Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

In fairness, I wasn't 100% happy with the run , had I of ran 18:10 then, yeah, great.
    Was more of an experiment today to see how I ran on tired legs, as a lot of people on here do.

Ah would you feck off! That's fantastic running especially on tired legs! and then to get in more miles later on more tired legs! Great work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

In reality, I just love the plaudits, didn't run at all today! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Impressive running well done, times really starting to fall.
    "The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing"

I love this quote, I'll be robbing it. Was talking with my training partner last night, discussing build up races and training for Dublin marathon and that one line summarises 20 minutes of bull*hit from both of us :)

Sunday 9th June:
    Took my 2 girls for a walk up Bray head - haven't done it in about 30 years!! - I had their heads filled with tales of my youth, climbing for hours up this huge mountain, with the final piece being a dangerous scaling of almost impenetrable rocks.

Such a let down!! - up and down in no time!
    - anyway - main reason why I put this part up was because at different times, there were some people in full running gear running up to the top. Got me thinking about some serious hill work.

Monday 10th June:
    AM - Done 30 mins of core work - including sets of Squats (4x10) & Lunges (4x8) amongst other things.
    PM - 4 mile recovery run (8:14 pace) - done a lot of stretching after 2 miles and again at the end.

Tuesday 11th June:
    Sweet Jesus, who was beating my legs with a hammer while I slept. Woke up with the legs in a jock - a few squats can cause severe damage! This happened to me before - so either I'm not warming up right or certain muscle groups are under developed.
    I must do more of them - only less - if that makes sense :)

Went out Tuesday PM for a few miles - decided to do a min of 2 miles and if the legs were sore, turn around, but if they loosened out, keep going around the Ph Park.
    Legs did indeed loosen out Ended up doing 9.84 @ 8:05 - threw in a 6:30 last 0.5m. (& came home like a drowned rat)

Wed 12th June

The plan was to do 2x3m @ HM pace (6:30). Main intention was to get some HM race pace miles in - as it was close to Threshold pace so it'd be near a 2x20min session.
    I drove down to Ph Park with the dog and parked at the Upper Glen Road - Its 1.12 miles from there to the 15 Acres - so a good warm up.
    As I got to the 15 acres, realised that the watch was set up wrong, so stood fiddling with it (the watch :) ) to get it right - in the P!$$ings of rain. Great start.

1st set: 6:30 / 6:25 / 6:29
    Recovery 0.4m Jog
    2nd set: 6:24 / 6:31 / 6:14

At the start of the 2nd set it felt tough, but managed to keep it together. Finished with a strong 3rd mile for the craic.

Whats interesting this year in my training is that when I'm doing reps of any sort, I don't wear earphones - its as if it disturbs concentration.
    I also find it easier to do the reps on somewhere like 15 Acres - flat, with a loop, no road stops etc.
    Last year I'd have done these reps as part of a normal road run, but it would have been punctuated by stops.
    I can recall asking KC why he done his reps on a cinder track - I kinda understand now (but still think a 400m track would drive me barmy).

I've had NO practice for the beer mile - think I'll have to wing it - might go searching for that Moosehead stuff that the 2 boys are advertising (they must be on commission).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

1st set: 6:30 / 6:25 / 6:29
    Recovery 0.4m Jog
    2nd set: 6:24 / 6:31 / 6:14

Great session, you're motoring very well at the moment.
    I've had NO practice for the beer mile - think I'll have to wing it - might go searching for that Moosehead stuff that the 2 boys are advertising (they must be on commission).

Poor session, I'm warning ya it's a lot harder than you'd think!! No way I'd handle 355ml....I'll be throwing up with 330s so its all the one to me!!

This beer mile is turning be into a raging alcoholic with midweek drinking! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

You really are doing great work RK - two things though

1. Your HM pace is 6:30 :eek::eek: What time you aiming for.

2. I do my 1mile reps around a cinder track - try and do them on the road and I fall apart and bail on them :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Great session, you're motoring very well at the moment.

Poor session, I'm warning ya it's a lot harder than you'd think!! No way I'd handle 355ml....I'll be throwing up with 330s so its all the one to me!!

This beer mile is turning be into a raging alcoholic with midweek drinking! :rolleyes:

Eh midweek beers does not meant that I'm, eh I mean an individual is an alcoholic. Does it?

Good sessions rk

Gavlor wrote: »
    Eh midweek beers does not meant that I'm, eh I mean an individual is an alcoholic. Does it?

If you don't empty a case a night you are safe! ;)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    You really are doing great work RK - two things though

1. Your HM pace is 6:30 :eek::eek: What time you aiming for.

2. I do my 1mile reps around a cinder track - try and do them on the road and I fall apart and bail on them :confused::rolleyes:

Looking at 1:25 for the half! Will reassess nearer the time. Might not make that time in July, but would want to be there by Athlone flatline.

When I run in Ph Park, a lot of miles are on grass, but majority on paths.

Looking at 1:25 for the half! Will reassess nearer the time. Might not make that time in July, but would want to be there by Athlone flatline.

Nice! What are your long runs looking like at the moment? We need a few more of those "longest run since DCM"s :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

When I run in Ph Park, a lot of miles are on grass, but majority on paths.

That would be some achievement - just shows how quickly you are progressing (pardon the pun :)).

Good running RK. Keep doing what you're doing because it's working, serious improvements. By the way when you say "plan" which plan are you referring to. Is it your own or somebody else's?

All joking aside you should practice skulling a couple of beers. It's awful but I'd hate to be doing it for the first time on Friday! Moosehead defeated me tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Sunday 9th June:
    I also find it easier to do the reps on somewhere like 15 Acres - flat, with a loop, no road stops etc.
    Last year I'd have done these reps as part of a normal road run, but it would have been punctuated by stops.
    I can recall asking KC why he done his reps on a cinder track - I kinda understand now (but still think a 400m track would drive me barmy).

Nice session alright. I'll be heading down there myself tomorrow to do some mile intervals, it's nice and flat alright, but it always seems to be windy down there and it does undulate a little bit on the sides nearest the khyber road and magazine fort. i've a feeling i won't think it's flat by the time i get to the fifth rep.

Cheers TRR, it's my own plan, based on a lot of research of HM plans (P&D, running planet, runners world and advice on key sessions from Let's Run) but mainly factored on what I like doing :)

Will aim to do some beering after footie on Thursday.

Nice session alright. I'll be heading down there myself tomorrow to do some mile intervals, it's nice and flat alright, but it always seems to be windy down there and it does undulate a little bit on the sides nearest the khyber road and magazine fort. i've a feeling i won't think it's flat by the time i get to the fifth rep.

It's got it's own micro climate down there, on the side opposite the Khyber, I find it better to run away from the mag fort as it gets too windy on that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Loving this log right now, your totally in the zone.

Thursday: BM practice. Small mileage + 3 x 400 with 2 beers, a parish priest and a director from work.

Friday: 2.5m to get the dog out, a nothing run.
    Then onto the event of the year, the Irish National Beer Mile Championship. Report on the beer mile log thingy as I couldn't be bothered to link it! :)
    Needless to say I got a PB of 7:43 and a 3rd place finish.

Saturday: recovery day. GAA filled day, still a blur from copious amounts of recovery drinks after the National BM Championship. No running. Didn't sleep well due to finding a hedgehog in the garden, driving the dog mad. I kid you not.

Sunday: planned a 16m run with some HM efforts. Could only manage 13 miles with no HM pacing. Still happy to finish it as I would have willingly thrown in the towel at 6 miles while leaving the dog back.
    Happy that I managed to go back out and run back to the Phoenix park. Loads out running today, great to see.

Hands up who got slippers for Father's Day \o/

Currently trying to replan this weeks running bearing in mind I'll get a recovery week in Singapore the following week.

Did I mention I'm the 3rd best Beer Miler in the country. No Exaggeration :)

Monday 17th June:

My plan called for '7m Easy' - but that was on the back of a 16m with a lot of HM pace in it (which didn't happen).
    Went out with the intention of keeping the pace 'comfortably hard' - what McMillan would call 'Steady State'.

Didn't look at the watch - had the time showing rather than pace.

6.93miles @ 7.05

Tuesday 18th June:

Had planned this session for Wednesday, but had to do a rejig due to life getting in the way on Wednesday night (going to see Man of Steel with my gurls !! :) )

2 Easy + 3x2m@Tempo (2min rec) + 2x1m@Tempo (1min rec) + 2 easy
    This was an adapted Daniels plan - included in my HM plan as I'm contemplating using Daniels for my Marathon training.

1.68 Miles easy to 15 Acres

Rep 1: 12:39 (6:20 pace)
    Rep 2: 12:43 (6:22 pace)
    Rep 3: 12:43 (6:22 pace)

5 mins recovery

Rep 4: 6:27
    Rep 5: 6:17

2.01m Easy

1st 2 sets of 2m went ok, heat didn't help - I knew on the 3rd that it would be difficult - I was regretting doing the steady run on Monday night.
    By the end of the 3rd I was near done - the pace was faster than planned HM pace, but slightly slower than 10k pace. The 1st 1m rep was difficult - the 1 min break was welcome!
    2nd mile felt great - shortened the stride and pumped the arms. Delighted to get around in 6:17.

That's a nice 8 miles of good tempo intervals on fairly fatigued legs.

I don't think I've every felt as 'wasted' after a run as I was tonight. Not too sure if it was the heat, the mileage over the last 3 days, the drinking since Friday or a mad combination of everything!!
    Legs and internals are fairly foooked.

Rest of the week will hopefully be:
    Wed: 3-4mile recovery
    Thur: Sports massage then football
    Fri: Easy/recovery run
    Sat: 14m long run - hopefully with 6 at HMP

Tuesdays total: 12:12 miles

YTD: 791 miles

Monday 17th June:

My plan called for '7m Easy' - but that was on the back of a 16m with a lot of HM pace in it (which didn't happen).
    Went out with the intention of keeping the pace 'comfortably hard' - what McMillan would call 'Steady State'.

Didn't look at the watch - had the time showing rather than pace.

6.93miles @ 7.05

Tuesday 18th June:

Had planned this session for Wednesday, but had to do a rejig due to life getting in the way on Wednesday night (going to see Man of Steel with my gurls !! :) )

2 Easy + 3x2m@Tempo (2min rec) + 2x1m@Tempo (1min rec) + 2 easy
    This was an adapted Daniels plan - included in my HM plan as I'm contemplating using Daniels for my Marathon training.

1.68 Miles easy to 15 Acres

Rep 1: 12:39 (6:20 pace)
    Rep 2: 12:43 (6:22 pace)
    Rep 3: 12:43 (6:22 pace)

5 mins recovery

Rep 4: 6:27
    Rep 5: 6:17

2.01m Easy

1st 2 sets of 2m went ok, heat didn't help - I knew on the 3rd that it would be difficult - I was regretting doing the steady run on Monday night.
    By the end of the 3rd I was near done - the pace was faster than planned HM pace, but slightly slower than 10k pace. The 1st 1m rep was difficult - the 1 min break was welcome!
    2nd mile felt great - shortened the stride and pumped the arms. Delighted to get around in 6:17.

That's a nice 8 miles of good tempo intervals on fairly fatigued legs.

I don't think I've every felt as 'wasted' after a run as I was tonight. Not too sure if it was the heat, the mileage over the last 3 days, the drinking since Friday or a mad combination of everything!!
    Legs and internals are fairly foooked.

Rest of the week will hopefully be:
    Wed: 3-4mile recovery
    Thur: Sports massage then football
    Fri: Easy/recovery run
    Sat: 14m long run - hopefully with 6 at HMP

Tuesdays total: 12:12 miles

YTD: 791 miles

What's your hm pace??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are you not racing Dunshaughlin RK?

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's your hm pace??

Planning for 6:30, might not get there til Athlone half though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you not racing Dunshaughlin RK?

Nah, would've loved to do it but flying to Singapore (work) on Sat evening.
    Looks like a good gang doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nah, would've loved to do it but flying to Singapore (work) on Sat evening.
    Looks like a good gang doing it.

Yeah I am looking forward to it.
    Hopefully my body will be over the beer mile antics by then enough to run a good race. I ran the novice 5k on sunday but my stomach and head were still in bits (well that's my excuse for CL beating me for the 2nd time in 3 days anyway :o).

Planning for 6:30, might not get there til Athlone half though.

When is that? Is that the flat course??

1st HM race is Clontarf on July 13, don't think I'll be quite in 1:25 shape by then.

The Athlone flatline is 14 Sept.

Both flat courses. Clontarf is in the hands of the Gods with the weather.

1st HM race is Clontarf on July 13, don't think I'll be quite in 1:25 shape by then.

The Athlone flatline is 14 Sept.

Both flat courses. Clontarf is in the hands of the Gods with the weather.

I have a christening in Carlow on the 13th, might try squeeze clontarf in before that

I'm such a lazy bastard I haven't reread all your posts and I think we talked about this Friday night but are you planning on running DCM this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great session there tonight RK. You basically ran faster than I did tonight in my 1 x 2m race 3 times over in a training session!

TRR wrote: »
    I'm such a lazy bastard I haven't reread all your posts and I think we talked about this Friday night but are you planning on running DCM this year?

yep, I am.
    Unsure of goal time just yet. Would like to do a 3:0x to build to a sub 3 spring marathon.
    Don't think I'll have a sub 3 by Oct due to the MBA impeding training mileage.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great session there tonight RK. You basically ran faster than I did tonight in my 1 x 2m race 3 times over in a training session!

Its all relative - don't think you can compare.
    While I think I'm nearing a plateau, your progress is fantastic, if you can keep injury free you'll keep PB'ing and progressing for a while yet!

Advertisement