Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Don't know where you got the energy to even write the report...Well done sir..Despite your disappointment, that race will no doubt stand to you later in year and congrats on a well earned PB

Didn't get away from the water station till about 1245 so reckoned you'd be all gone at that stage so pity I didnt get down to finish to have a decent chat.

We could have done with a bigger table and more people at our water station.It was hard to keep the supply going at times. There were a lot of very thankful people when they got to us. Never seen so much suffering on peoples faces during a race! It must have been carnage at the finish line.

Until the next one......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hard luck there Alan, the weather always a factors in that race, be it wind, rain or in this case sun... Valuable reasons learned...

Don't tear up the plan just yet, remember miles make champions..

Anyway just to say Pacific Rim was epic and even better in IMAX... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Fair play RK that race will stand to you. Was it a dodgy gel or beet root juice?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done A on the PB on a very tough day. You'll smash that time next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant report RK even though I think you're being very hard on yourself! A PB with puking and shoe lace issues in those conditions is fantastic :D Great to meet you btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good going today dude, its tough going in that heat and a race like that will defo stand to you in the future. Us Irishmen aren't used to this tropical heat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Fair play RK that race will stand to you. Was it a dodgy gel or beet root juice?!

Was a Gu gel, had them all last year with no issues. Think it was just the heat as I've been taking beet root juice the week before every race for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good to meet you today RK and well done on a cracking time in tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB. The Clontarf half route is a bit of a head messer (the polite expression) and in the head, it's only worse. It's the heat that started giving you the good Cop bad Cop thoughts in the last few miles and fair play for not pulling out. Although its a great flat course, there's lots of other factors around to slow everyone down.

You should sign up for Charlieville and you'll find a bigger chunk taken off the PB

Cheers Aimman, my tribulations are nothing in comparison to what you've achieved over the past 10 days. Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Aimman wrote: »
    You should sign up for Charlieville and you'll find a bigger chunk taken off the PB
    Also all the cool people are going to Charleville ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just catching up now. :eek: You don't do uneventful do you? :) Another chapter sorted for the book at least! ;)

Some experience. Just a bad day you are in well below 1:30 shape. Always the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Well done. Nice meeting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done on a great time RK, seriously impressive in that heat. I take Gu gels and find them fine, but I don't think they're good in hot weather, they're too, well, gooey and they are tough going when your mouth is dry.

Don't beat yourself up on your time, the heat would have added several minutes to your time and I know only too well, once the demons start it's very hard to get them stopped.

Forget about the disappointment now and look forward to the next race... Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

I haven't been on in a while but thought I'd come here to see how others faired in this race. I did wexford in 1:30:xx or 1:31:xx so I fancied myself for sub 1:30. I came up well short at 1:35:40. Within the first four miles I lost the pacers. When I compare my condition for this race against my condition prior to Wexford, I was in better shape for this race. I also struggled alot with the demons once the 1:30 was gone and perhaps I could have pushed more.

Anyway to make a long story short, your story is similar to mine except your margin on 1:30 was much smaller. That was a cracking time you put in there. You'll blitz the next half as long as conditions aren't similar to that again.

Well done.

Much appreciate you taking the time to post that, seriously.

Great to see you posting again, obviously in good shape as well!

Sunday 14th July: 5m recovery run with the dog - 8:40 pace.

Monday 15th July: Forgot the watch and my phone, also went on the trails in the park with the dog, so no real idea of pace. The run was about 70 mins and pace felt sharpish, apart from waiting at the roads for Maisy to catch up.
    I think when Marathon training starts, I'll be only doing my recovery runs with the dog as she slows me down!

Legs felt great today, no sign of any soreness/dehydration from Saturdays Half. As I said elsewhere, the last 4 miles of that race was my recovery run........
    Thinking strongly of joining a club in August.

Greece tomorrow - will bring the gear, but not expecting to get out - it'll be a bonus if I do.

Month to date: 92.3
    Year to date: 934 (1000 miles week 2 in Aug)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Enjoy Greece - will be nice to go somewhere not as hot or sunny as Ireland :D Should make it easier to get out running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

kick back and relax :cool:

Nice!! Enjoy the hols. You set on P&D 70 12 week plan now so?

• Advertisement

Yep....definitely. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Enjoy it! Forget about running for a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Enjoy the holidays. Sorry to hear you missed out on that sub 1.30. That news broke to me over a prawn sandwich and glass of Chardonnay ;) Chin up good chap :)

TRR wrote: »
    Enjoy the holidays. Sorry to hear you missed out on that sub 1.30. That news broke to me over a prawn sandwich and glass of Chardonnay ;) Chin up good chap :)

I was impressed with the swiftness of reply, top marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Sunday 14th July: 5m recovery run with the dog - 8:40 pace.

waiting at the roads for Maisy to catch up.

Month to date: 92.3
    Year to date: 934 (1000 miles week 2 in Aug)

Where's Maisy's Log ?

My miles Below...

Month to date: 95m
    Year to date: 962m (1000 miles week 1 in Aug)

No running just yet on holidays, but quite a lot of research.

Read Hal Higdons book on the flight over, then went through my DCM plan, then read a lot of P&D, then read numerous articles on Running Times.

Flip flopped around on plans a bit............Dropbox is a godsend in these circumstances..............and will settle on an amended version of P&D with an additional emphasis on longer tempo/MP sessions. I'll only change the 2nd MLR every odd week or so with additional tempos or progressive MP 2m interval runs.

Now, based on feedback & further reading, the above could change.

Adding the additional tempos as I reckon I'm weak at speed endurance and these will help that.

Flip flopped around on plans a bit............Dropbox is a godsend in these circumstances..............and will settle on an amended version of P&D with an additional emphasis on longer tempo/MP sessions.

I'm very similar in terms of plan, will be interesting to see the differences we come to. Pity I have a 2 week head start and we are not in sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think that's a good plan RK, that was my major issue with P&D, the lack of MP tempo runs, especially towards the end, when I felt they would have been most beneficial - psychologically if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No running just yet on holidays, but quite a lot of research.

Read Hal Higdons book on the flight over, then went through my DCM plan, then read a lot of P&D, then read numerous articles on Running Times.

Flip flopped around on plans a bit............Dropbox is a godsend in these circumstances..............and will settle on an amended version of P&D with an additional emphasis on longer tempo/MP sessions. I'll only change the 2nd MLR every odd week or so with additional tempos or progressive MP 2m interval runs.

Now, based on feedback & further reading, the above could change.

Adding the additional tempos as I reckon I'm weak at speed endurance and these will help that.

Meh, just follow my plan.
    Tried and tested ;)

• Advertisement

End of Month report for July. - Keeps me honest and helps me look at things in a holistic way.

Focus for July

*13-15 mile run with 7-8 at HMP - :mad: - remember the 3 pages of debate
    *Longest run since DCM (anything over 15.42m) :mad: 15.21 over 2 runs
    *Clontarf Plan -Gold Medal: 1:27 Half Marathon / Silver Medal: Sub 1:30 HM (all weather dependent) :mad: weather & demon issues!!
    *2 weeks off from running (Holidays) :D - 2 ickle runs while in Greece. Nice break
    *Finalise Marathon training plan :D 99% there
    *80 miles total planned for the month :D 109 miles for the month

Focus for August:

* Over 200 miles for the 1st time ever.
    * Highest week planned at 59m
    * Longest run planned at 18m
    * 3 Hill sessions as part of DCM training
    * Frank Duffy 10 mile race - under 65 mins (soft?)
    * Final project for MBA due in on 24th Aug

Advertisement