Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Here listen, I have a 14yr old nephew.......

:D

Great report but even better race!

Well done #betterthandad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That's brilliant RK! Such an eloquent report, beyond her years I would say and I could see her Dad's sense of humour coming through there:)

It's great that she has an interest in the running too. Wasn't too far from Farrington's last night myself at one stage. I know exactly what you mean about the tongue this morning..meet your brother!:D

Fair play for getting 12 in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Cheers RR, I was in bed 4 hrs before ur 3am report was written.

Sunday 7th July:

Nice easy 6.78 miles around the phoenix park with the dog (8:29 pace).

I managed to park the car on the opposite end of the Furry Glen, but ran back to Farmleigh gate, wondering where the car was!! Was laughing as Peckams story about getting lost came back into my head. Ran the additional 1.5 miles with the dog, even though it was a dog exclusion zone, but I'm rebellious in nature :)

51.43 miles for the week - 2nd highest mileage ever, but didn't feel like it.
    Looking forward to increasing the miles after the holidays on the P&D 70m plan.

Plan for the week is rest Monday and possibly Tuesday. Easy miles all week with some strides.

Saturday 13th is going to be warm, so need a good plan!! (Hat, glasses, sun cream, have someone run beside me with an umbrella?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Saturday 13th is going to be warm, so need a good plan!! (Hat, glasses, sun cream, have someone run beside me with an umbrella?)

Get out of bed earlier ;):D

• Advertisement

Race starts at 10, hopefully be ok.

Get out of bed earlier ;):D

And have a special standalone start for the clontarf half?! Tut tut

Gavlor wrote: »
    And have a special standalone start for the clontarf half?! Tut tut
    D'oh :o forgot that he was racing not lsr - ing

Monday 8th July: Rest day

Tuesday 9th July: Plan was to do easy runs all week, but was doing a bit of reading on HM prep and nearly all the perceived wisdom was to do some mileage at HM pace.
    Found a good article on Race Week Workouts - good for people with 'makey uppy' plans like me.

http://running.competitor.com/2012/11/training/workout-of-the-week-race-week-workouts_20718

Decided to do the '3xHMP + 5x1min' session today in the 29degree heat as it seemed like a good thing to do :eek:

Jogged from Farmleigh gate to 15 Acres: 1.64m @ 7:45

3 miles at HMP were a bit iffy at 1st, hard to find the pace, I keep moving to a higher pace, so really tried to start slow and run into it.
    I'm getting a handle on the pace as I knew instinctively when it was too fast or too slow - now to just keep it consistent.

Breathing was difficult on certain parts of the 15 acres as there was a lack of breeze on certain parts. On other parts it was a good enough wind. Mad place really.

Struggling to see how I'm going to keep the pace for 13 miles - 3 was very tough!
    3 miles @ 6:29. (too fast, plan was for 6:35).

Took a mile easy jog, then done the 1 min on/off.

Pace was in between 5k & 10k pace, but felt comfortable rather than lung busting.
    Range from 5:30 min/mile to 6:10 min/mile.

Really enjoyed these 1 min runs - in hindsight, should have done these 1st rather than the HMP as it would have help fire my legs a bit.

Easy runs til Saturday, but am going to do maybe 6-7 of these 1 min strides on Wednesday as well.
    Another article I read, concerning these speed development sessions, say that you see the benefit of these sessions within 1 or 2 days.

http://running.competitor.com/2012/01/training/how-long-before-i-see-the-benefits-of-a-workout_46005/3

Saturdays HM goal may change if the weather keeps this hot!!

edit: totals: 8:02 @ 7:36 pace.

Some interesting reading thanks RK :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Some interesting reading thanks RK :)

Some good reading there alright, I might do a threshold run on Thursday rather than 400s then to benefit before Fingal, and I might just lift that "week of the race" plan in it's entirety!

That's some session in this heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

RK,

Whats the race plan for Saturday ?

Out hard and hope to hold on?
    Out easy and negative split?
    Even all the way?
    Catch fire in this heat, on the beach ?:D

Two worst bits are the "on to" and "off" beach section, with the loose sand, but you know that already...

plan was for 'even all the way' - but I'm having difficulty getting the pace and its impacting me aerobically with the 'speed up/slow down' when I do tempo runs/HMP recently

So the new plan is to go out with 1:30 pacers for a couple of miles to get the rhythm & breathing right then hopefully have it in me to push on to 6:35 pace.
    The lack of HMP miles during long runs is a missing for me as I done more interval type work outs, so should be interesting to see how I hold on.

Think I need to build this 'weakness' into my Marathon plan and ensure I get a good amount of MP runs in, but it seems P&d have already thought of that :) .

I'd like to run a 1:25 half this year, had been looking at the Athlone flatline for that, but am not doing that now due to 'race overload'. I don't think Dublin is a suitable course for it but will hopefully get close to it.

We'll see what Saturday brings - I'll be still pushing for 1:27, but we'll see what the weather is like!!

Wednesday 10th July

Avoided the P Park in case I got mistaken for Justin Timberlake :) or it was too busy - one or the other!

2.23 Warm up.

10x1 mins:

Done these a bit faster than Tuesdays session.
    Slowest rep: 6:16 (mistimed the end) Fastest Rep: 4:36 (young lads out training - passing out the 'old man' on my 'off' rep - whats a guy to do :) )
    The rest were about 5:40 pace. - I Like these sprints/bursts/strides short, over quickly and effective.

1:44 warm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Fastest Rep: 4:36 (young lads out training - passing out the 'old man' on my 'off' rep - whats a guy to do :) )

nice one :D thought I was the only one that done that - love racing the minor team when doing speed work - especially funny when one night was racing past them and the manager in sheer frustration at the lazy feckers roared at them " fúcks sake lads he's retired this ten years* and he's still pissing past ye - we're fúcked this year"

* he was obviously exaggerating for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Avoided the P Park in case I got mistaken for Justin Timberlake :) or it was too busy - one or the other!

a-even-justin-bieber-wants-to-punch-justin-bieber-funny-demotivational-posters.jpg

Haha, but you got to separate ur Biebers from your Timberlakes! !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ah true, must have been because it was too busy so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good luck tomorrow in the Half.

Positive thoughts and a good warmup before...

A a good race report after, with a PB attached...

No pressure so !:D

I would go have going down to watch the race only the son wanted to see Pacific Rim, so it was a decision between Robots V Monsters and sweaty runners... The robots won !!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck with it tomorrow RK. Keep it handy and sub 1:30 is in the bag. Push on then for the strong finish!

How low can you go...:)

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow in the Half.

Positive thoughts and a good warmup before...

A a good race report after, with a PB attached...

No pressure so !:D

I would go have going down to watch the race only the son wanted to see Pacific Rim, so it was a decision between Robots V Monsters and sweaty runners... The robots won !!!.

Think I'd rather watch that than run the race.............
    blockic wrote: »
    Good luck with it tomorrow RK. Keep it handy and sub 1:30 is in the bag. Push on then for the strong finish!

How low can you go...:)

Cheers Blockic - no real fears on sub 1:30 tbh - its getting the 'how low can you go' part that could catch me out.

Maybe just getting the 1:29.59 should be the goal this time around........ but I'll be pushing for better

If I feel I'm over the 1:30 towards the end, I'll keel over and blame the sun..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good luck with race RK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Cheers Blockic - no real fears on sub 1:30 tbh - its getting the 'how low can you go' part that could catch me out.

Maybe just getting the 1:29.59 should be the goal this time around........ but I'll be pushing for better

If I feel I'm over the 1:30 towards the end, I'll keel over and blame the sun..... :pac:

Ah I know no fear on the 1:30, just don't run off with Gavlor, you'll pass him on the final mile anyway if you pace it even :pac:

You can only use the sun and keel over excuse on marathons! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Ah I know no fear on the 1:30, just don't run off with Gavlor, you'll pass him on the final mile anyway if you pace it even :pac:

You can only use the sun and keel over excuse on marathons! ;)

Eh based on what exactly?!

My strong finish @ waterford?? Pppfffftttt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Good luck today. Having been out there already it looks like it could be a tough one

Clontarf Half Marathon

no real fears on sub 1:30 tbh

:eek:

My strategy of sticking with the pacers and 'pushing on' worked perfectly.......apart from the 'pushing on' part........and 'sticking with the pacers'.

My prep for this race was ideal, not too much running this week, 2 days off before hand. Well hydrated with Zeros & dioralytes on Thurs & Fri.

Beetroot juice all week with 2 shots at breakfast.
    Felt no niggles the night before and really felt strong.

Before the race I met up with Gavlor, I noticed him checking out all the guys in red tops before hand, so I guessed it was him.
    Also met Wolf, Dilbert and Belcarra before hand.

Made our way to the start line and we were off.
    I was surprised as I hit the 6:50 pace without issue and my breathing was fine, so after about half a mile, I pushed a little bit ahead of the pacing group (KU was pacing the 1:30's).

Mile 1-3 were fine (6:37/ 6:40 / 6:47) a gentle breeze cooling us down as we approached the bridge.
    The beach was fine, firm sand, but the on-off bits were difficult (but short).
    Going off the beach there was a van stuck in the sand that we had to get around :mad:

Water stops were fine - bottles of water - drank some and poured the rest over my head.
    Next 3 miles were fine as we approached half way - I was still a bit ahead of the pacers (6:46/6:50/6:53).

Just after the half way turn I took a gel, straight away I had to stop as I puked it back up (and the beetroot juice :eek: ), by the time I composed myself, the 1:30 pacers were just passing so I jumped in with the group.

Ran the next 2 (7&8) miles with the pacers (6:57/6:46) but was now finding it very tough. The demons jumped into my head at this stage, "stop" they were saying - "sure its too hot out" - at that stage, my lace opened. Damn you brooks.
    Tied my lace and watched the pacers sail off into the distance - right - maybe I'll stop. Whats a DNF amongst friends.
    Being honest, if I wasn't on Boards, I would have stopped.

Kept it going, but was finding it tough, the breeze we had for the 1st few miles was gone, it was a bit like being in a sauna now.

All around me, people were stopping, which only added to the demons.

Mile 9 was 7:04 - and was to prove my fastest mile of the last 5.

If I could have stopped on the beach I would have, but I'd only have to get going again as my car was parked by the finish line - so was better to keep going :)
    For most of the race I was on my own as I was either ahead of the pacers or just behind them - so not much company for most of the race.
    But I was still trying to pick people off as we approached the bridge (nice shout out from RedRunner).

On the bridge, I was passing someone, so started a conversation and was disappointed that I could have a conversation - obviously not pushing hard enough - I think in my mind I had resigned myself to just finishing the thing.

Whoever put an IceCeam van on the bridge - that was just vindictive :P

Back on the promenade, and casually made my way to the finish - last 4 miles were 7:14/7:35/7.21/7:34 :eek: . Carnage.
    I ran this race last year and my last 4 miles were faster than that.

Without being disrespectful to other runners who run that pace or slower for HM's - I'm a bit embarrassed with those 4 miles.

Made my way to the finish in 1:32:4x on the clock - still a 2 minute PB - but I was disappointed with my mental attitude in the last 4-5 miles where I 'gave up' once 1:30 was gone.

However - delighted that I finished, delighted to get a PB.

Met up with Gavlor & Wolf again at the end, and general consensus from us and others around us was that the heat was worth about 4 mins???

Had a chat with Dilbert & Belcarra (well done lads...nice job) - as well as Runchick (nice Marathon pacing).
    Went over to Kiely Unusual, he had found it tough doing the 1:30 pacing too. So helped my disappointment to hear that.

my usual learning's that I over analyse after a race:

* Racing in the heat is tough. very tough. (goals need to be adjusted)
    * Makey uppy plans dont work for me. (P&D 70m for Dub).
    * Lack of strength was very obvious when things got tough. (more hill work)
    * PMA needs to be worked on when Plan A & Plan B are gone.
    * Finish every race - fight the demons. (This race will stand to me).
    * Gavlor is a disgustingly nice person.

2 weeks holidays from Tuesday. :)

Ssshhhh you'll ruin the image that I've worked hard to portray :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Fair play all the same RK, a PB's a PB and in fairness the heat is horrible to run in, no-one had their Plan A from a couple of weeks ago go right for them today I'd say.

Advertisement