Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thursday:
    Football - got kicked in the calf........twice - after the 2nd one, the red mist descended - revenge was sweet.

Despite me wearing the asics, the heel was in a jocker on Friday morning. Plenty of ice and massage with a little ball (fnar fnar).
    I need to make a decision on the footie soon, although if the foot keeps on giving me issues after the footie, then the decision will be made for me.
    I have no bother with it when I run.

You know lads retire from the oul footie in thier mid thirties right? :p

Sunday - rest day. My U13's got beaten again - cant wait for the season to end - there's only so many 'beaten' motivational end of match team talks I can give :)

Buck stops with the management. Sack em! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Whos the choice on the new Toffees manager?? You are a blue aren't you Mr King?

tang1 wrote: »
    Whos the choice on the new Toffees manager?? You are a blue aren't you Mr King?

Nah he is affiliated to a second tier North London team. :pac: Gavlor is the Everton man.

Apolgies, thought you were a Toffee. Christ RK is older than the manager of the team he supports so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Enough about a handicap race.
    Lets arranges a boards 5-aside tournament, would love to teach these young bucks some things.

Seriously thinking of changing my boards name to 'Auld man King', at least the initials would match!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sunday - rest day. My U13's got beaten again - cant wait for the season to end - there's only so many 'beaten' motivational end of match team talks I can give :)

Tell them the story about the loser that tried to run a really fast marathon but collapsed just before the finish line and didn't even get a medal.... But this loser didnt quit, he just picked up the pieces, kept running and will try and try until he eventually hits the target :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    Tell them the story about the loser that tried to run a really fast marathon but collapsed just before the finish line and didn't even get a medal.... But this loser didnt quit, he just picked up the pieces, kept running and will try and try until he eventually hits the target :D

Langer! :D

They'd never believe that one, they're a bit old for fairy tales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

GIVE

UP

THE

FOOTBALL!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Thursday:
    & racing in Dunboyne on Tuesday........hhhhmmmm

See you there!

• Advertisement

Monday 27th: 4.95m with strides @7:50 pace.

Tuesday 28th: BHAA 5 Mile Road Race in Dunboyne Watch time: 30:28

This race was going to be interesting as I had never ran an evening race before.
    Being used to playing football later in the evening I just ate & drank as I would before the footie.

The plan was to try to break 31mins - 6:12 miles. My PB stood at 32:24 from Raheny in Jan.

Arrived at Dunboyne AC about 7 - 1 hour to spare. Got registered with not much pain - Interestingly there seemed to be 2 Alan Kings in the race - I've noticed this guy in Park Run results before (always slower than me :) ).

Met the glamour couple and had a quick chat before going out to warm up - I think there was a table set out for them to sign autographs :)

Done a decent warm up - and headed to the start line. I remembered that BHAA races dont have starting mats, so tried to get as far up as I could. I was about 4-5 rows back.
    I had noticed a Raheny Shamrocks guy warming up, this guy has beaten me by a few secs in about 4-5 park runs. I was watching out for him. Also said a quick hello to DrQuirky on the start line.

Off we went, the 'tight' 1st bend was ok - seen 5:45 on the watch so held it back a bit. Settled in behind CL for the 1st mile or so - then decided to move on in case Digger thought I was leering :)
    Mile 1 was 5:59 and I felt comfortable.
    At about 1.5 miles, I came upto Raheny Shamrocks guy - he was breathing heavy, so knew I had him, passed him by and never seen him again!
    Mile 2 was 5:59 as well - at this stage I was worried about blowing up, so wanted to dial the pace back. Part of me wanted to push on and see how I got on - I was thinking of TRR's advice to leave the watch and just race - but sense prevailed and I dialed it back a bit.
    As we approached Mile 3, I was getting a bit isolated. The footsteps behind me had gone and there was a gap ahead, not good.
    Mile 3 was 6:07.
    I went through 3.1m on my watch in 18:44 - 5 seconds outsie my 5k PB - made a mental note to do a 5k race soon.

At this stage I seemed to be racing on my own -I was starting to see the group ahead come back to me, so that was good. At this stage, no one had passed me since the start.
    Keep on pushing I was saying - at one stage I looked at my watch to see a 6:28, so dialed it back up - Mile 4 was 6:14.

Now we were in the business end of things - 1mile to go - 6 mins of pain - push it on I was saying.
    I was catching the group ahead and went by about 5 of them, at this stage we could hear the loudspeaker from the Track, so the motivation was getting higher.
    I was picking off people now, but also conscious that people who I passed were just behind me, waiting to pounce.
    I was eagerly looking for the turn onto the track, at least then it would nearly be over!

I concentrated on my form, shortened the stride, straightened the back and made sure my hands were relaxed. We approached the turn and headed to the track (concrete), At this stage 300m to go - 2 club runners passed me, part of my brain was saying let them go - you have your PB, another part kicked n and I sprinted on the last bent, taking the 2 of them, no idea where that burst came from, but delighted I could call on it.
    Took the line in 30:28 (watch time) with mile 5 being 6:01 (was delighted with the last mile being so fast).

Thats nearly a 2 minute PB on Raheny in Jan.

As soon as I stopped I retched a few times again, but held everything in. Retching must be the in thing now.
    Delighted with the time.

Met up with DrQuirky, CL & Digger,TRR after the race - had a nice warm down with them then off to stuff my face full of cake! Nice to meet Aimann(sp?)there as well. Everyone seemed to have a great race.

I can testify that TRR had half of one Digestive. There was no chocolate on it.

Great race, well organised, flat course - nice spread afterwards - great to meet fellow Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I went through 3.1m on my watch in 18:44 - 5 seconds outsie my 5k PB - made a mental note to do a 5k race soon.

As cool as a cucumber! Class running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good stuff A. Impressive running. It's a nice course that one. Pity I couldn't make it down myself but happy with my decision. I assume that was John F from Raheny?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good stuff A. Impressive running. It's a nice course that one. Pity I couldn't make it down myself but happy with my decision. I assume that was John F from Raheny?

yep - my Nemsis is no more!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Greetings from my jacks. You'll be delighted to hear I've passed that digestive via two separate orifices ;) Great run tonight. Raheny is a decent course so to knock 2 minutes off that is good trucking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super running RK. The finishing sprint was class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great stuff RK. Now you have a faster 5mile than me....must get back soon:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

You're on fire at the minute RK - another fantastic performance - Well done!

Cracking race and time RK, there is life in the old dog yet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice run there RK, you were way ahead of me, but I can still use the excuse of the Half in the legs.

Was closing in on John F towards the end also, but started way to far back in the pack to get ahead of him.

• Advertisement

Great running RK. 2 mins improvement in few short months is serious improvement.

Wednesday 29th: 4.65m @ 8:11 - nice and easy. Legs felt fine following Tuesdays race.

Thursday 30th: Decided not to play football & Had a 10m run planned. Got the call about 2pm that they were down a couple of players. So went out and played that evening. Last 5 minutes of the game - jumped to head the ball and felt my neck muscles go.
    Disaster of a nights sleep and very sore neck today - but getting better as the day goes on thanks to my new friend ibuprofen.

Only had an easy 4-5miler planned today, so will give that a miss.

Am planning a 15m run over the weekend, so hopefully the neck gets better.

* Decided to reduce my football activities in the coming months - will move from being a paid up member playing every week, to being someone called on every now & then when the 'paid up' players aren't available. - Come mid August, I'll stop playing completely til November.

My focus for May & corresponding performance:

* Nail a sub 40 10k. :DMaynooth - 38:47
    * Finally begin HM training plan on 6th May. :D
    * 150 miles :o 142miles - Missed 10m this week to play football.
    * Longest run of 16 miles :mad: Still on 13m (15m due this weekend).
    * Do at least 1 5k (Tues 21st) :confused: Decided to do a 5m instead (30:30)
    * Finish my 2nd Paper for MBA due 1st June :DFinished Wed 29th!

Focus for June is as follows:
    1. 3 runs of 14-16m
    2. 3 Sessions & 1 Beer Mile:D
    3. Total of 150 miles
    4. New 5k PB
    5. Run Irish Runner 5m on 29th as Tempo run (Dont race it)
    6. Start next MBA Module to get ahead!!
    7. Travel to Singapore with work (just threw that in to show off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wednesday 29th: 4.65m @ 8:11 - nice and easy. Legs felt fine following Tuesdays race.

Thursday 30th: Decided not to play football & Had a 10m run planned. Got the call about 2pm that they were down a couple of players. So went out and played that evening. Last 5 minutes of the game - jumped to head the ball and felt my neck muscles go.
    Disaster of a nights sleep and very sore neck today - but getting better as the day goes on thanks to my new friend ibuprofen.

Only had an easy 4-5miler planned today, so will give that a miss.

Am planning a 15m run over the weekend, so hopefully the neck gets better.

* Decided to reduce my football activities in the coming months - will move from being a paid up member playing every week, to being someone called on every now & then when the 'paid up' players aren't available. - Come mid August, I'll stop playing completely til November.

Yeah- other sports can really mess you up when the milage starts to pile up. I play a bit of baseball on the side and find that I always end up with mystery injuries at the end of games. I think the stop start motion isn't something I'm trained for right now lol- also i find the boots really f me up don't really know why that is though lol...

Excellent month RK... re: the Irish Runner 5m- not sure how you are at this but I know I am almost incapable of running a race as a tempo run so if I try I fail- I simply can't do it- I just find it too tough to scale back the effort with all the other people around etc etc... anyways good luck.

drquirky wrote: »
    . re: the Irish Runner 5m- not sure how you are at this but I know I am almost incapable of running a race as a tempo run so if I try I fail- I simply can't do it- I just find it too tough to scale back the effort with all the other people around .

Its more of a case that I'll be just back from Singapore on the Thursday night, so not going to put pressure on myself to race it full on (but I'll give it what I have!) - but I've already paid for it, so either way I'm gonna get the tee-shirt!!

Good decision. Looks to be more of a nuisance rather than a benefit at the moment. Sure it's a winter sport anyway.

Football is for youngsters, marathons are for life! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

blockic wrote: »
    Good decision. Looks to be more of a nuisance rather than a benefit at the moment. Sure it's a winter sport anyway.

Football is for youngsters, marathons are for life! ;)
    +1 to this even though I could never see myself doing a marathon.....marathons are for aul one's....oh wait....;)

Sunday 2nd:

Plan was 15 miles.
    Went out with the dog for the 1st 7.3 miles - done our normal loop in the Ph Park - ave pace 7.42.

Brought the dog home (5 min drive) and went out again myself.

Next 8.12m done at 7.15 - delighted with this to keep the 2nd half faster than 1st half - 1st 4m (of this 8m is downhill / 2nd 4m uphill) - not quite a tempo, but delighted to get a decent 15m in the legs. Longest run since DCM.
    No Gels, just a swig of Iso drink while bringing the dog home after 7.3.

Total 15.42 @ 7.27

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sunday 2nd:

Plan was 15 miles.
    Went out with the dog for the 1st 7.3 miles - done our normal loop in the Ph Park - ave pace 7.42.

Brought the dog home (5 min drive) and went out again myself.

Next 8.12m done at 7.15 - delighted with this to keep the 2nd half faster than 1st half - 1st 4m (of this 8m is downhill / 2nd 4m uphill) - not quite a tempo, but delighted to get a decent 15m in the legs. Longest run since DCM.
    No Gels, just a swig of Iso drink while bringing the dog home after 7.3.

Total 15.42 @ 7.27

Nice pace

• Advertisement

Monday 3rd June: 4.03m @8.07 pace.

Nice easy run, came home soaked from the sweat it was so humid. Was thinking about the runners in Cork running in that!

Tuesday 4th June:

6x1m off 0.4m (total 10.74m)

This run was in the plan, but that was when my 15miler from the weekend was meant to be on Sat, but it got done on Sunday - so would 1 day be a good enough rest for this? We shall see. I thought about moving it to Thursday, but part of me wanted to see how my recovery process was.
    The watch was pre-programmed with a session that had 0.4m (about 650 meters) recoveries, I was going to shorten it, but given the heat and Sundays 15 miles - left it as it was.

Drove down to 15 Acres in Phoenix park - 1.7 mile loop, glorious evening for the session. Plenty out to keep me occupied for session ;)
    Done a 1.23m warm up and set off on the reps. Planned 10k pace for the reps (6:10)

Rep 1: 5.56
    Rep 2: 6:01
    Rep 3: 6:03
    Rep 4: 6:00
    Rep 5: 6:02
    Rep 6: 6:01

Happy with the session - delighted to hold the pace given the heat.
    The session felt like it was 'controlled discomfort' towards the end - but was feeling great during it.
    Wore the HRM as well - Max HR during the reps was 170 (ave HR was 162 for the reps). Each rep had identical HR - only increased by 1 bpm on the last rep.

Wore the Brooks ST5's for this to see how they'd be in a longer session - worked out great.

Between the WU, the reps, the recoveries and the CD: 10:74miles.

Came home with a mountain of flies and bugs on my face, t-shirt, legs....even my belly button :0

On another note - been monitoring my diet lately, I generally eat very healthy, but since I'm monitoring it, noticed not enough protein.
    As my miles increase, I'll need to monitor this.

Advertisement