Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Sunday 5th May

Finished off the week with a nice 'real' recovery run in pleasant sunshine in Ph Park. 5.88m @ 8.41 pace!! (29.4m for the week)

Monday 6th May
    Start of the HM plan - Another recovery run - starting to like these! Very hot day and the dog was struggling - was a start/stop effort 6:35m @ 8.22

Tuesday 7th May
    No dog with me this evening. Parked in Donore as the little one was training there and went off. Aim was to do 10 steady and include 4 at tempo pace (6:35).
    Splits:
    7:54 Warm up
    7:17
    7:01

4x Tempo were
    6:40 (inc Military Hill)
    6:23
    6:52 (upper Glen Road)

Cool Down
    7:32
    8:00
    8:16 (last 0.47)

Overall 9:47m @ 7:10 pace (1 hr 8mins)

Run felt strong - could have went for ages, but had to pick up the ickle 'un.
    Liked wearing the Lunar Eclipse on this run - very comfortable.

Currently going between New Balance (110 miles) / Lunar Eclipse (130 miles) / Mizuno's (550 miles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Well done on getting a pb at the weekend, sounds like conditions were tough.

The wind is the main factor putting me off doing the Clontarf half in July

EMPM wrote: »
    Well done on getting a pb at the weekend, sounds like conditions were tough.

The wind is the main factor putting me off doing the Clontarf half in July

yeah, in the same boat - its a shame really as its a nice scenic route.
    I done the half there last year and it was great conditions - little wind and sunshine (maybe too warm!). I know previous years were windswept.

There is a little nagging noise in my own head giving out to me that if I only race on 'ideal' flat courses with a lower chance of being exposed to wind, then I'm not much of a runner :eek:

Maybe its a case of choosing goal races very carefully, but using these as good tune ups.

Wednesday 8th: Rest day - finally got started on the 2nd MBA project.

Thursday 9th: Football. 1 hour of lunatic running.
    Tried a different pair of footie runners, but no joy - PF/heel was sore on Friday - maybe I'll just wear the cushioned asics in future.

Friday 10th: 5.08m @ 8:06 nice 'n easy run.

Sat 11th: 8.25m @ 8.22 pace:
    Wasn't feeling the love on Saturday.
    The intention was to do 12m easy, but I felt like a sack of spuds all the way through it.
    The heavens opened a few times and the wind was blowing a gale in Phoenix Park - actually gave me a headache while running.
    Called it a day just after 8 miles, no point in getting the mojo out of whack when its been so good lately.

Sunday 12th
    Watched Spurs overtake Arsenal to set up a deadline day spectacular!

Had planned a rest day, but due to Sat's shorter run, I felt fine, so decided to do an off plan speed session.

Decided on 15x200's as I haven't done 200's since Sept last year and felt that shorter speedwork would complement the longer reps/tempos that I'm currently doing.
    The results at the end were surprising (to me anyway).

the 1st 4 reps were at 36 secs (ave)
    The next 5 were at 34 secs (ave)
    Last 6 reps were at 32 secs (ave

Given that Daniels suggests that these are done at 40 secs for my vdot (didn't know that beforehand) - I dont think I could have ran them at 40 secs. My pace was pretty much all out, and was delighted that the last 6 reps were faster that the 1st 9. - But I'm not doing a Daniels plan so its all good :)

In a dilema for next weeks racing plan.
    Do the 5m in Terenure on Sunday or the 5km in Enfield on Tues? Maybe try them both?

The littleest child has an Irish Dancing Fheis on Sunday, they go on & on for hours - so that is making me favour the Terenure race :)

33.4m for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Impressive splits for the 200's especially the last set, we could make a middle distance runner out of you yet!

• Advertisement

Monday 13th
    My U13 GAA team put in a torrid display against Ballyboden, so I went off on a 'displeased' run to clear the head - didn't find any answers!
    5.2m @8.20 pace

Tuesday 14th
    The session was 4x1m - I was pondering what pace to do these at - so with 1 eye on the weekends 5m race, I chose 10k pace with ample 800m recovery.
    So, what is my 10k pace, as I've not done a decent 10k in "loike, EVVVER" - I reckon 6.10 is a good number based on my 5ks.
    Jogged 1 mile down to the 15 Acres in Phoenix Park - a great place for these sessions. The dog even ignores the deer at this stage.

Rep 1: 5:55 - yep - so much for 6:10. wrecked at the end of it - 1st rep always kills me - pace like a yoyo.
    Rep 2: 6:12 - Better controlled - started off slower, slightly behind the pace and caught it up. "Doggy on the road" issues slowed me down.
    Rep 3: 6:02 - Fast, but felt very controlled. Unlike the previous 2 reps, I held the same pace all the way around.
    Rep 4: 6:05 - Similar to rep 3 - very controlled from start to finish.

The 800m recovery was too long, but I'm happy with the control on 3 of the reps, even if they were a tad on the quick side.

In future sessions, (out of race week), I'll do a shorter recovery.

In work, theres this "health & Wellness" campaign going on, they given us pedometers - so its 11252 steps recorded.

Overall 8:32miles (1hr 07mins)

Also signed up for Terenure 5 mile - current PB is 32:24 from Raheny in Jan - so I want to do some damage to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Monday 13th
    My U13 GAA team put in a torrid display against Ballyboden, so I went off on a 'displeased' run to clear the head - didn't find any answers!
    5.2m @8.20 pace

Tuesday 14th
    The session was 4x1m - I was pondering what pace to do these at - so with 1 eye on the weekends 5m race, I chose 10k pace with ample 800m recovery.
    So, what is my 10k pace, as I've not done a decent 10k in "loike, EVVVER" - I reckon 6.10 is a good number based on my 5ks.
    Jogged 1 mile down to the 15 Acres in Phoenix Park - a great place for these sessions. The dog even ignores the deer at this stage.

Rep 1: 5:55 - yep - so much for 6:10. wrecked at the end of it - 1st rep always kills me - pace like a yoyo.
    Rep 2: 6:12 - Better controlled - started off slower, slightly behind the pace and caught it up. "Doggy on the road" issues slowed me down.
    Rep 3: 6:02 - Fast, but felt very controlled. Unlike the previous 2 reps, I held the same pace all the way around.
    Rep 4: 6:05 - Similar to rep 3 - very controlled from start to finish.

The 800m recovery was too long, but I'm happy with the control on 3 of the reps, even if they were a tad on the quick side.

In future sessions, (out of race week), I'll do a shorter recovery.

In work, theres this "health & Wellness" campaign going on, they given us pedometers - so its 11252 steps recorded.

Overall 8:32miles (1hr 07mins)

Also signed up for Terenure 5 mile - current PB is 32:24 from Raheny in Jan - so I want to do some damage to that.

That's an impressive session RK :eek: and impressive splits

Tom Joad wrote: »
    That's an impressive session RK :eek: and impressive splits

The 800 recoveries done the trick, it was comfortable enough.

Sundays 15x200 was tougher as its an all out sprint with only 100m recovery. I wanted to stop after 6 reps on Sunday, whereas I could've done 2 more 1m reps today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Some pacey running there RK...

5:55 for a mile in a session is impressive.

Strangely (or maybe not that strange at all, I did 8.42 miles (.1more???) in my tempo last night)...

Are you doing the BHAA 5M in Dunboyne in 28th May ???

Wasn't on the agenda, but it sure might be now. I need to also find a good 10k soon.

• Advertisement

Try the :-

The 34th Michael Manning Memorial 10k Road Race (Dunsaughlin) - will take place on June 22nd 2013.

I did it last year , its a good fast race with plenty of good standard club runners...

Strawberries and cream at the finish line :):):)

Wed 15th

Plan was for 10 miles easy - I had planned this and last nights session in reverse order originally, but changed them around thinking of what would leave me fresher for Sundays 5m.
    I had taken delivery of 3 new running tops today from Sportsdirect.com - a short sleeved top, singlet, & a long sleeved top (for the summer) complete with pocket in the sleeve and thumb holes in the arms. Everything cost me €24 inc shipping. Why would anyone buy from sports shops??

Set out and immediately knew this was going to be a 'Hard' easy run :)
    Decided not to look at the watch and just go with the flow.

Due to last nights session, I felt a bit tired and even light headed - hadn't eaten too well due to back to back meetings in work.

As I was running I was contemplating an excercise I done last night, where I mapped out my 'races' for the coming year and tried to plan quality training around them, focusing on the HM til July then DCM. Its a difficult task to get right, if you have a key goal for the marathon, maybe doing the race series and a few other races is a bad idea?
    I thought about what I wanted from running, and I must say, I'm enjoying the shorter stuff right now and would love to race most weeks if I could, but does training get in the way of races or do races get in the way of training?? I think its an ecumenical matter.

Anyway - finished my run 9.75 miles @7:48 average pace. I thought about running around in a circle for 0.25m but decided against it......

Seen a guy doing some hill reps on Military hill, had a quick chat with him - From the stop sign at the bottom to the bollard near the top is 400m. He was doing 7 reps. Must pencil that one into the regime for my next set of 400's.

Other news: I had planned 2 races in June. A 10k on 22nd June and a 5m (race series) on 29th June. Looks like I'll have to go to Singapore that week.
    Rather than being happy at going to Singapore (love that place) and looking to make the most of a week there, I was thinking about how I can race on the Saturday, travel on the Sunday, do the meetings in 2 days and get back for Thursday morning, fresh for the 5m..............
    Obsessive is me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You need help ....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wed 15th
    As I was running I was contemplating an excercise I done last night, where I mapped out my 'races' for the coming year and tried to plan quality training around them, focusing on the HM til July then DCM. Its a difficult task to get right, if you have a key goal for the marathon, maybe doing the race series and a few other races is a bad idea?
    I thought about what I wanted from running, and I must say, I'm enjoying the shorter stuff right now and would love to race most weeks if I could, but does training get in the way of races or do races get in the way of training?? I think its an ecumenical matter.

A great post RK. particularly the comment highlighted above. As you said before the main thing..... and to an extent if you leave it go that far, races do get in the way of training and it's hard to stop the rot as the racing conditions can get addictive.

I know myself that I'll be arsing around for the next 2 weeks but then no more racing until I have a solid block of 10km work done. Whats the Race Series 5miler like? Course is not great I heard.....

Other news: I had planned 2 races in June. A 10k on 22nd June and a 5m (race series) on 29th June. Looks like I'll have to go to Singapore that week.
    Rather than being happy at going to Singapore (love that place) and looking to make the most of a week there, I was thinking about how I can race on the Saturday, travel on the Sunday, do the meetings in 2 days and get back for Thursday morning, fresh for the 5m..............
    Obsessive is me!

Love Singapore myself, ever go to Changi village and Ubin Island? Definitely work the trip if you have a spare day. Sentosa aint to bad either but I can't get over the bloody port! Love the hawker stalls and food halls too. Great place.

In terms of the racing, forget it that week. Did you not have a similar thing back in May that didn't work out too well for ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

+1 to what blockic said - you'd be nuts to try a race after Singapore!! It's a long flight and no place on earth can sap the energy from you like Singapore - it will probably be close to 100% humidity there - add a flight into the mix and you are asking for trouble..

Look at me being sensible on other people's logs - if only I could follow sensible advice myself :rolleyes:

Meetings in Singapore, nice...

I only get as far as London for my business meetings !!!

Thursday: Rest Day (no footie)

Friday: 4.75 easy run @8:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thursday: Rest Day (no footie)

Friday: 4.75 easy run @8:00.

and Sunday, Terenure 5 mile??!

Sunday 19th: Maynooth 10k

Build up
    Even though I had entered the Sportsworld 5 Miler in Terenure, I only found out about this 10k on Wednesday.
    Decided to throw my oar in as the 10k and me have some unfinished business.

Saturday seen me at a few GAA games and some shopping - the body was exaggerating this workload into telling me I was physically exhausted! Took it handy Sat night, didn't get a great nights sleep though.

Woke up on Sunday morning and still was undecided if I should do the 10k (& get another fail) or do the safer 5 miler where I had a softer PB. Even asking myself that question, the little voice in my head asked me "Are you scared of the 10k........are you too afraid to fail?" - the 10k it was.

Drove the shortish distance to check in - parking was fine, check in took about 10 seconds. Nicely organised and signposted.

Was on the startline very early, done a lap of the University (where the race was starting) and realised that I'd need to go out faster than planned in order to avoid the congestion.
    Lined up, a bit perplexed that I knew nobody in this race - all the boardsies must be doing the 5 miler or the 'softer' 5k on Tuesday :D

Set off on the 1st mile - was like charge of the light brigade for the 1st 500-800m as all the 'runners' had similar ideas.
    A small bit of course management went awry as the first 30-40 through a certain section had to jump over a barrier!! - that was rectified for the rest.

running through Maynooth university was lovely, nice grounds and was a bit unique.
    Mile 1 was 5:59 - congestion avoided and 25 secs banked.

Went out of the grounds and the plan was to run even splits of 6:20 all the way. Getting the Sub 40 was the goal here.

Mile 2 brought us out into the village and onto the road to Leixlip - crowds were fantastic and really gave a lift. Went through mile 2 in 6:11 (more time banked)

At this stage the runners were opening up and it was a long straight road ahead - a group I was with were getting a bit ahead of me, but let them go I said. the game is not to race them, but race the clock.

I was expecting to enter into Carton house at the 3 mile stage, but that wasn't happening - maybe last nights rain had taken a bit of a toll on the ground - running on grass was not appealing to me anyway - so delighted with that.
    Went through mile 3 in 6:19 and was 19:05 for 5k (same as Clontarf recently).

Pace was dropping slightly, but still on target, so that was ok. When we came to the turn to run back, the marshall was a very old friend of mine who I hadn't seen in years - we shared a 'shout'!. Really gave me a lift and that made the race worthwhile - whatever happend later.
    Mile 4 was 6:22 and I really felt I could do it.

I was keeping an eye on the KM markers and using that to check my 'bank balance' should the wheels come off. I found it very effective to help deal with the demons when the arrived. Taking it km by km - only 4 mins to the next km (but doing it in under 4 min= increased bank balance).

At about the 4.5m mark, we came into Carton house, really nice to see it, have played it a few times and was happy was there were no golfers of my calibre playing today!!
    Got a bit of a lift and felt a bit stronger here - not sure why, maybe slightly downhill or maybe it was the knowledge that it was so near that it gave me a lift. (it wouldn't last long). Mile 5 was 6:15

This is where things got tough for me - the last mile - despite being very close to hitting my sub 40 goal, I was running towards a tee box and there were golfers on it waiting to tee off, the thought did cross my mind to stop and let them tee off - it was tough and the sun was breaking through.

Just a few more mins left.
    As I approached the 9km marker, I adjusted my watch settings and realised that if I pushed, I could make Sub 39 :eek:
    Really pushed on - the runners were coming back to me even though my total mile 6 was 6:19, I reckon the last bit of mile 6 was a lot faster than that.

We came onto Carton Avenue just after the 9km mark - a very long stretch - you could just about make out the finish line in the distance.
    I was overtaking people now and the group who had left me earlier were in my sights. I overtook 1 guy from Leixlip running club, and was bearing down on a crusaders guy, at this stage, my lungs were burning, my legs were hurting.
    I remembered to watch my form - take short strides, run tall, lean slightly fwd.
    The final 0.2m was in 5:52 pace. (2nd 5k was 19:30)

10k in 38:47 (Watch time) :D:D:D

Thats a PB by over 2 minutes.

Immediately after the race I wanted to do a Krusty (vomit), but retched a few times. Actually was delighted with that as it showed me that I pushed myself. Nearly felt like a real runner - just didn't deliver the goods - next time I'll try to leave my mark :P

Delighted with the race - given my tiredness the previous day - I never thought I'd do that time.
    Had a free massage immediately after the race and it worked wonders.

Came home and brought the dog out for a 4.5m recovery run (8:32 pace)

............Did I mention I went sub 39??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Excellent stuff. Well done you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Super race, justice at last. Are you sure it wasn't short? :pac:;)

That is some time, I think I will be removing that age handicap we have a deal on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Woo hoo! Sub 39:D:D:D
    Well done A, I'm delighted for you. A fantastic result.
    It's actually very fashionable to retch but not actually vomit at the Finish Line so you are definitely a real runner;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Nicely, that last bit through Carton and the Avenue is tough. Slight uphill and wind in your face usually. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done RK, that's a cracking result. I had considered going down to hit that race myself as I have relations down there but "sensible Patrick" took over and talked me out of it, telling me an LSR would be more beneficial. Sounds like a great course, must keep it in mind for next year. Sub 38 before the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Well done, 40 mins well and truely spanked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Fair play RK that's an impressive way to go sub 40 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Excellent result RK, awesome running! Did you see your chip time was 38:39?!

Excellent result RK, awesome running! Did you see your chip time was 38:39?!

Thanks - delighted!

Just seen that now - but can't claim it.

I started 2 rows back, no way there was 9 secs delay - maybe 1-2 at the most.
    Must be a mistake. I'll take Gun Time and be happy with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ha - I was driving close to Maynooth this morning and I seen a sign for the race, I turned to the OH and said I do have my gear in the back, it would be a shame not to!
    Well if a look could turn you to stone.......lets say I didn't pursue that opportunity.

Great running - what's the next target or is it summer fun until DCM training kicks in?

• Advertisement

Cheers BB. Wise decision I'd say!

5 mile next week- BHAA in Dunboyne - sub 31 is the target.
    Then it's Half Marathon training - I've a soft PB of 1:34, so want to get close to 1:25.
    Might have a crack at a few park runs over the summer!

Advertisement