2|0
    June|50.1|122.6|0
    July|56.1|60|0
    August|122|129.6|0
    September|125.1|184.8|0
    October|126.2|126.2|0
    November|23|54.3|0
    December|38.5|87.4|0
    Total|677.8|1122.2|401.3

but my focus will be to;
    • Do 1 run of greater than 14 miles.
    • Develop more speed endurance with 3x2m training run
    • Run 1 Park Run as a tune up for 10k run.
    • achieve sub 40 in KClub on April 20th.
    • Do 1 week of easy running following 10k race - no sessions
    • Start HM training plan last week in April
    • Am away a bit, so will be delighted to do 130 miles of running in April

Looking at my April focus - lets see how I done:
      Greater than 14 miles :mad: 3x2 training run - I done a 3x3k (1.86m)? :confused: run 1 park run :D Sub 40 at KClub :mad: :mad: 1 week of easy running after kclub - (the KClub was an easy run) :mad: Start HM training in March :mad: 130 miles for month - I finished on 129.3 :eek:

Despite being away for the bones of 2 weeks, the milage was good.

For May my focus will be:

* Nail a sub 40 10k. 2 Possible attempts(I've only ever done 2 10ks inc KClub)
    * Finally begin HM training plan on 6th May.
    * 150 miles
    * Longest run of 16 miles
    * Do at least 1 5k (Tues 21st)
    * Finish my 2nd Paper for MBA due 1st June :eek:

Happy Running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I would suggest (respectfully of course :)) that if you wanted to get the full benefit of a recovery run that your 7.46 average pace might be a touch quick. Generally the rule is at least 2 mins slower than your 10k pace so assuming you are in sub 40 shape, that's 6.26 pace + 2 mins: 8.26. It's good to do these things by feel of course but that figure just jumper out at me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

What we are saying is slow down and keep all your speed for the races! :p

I do mine between 8:30 and 9, up to a couple of months ago they were 9 to 9:15.

What 10km you thinking of doing the weekend?

Jaysus, must feel like you're not moving, you been a speedster n'all
    But you are right, I need to slow them down.

Thinking of Dublin Bay 10k, very flat, but will be weather dependent. 2k is also on hard sand.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I would suggest (respectfully of course :)) that if you wanted to get the full benefit of a recovery run that your 7.46 average pace might be a touch quick. Generally the rule is at least 2 mins slower than your 10k pace so assuming you are in sub 40 shape, that's 6.26 pace + 2 mins: 8.26. It's good to do these things by feel of course but that figure just jumper out at me a bit.

Thanks PConn - When I do recovery runs, I dont generally look at the watch and just go by feel.
    Maybe I need to look at the watch more.
    Comments and advice appreciated.

This ain't no back slapping log. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks PConn - When I do recovery runs, I dont generally look at the watch and just go by feel.
    Maybe I need to look at the watch more.
    Comments and advice appreciated.

This ain't no back slapping log. :P

So in summary;

• Run slower during recover runs
    • Run faster during races

Nothing to it really ;)

Recovery Run Report

Wednesday 1st May

Context:
    It had been a while since I had done a proper 'Recovery Run' and I had some feedback that I was going too fast in these things.
    Generally I dislike recovery runs - I find them too difficult to keep the pace consistent.
    Some of the more experienced guys on here seem to manage to hold that pace well enough.

just by chance there was a 'Recovery Run' going on in my local park today. I though here was the chance to go 'Post 8:30'.

Prep:
    I knew the pace would be difficult to hold, so I threw on a base layer and used a heavy pair of Mizuno's in order to help with the pacing.
    Plenty of water before hand along with a Banana sandwich would keep me fueled.
    I arrived in good time, looked around for 2 seconds for some Boardsies, no one there, I guess this wasn't on their radar.
    Plenty of dogs & walkers abound - so there'd be some pacemakers for me. In thinking this, I realized I had no pace band, so the Garmin would have to do.

The Recovery Run

I set off at a good pace (8:40) - the legs shuffling along, my 4 legged companion shot off ahead of me in anticipation of what lay ahead.
    By the mid point of mile 1, the pace got tough and I slipped to an 8:20 - still overall pace was on target.
    Mile 1 finished off at 8:27. Off my pace.

Mile 2 was similar - I changed tactic during this by going off course in order to slow me down and ran on Grass. Mile 2 came and went at 8:29.

As I approached the start of Mile 3, I wiped the non existent sweat from my forehead, despite the pace, I was lapping the walkers.
    Then it happened. I knew I'd suffer as a result.

A pretty girl ran past me. NOOoooooo! - I was going so well, my pace was consistent. I had a choice to make.

I chose keeping the pace - I did speed up slightly for about 2-3 mins - then I watched her disappear into the distance. All for the greater cause.
    Mile 3 was a disaster as a result: 8:14

I vowed to keep mile 4 in my target timeframe. Again keeping it on grass, passing the walkers. I can do it. The lungs screamed at me to speed up, but I wouldn't do it.
    Mile 4 came around in 8:34.

I was 0.5m from the finish line. The legs were heavy with the plodding, the heart wasn't beating strong and the sweat was mildly encasing my brow. I pushed on......at each step, my head was shouting STFD......nearly there........I could see the finish goal post ahead......230 meters...........I slowed.......walkers were now overtaking me, YES i cried..........stopping to pat the dog, the watch was on Auto pause....yes........must keep going......the legs moved one step at a time.

Then there it was - I was done - that last 0.5m done in 8:29 pace.

Overall 4.5m at 8:27 pace - not quite a PB - If I look back at my logs, there were some runs in 2011 that were done in a 'better' time - 9:00's and such like that.

Overall a good experience - I missed my target, but as Rhianna sings "I found love in a speedless pace" - I'll be back to conquer more recovery runs and capture that elusive 'Post 8:30'.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Love it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Recovery Run Report

Wednesday 1st May

Context:
    It had been a while since I had done a proper 'Recovery Run' and I had some feedback that I was going too fast in these things.
    Generally I dislike recovery runs - I find them too difficult to keep the pace consistent.
    Some of the more experienced guys on here seem to manage to hold that pace well enough.

just by chance there was a 'Recovery Run' going on in my local park today. I though here was the chance to go 'Post 8:30'.

Prep:
    I knew the pace would be difficult to hold, so I threw on a base layer and used a heavy pair of Mizuno's in order to help with the pacing.
    Plenty of water before hand along with a Banana sandwich would keep me fueled.
    I arrived in good time, looked around for 2 seconds for some Boardsies, no one there, I guess this wasn't on their radar.
    Plenty of dogs & walkers abound - so there'd be some pacemakers for me. In thinking this, I realized I had no pace band, so the Garmin would have to do.

The Recovery Run

I set off at a good pace (8:40) - the legs shuffling along, my 4 legged companion shot off ahead of me in anticipation of what lay ahead.
    By the mid point of mile 1, the pace got tough and I slipped to an 8:20 - still overall pace was on target.
    Mile 1 finished off at 8:27. Off my pace.

Mile 2 was similar - I changed tactic during this by going off course in order to slow me down and ran on Grass. Mile 2 came and went at 8:29.

As I approached the start of Mile 3, I wiped the non existent sweat from my forehead, despite the pace, I was lapping the walkers.
    Then it happened. I knew I'd suffer as a result.

A pretty girl ran past me. NOOoooooo! - I was going so well, my pace was consistent. I had a choice to make.

I chose keeping the pace - I did speed up slightly for about 2-3 mins - then I watched her disappear into the distance. All for the greater cause.
    Mile 3 was a disaster as a result: 8:14

I vowed to keep mile 4 in my target timeframe. Again keeping it on grass, passing the walkers. I can do it. The lungs screamed at me to speed up, but I wouldn't do it.
    Mile 4 came around in 8:34.

I was 0.5m from the finish line. The legs were heavy with the plodding, the heart wasn't beating strong and the sweat was mildly encasing my brow. I pushed on......at each step, my head was shouting STFD......nearly there........I could see the finish goal post ahead......230 meters...........I slowed.......walkers were now overtaking me, YES i cried..........stopping to pat the dog, the watch was on Auto pause....yes........must keep going......the legs moved one step at a time.

Then there it was - I was done - that last 0.5m done in 8:29 pace.

Overall 4.5m at 8:27 pace - not quite a PB - If I look back at my logs, there were some runs in 2011 that were done in a 'better' time - 9:00's and such like that.

Overall a good experience - I missed my target, but as Rhianna sings "I found love in a speedless pace" - I'll be back to conquer more recovery runs and capture that elusive 'Post 8:30'.

:-)

How to make a recovery run sound interesting :), excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha, very funny!!
    I think it is very personal. I do recovery runs at around 9 min/mile and easy runs at 8:20-8:30, if you asked me to go out and run without thinking I would do the pace you did today without even concentrating on going slow.

This is where a HRM I think can be very useful. You can decide a HR zone for recovery runs and spend the first few runs keeping in that HR zone. After a few of the runs it becomes second nature.
    All that said you probably only need to do a recovery run if the legs are telling you so.....You are doing lower mileage than a few of us so you might not actually 'need' any recovery runs....

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    You are doing lower mileage than a few of us so you might not actually 'need' any recovery runs....

Cheers - that thought did cross my mind. Legs generally don't feel fatigued.

As I get more into the HM plan and the LSR increase, the recovery runs will be important.

Context:
    I've only done 2 10ks in my life, the 2nd one was the BHAA KClub race where I stopped for a while and plodded to the finish.
    My times suggest I can do a 38:50 10k, so my aim today was initially to banish the demons from the KClub and give it a good bash to break 40 minutes.

Pre-Race:
    Found parking easy enough in Clontarf, with over 1 hour to spare and jogged up to get my race number.
    For a moment I thought that I'd stumbled into the ticket sales area for a One Direction concert as the queue was amazingly long. 35 mins later I was told my race number and told to join another Q to actually get my race number!!

Finally got my race number and went to the loo - another bloody long Q.

Went to get my goodie bag and T-Shirt, another Q, only to be told that there were no T-Shirts left. At this stage I was beginning to boil over!

Following that I went to the bag drop area, guess what, a huge Q for the bag drop area - time was against me and I didn't have a warm up yet with 10-15 mins to the start. I jogged back to the car and left my bag there and went to the start line.
    If this had been a big massive race with '000s of entries, I'd understand, but there were only a few hundred running. I think with a very small bit of organisation, it would have been better for everyone - everything seemed to be congested to one small area - I don't blame the people working there, but someone organised it in an ar$e about face fashion.

Deep Breaths......

Race
    I had seen the start of the 5k and it was very congested, so I'd need to get near the top of the start line to avoid the weaving in and out.
    As I was in the pen (near the top!) I spotted MisterDrak making a cheeky side entrance.
    Off went the gun and off we went - the wind was with us for the 1st 5k - didn't seem that forceful at this stage.
    I introduced myself to Drak and we had a chat for the 1st few K.
    We were chatting about strategy, would it be better to hold the pace back or better to bank some time in anticipation for the beach section of the race?
    For me, my strategy was to run 6:20ish all the way through.

Mile 1 was very comfortable - but very quick - maybe the wind was a factor after all. Despite my efforts to slow down, mile 1 was 5:55. So much for 6:20.

Really tried to slow it down on mile 2, the legs felt good, the breathing was controlled. At this stage I was in 12th place, with a group of 4 ahead and I was in another group of 4.
    Mile 2 was 6:12 - happier with the pace.

The 3rd mile was again fine and controlled, this is where the wheels came off for me at the KClub, but I felt good & strong now.
    Drak was slightly ahead of me, that was ok - still in 12th place.
    Mile 3 was 6:20 - bang on target and I hit 5k in 19:07

We were now off the Clontarf road and heading for Bull Island, the groupings were still the same. As we came onto the beach, the sand was soft for a few meters and there was an additional change in the course layout that threw me.
    Mile 4 was 6:23 - slightly slow - but still felt strong.
    We turned the corner to go back down Bull Island and Holy Mother Of God, I think someone had turned on the largest electric fans in the world - it was like running in a wind turbine.
    I pushed hard, but it felt like we were hardly moving, I was putting in possibly twice as much effort now but getting nothing in return.
    I noticed the pace on the watch slip to 6:30 - 6:40 - 6:50 - finished that mile at 7:05 :eek:!
    At this stage I knew sub 40 wasn't going to happen, there was still a KM or so on the beach before we turned onto the bridge.
    Kept plugging away on the beach, was trying not to look at the watch, but at one stage I was running at 7:30 pace.
    The groupings were getting fragmented at this stage as the wind was taking its toll.
    We turned onto the bridge and any anticipated relief I thought I might get was gone - the wind was a strong as ever even though we were going in a different direction. Damn cross winds!
    I tried to pass Drak on the bridge - thinking I could get close to 40mins, but I had nothing left. Drak came back at me and breezed by. I swear I could hear him smirk :pac:

Mile 6 was a very difficult 7:18 - In all my race planning this week, I had not anticipated a wind that strong.

Approached the line and just as I was crossing it, the time counter was blown down - nearly killed me (ok, I exaggerate).

2nd 5k was 21:40 :(

Finished in 40:53 - official time.

Thought I'd be disappointed, but was actually happy with the overall run, the KClub demons were wiped and I had a new PB.

Met MisterDrak at the end and we had a chat with the guys in 1st and 2nd. Guy who won it done it in 36:29 with 2nd place in 39:20 - so not many went sub 40. (edit: only 5 went sub 40)
    Jogged back to the car with MisterDrak - 2m warm down.
    On a different course, that 40:53 would have been 39:53 or even 38:53.

Happy with the time. a PB is a PB is a PB, all day long.
    And even happy as I think I finished in top 12 (tbc). (edit: finished 9th :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running RK. I do a lot of running along that stretch and the cross winds can be a real bitch. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

RK,

Great to finally meet my equal in all things running , PB's, paceing, logname, park run times, 1000 miles challange...

We did have a good "ding dong battle" for most of the race, and I dont think I would have run as well without you on my tail for all of it.

Great race report also, i better sharpen my pencil and get scribing...

PS, the wind was much worse than you mention in the report :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

looks like the company behind that race are a pure commercial enterprise, so they must have spent as little as possible on the day with regards to staff and such like. These lads will probably go on my avoid list.

As for the race, fair play! sub 40 is a formality.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    RK,

Great to finally meet my equal in all things running , PB's, paceing, logname, park run times, 1000 miles challange...

We did have a good "ding dong battle" for most of the race, and I dont think I would have run as well without you on my tail for all of it.

Great race report also, i better sharpen my pencil and get scribing...

PS, the wind was much worse than you mention in the report :)

I see we both came 1st in our age category! Something else in common.
    Let me know when you're doing a 5k again......I smell a smack down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done RK - that's the Kclub well and truly out off your system - nice PB too. Sub 40 is your the next time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Age category win AND a PB:D Congrats! I hope you're enjoying a few well deserved beers

statss wrote: »
    looks like the company behind that race are a pure commercial enterprise, so they must have spent as little as possible on the day with regards to staff and such like. These lads will probably go on my avoid list.

As for the race, fair play! sub 40 is a formality.

Not 100% sure who's behind the race, but I know they are doing a few of them soon. They're also donating ~€20k to Barnardos which is not a bad thing.

They'll be doing the Lucan 5k next week, interesting to see how that goes.

In fairness to them, they had a lot of staff and 'worker bees' on the day, just all congregated to 1 spot with no signage, which meant a lot of congestion and frustration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Well done rk. Great report too. Did the gir last month and the winds in the second half were very strong there too so know the feeling. At least it's quite sheltered in the park though. Sounds like you guys had a lot more to contend with

Advertisement