Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nah, would've loved to do it but flying to Singapore (work) on Sat evening.
    Looks like a good gang doing it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22982018

......that'll slow you down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Was chatting to a guy from Singapore on a call yesterday morning. He said it's nuts. I'm pretty sure he was saying that at that time they were being advised not to go outside because of the air quality...but then he called me from our offices so I could be talking sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

The treadmill is your friend in this kind of scenario- be really careful running outside in that crap RK- I grew up in an area w/ pretty heavy smog at times and it can be absolute torture on the lungs....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

guinang wrote: »
    Was chatting to a guy from Singapore on a call yesterday morning. He said it's nuts. I'm pretty sure he was saying that at that time they were being advised not to go outside because of the air quality...but then he called me from our offices so I could be talking sh1te

Did you see the pics! It's fairly bad! Wouldn't be suprised if the airport was impacted by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Thanks guys - been onto a number of agencies etc and the trip is still on. Have to pick up a mask though!!

Wednesday 19th June: 3mile Recovery run @ 8:17 pace.

Thursday: Sports massage from Castleknocks finest then 1 hour of football. Very humid - legs very tired. Probably should not have had the massage and football in same day.

Friday: Danielsesque type session. 2x(2e+20T+1e)
    (no Gavlor....its not algebra)

Legs were tired from football, so wasn't sure how this would go. Would normally have done this on a Sat or Sun, but had to pull it into Fri.

On the 1st of the 2 easy miles, I was thinking of just doing 13-14m straight. Too tired.
    Then thought, maybe just do 1 mile and see. The 20 min Tempos translate into 3 mile tempos.
    After the 1st mile, I slowed thinking that I'd not do it, then after about 2 mins found myself running at pace again - keep going so - the 1st 3mile tempo felt good - but still good to finish it.

Finished the easy mile, then brought the dog home (6 miles was her limit in the heat) and out again to repeat the session, this time in the 15 acres. (about 12 min gap in between)

2nd Session went well - tough as there was a breeze as usual - being honest, I just done the 20 min T rather than 3 miles - only a bit in the difference (0.2m) - still a great session.
    Really like these runs - breaks up the run and makes it interesting.

1st Set:
    2 easy (8:15/7:57)
    Tempo: (6:28/6:42/6:13)
    1 Easy: 7:50

2nd Set
    2 Easy (7:59/7:45)
    Tempo (6:32/6:24/6:19)
    1.5 easy (ave 8:02)

Legs feeling great today.
    Recovery week next week - the dreadmill is my friend. Back Thursday.

• Advertisement

Sat 22nd - Thursday 27th am: In Singapore

Managed just 2 treadmill runs.
    Monday morning (6am!!) 5 miles
    Tuesday morning (5:30am :eek: ) 4 miles

Trip can be summed up as follows:
    Bad sleep, up, run, work, Warm to freezing air-con, dinner & drinks after work, hotel room, bad sleep - onslaught of Flu due to air con.

Flight home on Wed night / Thursday morning was the worst 13 hours of my life. Crying baby for the majority of the flight.
    The Baby was a bit like Sky News - "on the hour, every hour".

Thursday PM: Nice 7.7m @8:15 pace to loosen the legs that evening with the dog in the Ph Park.

Friday: 5.10 miles @7:49 pace. Very tired that night.

Saturday 29th June: 14.74miles (inc Irish Runner 5 mile)

Wasn't sure what tactic to employ during this race - I was originally thinking of doing it as a tempo run, but the urge to race is always strong. I jogged down 2.5m to the start line from the house. Got there with 20 mins to spare so done some stretching and strides.

In the pen, I decided to do the 1st mile at a decent pace and see how I felt.
    Had a look around as I had seen no boardsies yet - Spotted RedRunner and gave him a wave.
    Gun went off and immediately I knew that this was going to be difficult - not much room, very congested, despite been near the top.
    Mile 1 was 5:58 - mainly due to avoiding the congestion and finding a good place to run. Was up & down pace wise.

As I approached the roundabout at chesterfield, I was deciding if I should keep on going or run at tempo pace. That decision was made for me when I seen a girl a fair few hundred meters ahead of me in luminous orange socks. There was no way that I could be chicked by such socks.

Mile 2 (6:05) brought us down the Kyber, and Orange Socks girl was still ahead. - We turned up Military road and I was within reach of her on the hills, so stayed behind her.
    Mile 3 came and went (6:18) - the hills were having an impact and the long week was coming back to me. But the Socks girl wasn't going to beat me!

Met Aero2k giving out water, nice to see others giving something back to the sport, well done.
    We were then going up the upper glen road, neck and neck with the Orange Socks girl, as we approached the 4 mile mark, she got a shout out and she pushed on.
    Mile 4 was 6:20. At this stage it was a race between me and her - time didn't matter.

I was glad of the competition as had I of not been racing her, my time would have slowed.

At the start of mile 5 I opened a gap on her and relaxed, only for her to come back at me, we got a call as we approached the home straight "800m to go" - and off she went.
    I knew that she had gone too early, so bided my time, I increased the pace a small bit, - at this stage it was a real "Battle of the Sock's" (see what I did there :D )and as we approached the 400m sign, I throttled it - some might say "giving it socks".......

I passed her by and about 10 others - quick glance at the watch showed 5:35 pace for the closing straight.
    Part of me was chastising myself for having that pace left in the tank, while another part was happy as its something I've built into my training.

Crossed the line in 31:28. 122 place (out of ~2800) and 17th M40
    a good 60 seconds off my best, but if that time were offered to me at the start line I'd of snapped there hand of for it!

Went over to introduce myself to Orange Socks lady - I dont think she had any idea of the battle we'd just been through!! (Patricia (Eastern European)from Raheny Shamrocks)

Jogged 2.78 back home as a warm down.

Brought the dog straight out (as I wanted to ensure 13+ miles today) and done 4.4m

Total miles today: 14.74

36.5 miles for the week - Happy out given the week I've had.

Off out tonight - 17 years married today :eek:
    (I wonder if Blockic was making his communion the same day I got married??)

Haha brilliant :D Nice running after a tough week!

I was hoping orange socks girl beat you though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great report and great running there RK. I must look out for "Orange Socks Girl" down at the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

enjoyed reading that, there was a lady I was chasing for a while with ridiculously short shorts....does make one go a little faster alright.

congrats on the anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Sat 22nd - Thursday 27th am: In Singapore

Managed just 2 treadmill runs.
    Monday morning (6am!!) 5 miles
    Tuesday morning (5:30am :eek: ) 4 miles

Trip can be summed up as follows:
    Bad sleep, up, run, work, Warm to freezing air-con, dinner & drinks after work, hotel room, bad sleep - onslaught of Flu due to air con.

Flight home on Wed night / Thursday morning was the worst 13 hours of my life. Crying baby for the majority of the flight.
    The Baby was a bit like Sky News - "on the hour, every hour".

Thursday PM: Nice 7.7m @8:15 pace to loosen the legs that evening with the dog in the Ph Park.

Friday: 5.10 miles @7:49 pace. Very tired that night.

Saturday 29th June: 14.74miles (inc Irish Runner 5 mile)

Wasn't sure what tactic to employ during this race - I was originally thinking of doing it as a tempo run, but the urge to race is always strong. I jogged down 2.5m to the start line from the house. Got there with 20 mins to spare so done some stretching and strides.

In the pen, I decided to do the 1st mile at a decent pace and see how I felt.
    Had a look around as I had seen no boardsies yet - Spotted RedRunner and gave him a wave.
    Gun went off and immediately I knew that this was going to be difficult - not much room, very congested, despite been near the top.
    Mile 1 was 5:58 - mainly due to avoiding the congestion and finding a good place to run. Was up & down pace wise.

As I approached the roundabout at chesterfield, I was deciding if I should keep on going or run at tempo pace. That decision was made for me when I seen a girl a fair few hundred meters ahead of me in luminous orange socks. There was no way that I could be chicked by such socks.

Mile 2 (6:05) brought us down the Kyber, and Orange Socks girl was still ahead. - We turned up Military road and I was within reach of her on the hills, so stayed behind her.
    Mile 3 came and went (6:18) - the hills were having an impact and the long week was coming back to me. But the Socks girl wasn't going to beat me!

Met Aero2k giving out water, nice to see others giving something back to the sport, well done.
    We were then going up the upper glen road, neck and neck with the Orange Socks girl, as we approached the 4 mile mark, she got a shout out and she pushed on.
    Mile 4 was 6:20. At this stage it was a race between me and her - time didn't matter.

I was glad of the competition as had I of not been racing her, my time would have slowed.

At the start of mile 5 I opened a gap on her and relaxed, only for her to come back at me, we got a call as we approached the home straight "800m to go" - and off she went.
    I knew that she had gone too early, so bided my time, I increased the pace a small bit, - at this stage it was a real "Battle of the Sock's" (see what I did there :D )and as we approached the 400m sign, I throttled it - some might say "giving it socks".......

I passed her by and about 10 others - quick glance at the watch showed 5:35 pace for the closing straight.
    Part of me was chastising myself for having that pace left in the tank, while another part was happy as its something I've built into my training.

Crossed the line in 31:28. 122 place (out of ~2800) and 17th M40
    a good 60 seconds off my best, but if that time were offered to me at the start line I'd of snapped there hand of for it!

Went over to introduce myself to Orange Socks lady - I dont think she had any idea of the battle we'd just been through!! (Patricia (Eastern European)from Raheny Shamrocks)

Jogged 2.78 back home as a warm down.

Brought the dog straight out (as I wanted to ensure 13+ miles today) and done 4.4m

Total miles today: 14.74

36.5 miles for the week - Happy out given the week I've had.

Off out tonight - 17 years married today :eek:
    (I wonder if Blockic was baptised the same day I got married??)

FYP :D Great run and report.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

statss wrote: »
    enjoyed reading that, there was a lady I was chasing for a while with ridiculously short shorts....does make one go a little faster alright.

congrats on the anniversary.

You can't compare them - what you were at is just pervy :D:D

Great stuff RK - impressive week - nearly makes me feel bad about taking the week off for holiday food and booze (only nearly though ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Note to self...... Throw out my wacky orange socks and short shorts;)

Fantastic result after a very busy week A, looking good for a great run in Clontarf.

I'm sure the dog was delighted to have a recovery week while you were away:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just catching your report now, nice running after the week you've had!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great report and great weeks running. Congrats on 17yr anniversary too.

End of month report (cant believe its 1st July already!)

Results for June as follows:
    1. 3 runs of 14-16m :D if I include a 13.4 effort, then its a pass.
    2. 3 Sessions & 1 Beer Mile :D Good JD sessions and 3rd place in Beer Mile
    3. Total of 150 miles :D 170 miles - 2nd highest mileage ever.
    4. New 5k PB :D 18:31 at Malahide
    5. Run Irish Runner 5m on 29th as Tempo run (Dont race it) :D Will call this a 'result' as the main reason behind not racing was to ensure doing more miles.
    6. Start next MBA Module to get ahead!! :mad: Epic Fail
    7. Travel to Singapore with work (just threw that in to show off) :D

Focus for July
    • 13-15 mile run with 7-8 at HMP
    • Longest run since DCM :) (anything over 15.42m)
    • Clontarf Plan -Gold Medal: 1:27 Half Marathon / Silver Medal: Sub 1:30 HM (all weather dependent)
    • 2 weeks off from running (Holidays)
    • Finalise Marathon training plan
    • 80 miles total planned for the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I think im going to shy away from the Clontarf Half with you running like that...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I think im going to shy away from the Clontarf Half with you running like that...

writing it on paper is 1 thing - doing it is entirely different.

Just catching up, great running and racing last week RK considering all the travel. You ran more than me!! :eek:

Orange socks definitely are an incentive!

Sunday 30th: Rest day - Went to Croke Park and watched the Dubs dismantle Kildare.

Monday 1st July: 8:34 miles down to end of phoenix park and back home. (7:45 pace)

Tuesday 2nd July: 5:43 recovery run in phoenix park with dog (8:20 pace)

Wednesday 3rd July: "When running chewed me up & spit me out"

I had planned 14 miles with the middle 8 at HM pace. (Actually completed 11.5 miles with 6 at HM Pace)
    I knew it would be tough, but wanted to do a good number of half marathon paced miles in a continuous run, rather than doing the tempo intervals that I have been doing.

I planned a route that would not be too hilly (difficult in Phoenix park).
    As I finished the 1st mile, I knew this was going to be very difficult - I didn't seem to have much energy. Maybe the heat was a factor?

3 warm up miles (8:07 / 7:40 / 7:50)
    As I turned down Ordanance Survey road, I started the HM pace miles, turned up the Furze and down Chesterfield, before looping back to the 15 Acres.
    Splits went like this.

6:21
    6:23 (stopped for 30 secs to catch my breathing)
    6:09 (Wayyyyy too fast - don't know what was going on)
    6:25
    6:28 (Wanted to stop totally before this rep, Actually did stop for 30-40 secs) but mind games got me going again)
    6:22

After the 6th mile at HM pace, I was beat up, legs were gone, breathing was gone, running form was all over the place.
    At this stage there was a Duathlon starting on the 15 Acres, so I took that as a sign to go home!

The 2.5 miles back were very sore, despite it being at 8:20 pace.

During all reps of the HM pace, my pacing was all over the place, I found it difficult to find a rhythm - I think this caused some of my issues.
    When I check the splits from a 'half mile' perspective, it shows it as I'm bouncing around a wide range of paces.

Wore my HRM for this one - the HM paced miles ranged from 162-166 (resting HR is 43).

While not quite a disaster of a run, I got 6 good fast paced miles in - possibly more of a 3x2m session rather than a 6m continous due to my 2 stoppages.
    Haven't felt that sore & tired after a run in a long long time. Also I don't think I've sweat as much - my top & shorts were soaked.

* Maybe tried the session too sun after Saturdays race (& additional runs)?
    * Heat was certainly a factor (I had no drink with me)?
    * Certainly didn't hydrate well before the session.
    * Didn't eat right before the session.

In a way, I'm delighted to have had the 'bad' run - Running had been going well lately so it helps not to be complacent & it gives me a kick up the backside in advance of Clontarf HM.
    I'll certainly pay more attention to the 'non-running' parts of the preparation.

Plan for the remainder of the week is easy running.
    I'll see how I feel about a 15-16 miles on Sat/Sun at an easy pace.

• Advertisement

I had planned 14 miles with the middle 8 at HM pace.

I reckon you were in trouble before you even set off on this one, 14 with 8 at HMP is very tough...maybe a bit too much of a jump? what was the last session you done at HMP?

For me I think that the P&D schedule peaks at 11 with 7 at HMP and I think this would be the highest continuous mileage I'd do at that pace in training (or 45mins whichever is more). If I can do 7 at HMP in training, I know I can do it for 13.1 in racing conditions, so I would then say to myself why do more?

bang on with that assessment.

Previously I'd done a 3x2m/ 4x2m / a couple of 2x3m / so I wanted to do something longer.

Lately I've been struggling to develop my own training plan for DCM - moving from P&D (70m) to Daniels to a Hybrid containing a lot of Tergats MP runs. When putting things down on paper (......well 'puter screen), I think the tendency is to over inflate your abilities!!

The run yesterday was of my own creation, rather than coming from a plan designed by someone who knows what they are talking about.
    Its making me rethink my DCM plan and maybe going with a tried and tested model is the way to go.

Lately I've been struggling to develop my own training plan for DCM - moving from P&D (70m) to Daniels to a Hybrid containing a lot of Tergats MP runs. When putting things down on paper (......well 'puter screen), I think the tendency is to over inflate your abilities!!

The run yesterday was of my own creation, rather than coming from a plan designed by someone who knows what they are talking about.
    Its making me rethink my DCM plan and maybe going with a tried and tested model is the way to go.

Yeah, something to think about, I'm in the same boat at the moment for Marathon training, nothing set in stone and not sure what to go with, will have a hard think at the weekend.

Session doesn't look too bad on paper. It probably felt worse though. The plans I've seen with a solid block of HMP miles usually only have them up to 7 with a shorter w/u (1m usually). I'd say being in Singapore last week has taken a bit out of you (time difference, temp difference, delayed jet lag whatever ;)) and then racing on Sat.

I would do a slower warm up as well. I know its all relative and I'm slower anyway but Tergat made the point that you only have a limited amount of glycogen stored in your muscles. The faster you run the more glycogen you burn and if you burn up a lot of the glycogen before you start the session .... you know where this is going :D

You should stick up your plan RK so we can all laugh at it offer constructive advice :). But seriously might be an idea - I'm in the same boat at the minute with inventing a plan - although its for a half marathon as I'll never be sucked into doing a marathon!! You are spot on though re over inflating our own ability - looking at mine I've done the exact same thing and could cause me to struggle..

I would do a slower warm up as well. I know its all relative and I'm slower anyway but Tergat made the point that you only have a limited amount of glycogen stored in your muscles. The faster you run the more glycogen you burn and if you burn up a lot of the glycogen before you start the session .... you know where this is going :D

The warm up is RK's easy pace so that looks OK to me, would you burn up a lot of glycogen after 3 miles?

I think the issue is more the prep also for RK as you mentioned you didn't eat right before the the session, and maybe the glycogen levels were low at the starting point?

For me, I wouldn't be worrying about glycogen at all until anything after 16 miles.

It's probably lactate you would be more concerned with on a session like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Regards the session RK, I wouldn't worry too much about it, you got a decent amount of work done at a quality pace. If you are going to attempt something like this again I would judge it by heart rate rather than pace. If you train by HR then I would work out the correct zone and try and hold it in that, rather than worry about pace. There are too many factors than can affect pace such as heat, hydration, sleep and that can affect the pace you run at on any given day. Doing it by HR will mean you can keep the effort right, whatever the correct effort is for that particular day.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Regards the session RK, I wouldn't worry too much about it, you got a decent amount of work done at a quality pace. If you are going to attempt something like this again I would judge it by heart rate rather than pace. If you train by HR then I would work out the correct zone and try and hold it in that, rather than worry about pace. There are too many factors than can affect pace such as heat, hydration, sleep and that can affect the pace you run at on any given day. Doing it by HR will mean you can keep the effort right, whatever the correct effort is for that particular day.

Thinking of going to the dark side and getting a HRM myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

blockic wrote: »
    Thinking of going to the dark side and getting a HRM myself.

Yeah I don't train by HR myself but my coach is pushing me to get a HR monitor and start using it, he has me measuring me HR twice as a day as it is as the moment! Think I will, gives you more control.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »

Cheers pconn - certainly makes sense.

Is the percieved wisdom to do all runs per HR or just worry about the session type runs?

Must do some research on it.

Advertisement