Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

In other news............

Been hearing a lot about the Athlone HM (Flatline) and although I've paid for the Dub half - I'm contemplating doing the Flatline instead, with the simple intention of posting a good time.

Advice?

It's where all the fun peeps will be on September 14th:) I haven't run it myself but it comes highly recommended.
    You could race Athlone and then do the DCM Half as PMP miles as part of an LSR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Planning to race Athlone HM myself. Was thinking Charelville but it is nearly twice as dear and harder to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Marthastew wrote: »
    It's where all the fun peeps will be on September 14th:) I haven't run it myself but it comes highly recommended.
    You could race Athlone and then do the DCM Half as PMP miles as part of an LSR?

+1, do it!!! It's a serious race, it was really well organised last year and I'd highly recommend. I've no assosiation with them but know a good race when I see one!

Plus, you could then keep me company doing PMP miles the week after! Sub 3 pace is your training PMP yeah? Perfect! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

sounds like a plan.

1st Need to redo my own plan and see the impact (if any) on mileage, 20 milers etc - .......the main thing etc.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Heard good things about athlone myself and based on times last year Dublin course would be roughly 2-3 minutes slower in my estimation. Sure you need all the help you can get going sub 90 minutes. Can you not find a downhill course or something ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Do athlone for the time, and run Dublin at M pace - that's my revised plan now anyway.

Wed 7th: P&D Week 1 - 11m MLR

Wasn't sure what way to run this as the range is quite wide, the legs were grand from Tuesday so went out at the top end of the range for a few miles and scaled back towards the end.
    Unbeknownst to myself I done a couple of MP miles in there as well!! - (although it was on a long downhill section)

Nice run because:
    (1) Got to stretch the legs and lungs a bit more than I had planned.
    (2) Met Dr.Q on the run - ran a couple of miles with him, but he was under orders - his coach sounds like a right b0ll!x, who ever he is.
    (3) Passed 1000 miles for the year.

Total - 10.77 (pressed pause and didn't restart for a while when I met DrQ - was over slightly over 11m)
    Pace: 7:30 (I slowed down for Quirky - how often will I say that again.....)
    HR: Ave 147 - max 166.

Also Made me think (again!!) of joining a club - running with someone made those few miles go so fast.

Time for new runners methinks - must go visit Thirstyworks new place!!

YTD: 1002 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Why did you mention Athlone!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Why did you mention Athlone!

do it!!

do it!!

I've no discipline to not race both Athlone and Dublin. I've the Frank Duffy a Marathon on a track and a few 10k's all before DCM. And that's what I remember signing up too. I'm trigger happy with my mouse and race registration. Ah I'll size it up, the Marathon on the track is not timed and is for charity gig so I can bang out 20 I say I done 26.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Wolf - you want to reign those in a bit. As a wise man once said - "The main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing."

Jaysus Wolf - you want to reign those in a bit. As a wise man once said - "The main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing."

I promise I won't race after October for a few months. At least nothing over 6.2 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on passing the 1000 mile mark......and see you in Athlone!:)
    .........all going well

Thurs 8th: 6m recovery

Out with the dog & really felt the need for this recovery run and definitely felt the benefit afterwards.

6.14m @8.42/mile - HR Ave 132 -

Fri 9th: 8m with 3T

Plan called for 11, but I wanted to do some tempo miles, with an eye on the 10m race later this month.
    So cut the mileage to 8 - 2wu/3T/3CD

Ran the 2m down to 15 Acres. Before I started the tempo miles (plan was 6:20 - mcmillian has it as my 10m pace), I asked myself if I should do some strides 1st to get the HR & breathing up - No I replied - I'll be grand. Its only 3 miles. Sure didn't I do lots of these for the 10k & HM prep.

How wrong I was.

1st mile started fine, then I ran into the wind and up the slight drag, still into the wind - 1st mile was 6:28 and I was struggling terribly!
    I stopped for about 20 seconds to compose myself and get my breathing right.
    As I relaxed myself, it felt better - 2nd mile was 6:17 - still felt tough against the wind, 3rd mile felt terrible - form went, breathing went - 6.29.
    Upon finishing the 3 miles (3.1m - I wanted to do 5k) I lay on the grass for about 10 minutes wondering why that felt so tough.
    So many different things went through my head about doing different plans, more speedwork, joining a club, paying for a specific plan, not doing DCM and just do the short stuff etc etc.

But I think its a simple fact of increased mileage after 2 weeks holidays.
    Doing tempos on a reduced mileage HM plan, when your body is used to it and has built up to it is a damn sight easier than jumping into it when mileage has increased a lot.

In affect it was a 19:45 5k (not counting the pause) - so maybe it was right to be difficult - maybe I should have went at HM pace for the 1st tempo in the plan or maybe run into the tempo at an increasing speed. Anyway.................its done - its in the legs.
    We move on.
    I'll be more respectful to it the next time and prepare accordingly with strides and appropriate pacing.

This weeks LSR should be 15m, but as I done 15 last week, I'll do 17.
    The plan calls for 8m at MP - but I may drop that for something a lot shorter, or leave it out totally until I can get the body used to the increased mileage.

I'm contemplating doing the MP runs on midweek MLR's until I'm built up enough to handle them on the LSR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Plan called for 11, but I wanted to do some tempo miles, with an eye on the 10m race later this month.
    So cut the mileage to 8 - 2wu/3T/3CD

This weeks LSR should be 15m, but as I done 15 last week, I'll do 17.
    The plan calls for 8m at MP - but I may drop that for something a lot shorter, or leave it out totally until I can get the body used to the increased mileage.

I'm contemplating doing the MP runs on midweek MLR's until I'm built up enough to handle them on the LSR's.

I'm all for having a reactive plan constantly changing based on how your body is feeling e.g. if wrecked switch around a recovery run and postpone the session until the next day etc.

However at the same time, there are times when it may be better to stick to the plan too "the main thing" etc.

Maybe tonight was one of those?

You did put a lot of time into the plan and maybe the MLR was there for a reason?

Just need to be careful that you still keep structure/ key sessions in check while being reactive at the same time... (Long run, MP miles and lots and lots of easy miles.)

Just my own thoughts on it and totally feel free to ignore or trash me for it!

Lets get real, your plan is going to be nowhere near what happens is it? :D;)

Good man, maybe I just needed some cheese with my whine!

Compromised this morning.

15m with 4@MP.

Ave pace:7.54
    Ave HR: 148

MP miles 6.49/6.45/6.38/6.49

Legs very fatigued, not sore, just fatigued.

The plan next week is to stick to the plan. (& a more PMA)

Sun 11th

5.77m recovery run - pace 8.44/mile
    Nice ramble around the trails on the PP withe the dog.

Week 1 of P&D brings my total for the week to 54 miles - highest week ever......................:D

(and I'm not discussing the hurling)

Sun 11th

5.77m recovery run - pace 8.44/mile
    Nice ramble around the trails on the PP withe the dog.

Week 1 of P&D brings my total for the week to 54 miles - highest week ever......................:D

(and I'm not discussing the hurling)

Nice one on hitting the mileage!

cheers - felt it during the week and on the lsr. But I had done a hill session and a faster than planned MLR during the week - as well as an off plan tempo run - so no wonder I was tired.

Next week's plan is to follow the plan - the following week is the week of the 10m race so that'll be an off plan week too.

looking fwd to seeing how the legs feel on easy running Tues-Thurs - the planned tempo run on Friday will tell!

• Advertisement

Listen to your body and try not to be just hitting the numbers. I'm not running long but I learned that early on. I'm doing the 18 week P&D plan and its kicking my ass. A few times I didn't hit the plan for a number of reasons. It's tough even my coach thinks its intense. The plans are for hardened runners. Be prepared to be always tired! A little anyway or your doing it to soft. My advise is spend time working out the kinks if you can't afford to have a weekly session with a professional. I am convinced this is as important as the runner.

Monday 12th Aug:

Was well after 9pm when I got out for this run, - sometimes life gets in the way. Was going to knock it on the head and take a rest day - but that would have thrown the plan into chaos for the coming 2 weeks!

In the end, the run went very very well - one of those runs where I'd love to bottle the feeling & open it on Oct 28th.
    Included in this were 5 miles at about 10-20 secs above MP - I tried to slow down numerous times, but the pace felt good. Didn't wear a HRM on this run - so no idea of HR.

Plan was for 11 but due to late hour and darkness in PP - I called it a day at 9miles. Would have loved to run on for a few miles more.

9.15m @ 7.21

Tuesday 13th Aug

11.95m @ 7.45 pace.

Kept the pace fairly consistent throughout this one - again in the PP (I'm now at a stage where I think the tour guides in the buses passing by call me out as a feature of the PP).
    This run was obviously tougher than last nights but I can see the sense in the 2nd MLR being done the day after the 1st.
    Running on tired legs is obviously going to be a benefit.

Ave HR was 142 (max 156 - 86%)

Moving my rest day to tomorrow due to College stuff - panic stations on this front now!

Just read Peckhams log and it reminded me of something I wanted to add.

On Mondays run - I really focused on form - running tall, leaning slightly and powering the arms (something I never do). The result was a much more steady run at a faster pace - I did find it difficult to hold that form on a slower pace.
    As its not my 'usual' running style, it takes concentration to hold that form.

This is something I'll be doing more off to make it more of a natural thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just read Peckhams log and it reminded me of something I wanted to add.

In the Beer Mile - I really focused on form - running tall, leaning slightly and powering the arms (something I never do but want to make it a habit). The result was a much more steady run at a faster pace as opposed to a wing and a prayer - I did find it difficult to hold that form on a slower pace although I was listening to Janie's got a nun on my ipod.
    As its not my 'usual' running style, it takes concentration to hold that form, a girl I know tried this before and it nearly rector.

This is something I'll be doing more off to make it more of a natural thing.

FYP ;)

:) spewed my coffee............. (don't fix that post)

Thursday 15th Aug: 9m with 4T

Plan was for 9m with 4 at Tempo pace (as per P&D) week 2.
    A couple of cancelled meetings, with the fact that I was WFH gave me a great opportunity for this run.

Now - recently, me & Tempo runs haven't been getting along too well, I'm not sure whats happened, I dont think I ever loved Tempo - but I think its 'me' not 'them'.

I decided to do this run as a Fartlek type session on the loop between Furze & O.S Road in PP, as I knew I would struggle with the straight tempo (dont know why, its only 4 miles).

I done a decent warm up for this (1.6m) with strides and plenty of stretching. Wore the racers as well.

Finished the session with the tempo 'bits' as:
    1.63m@6.15
    0.88@6.12
    1.02@6.15
    0.5@6.20

for a total of 4.01m of Tempo pace with only small recoveries in between. Total distance 8.81m inc WU/CD.
    The distances were dictated by running to specific points (bollards/corners) - Possibly a bit fast as it was very humid out there.

Part of me feels that I need to be dong more tempos (2x2 / 3x2 etc) & long 1600 intervals than is present in P&D plan - in order to build up this apparent "weakness".

Open to thoughts & opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Part of me feels that I need to be dong more tempos (2x2 / 3x2 etc) & long 1600 intervals than is present in P&D plan - in order to build up this apparent "weakness".

Open to thoughts & opinions.

Jaysus you seem to be changing your plan as frequently as meno changes his jocks, i.e once a week ;)

I'm too fecking lazy to have a look back through your pages or read P&D so give us the jist of your plan.

Cheers TRR.

I think I'm indecisive - not too sure though.......
    Plan is attached.

My main 'gripe' is that I feel I've lost some speed endurance in the last 6 weeks.
    While doing the 10k/HM plan - I was doing great sessions and nice tempos.
    Now - I'm finding it difficult to hold a 20min tempo.

The Long runs are going well - I had 2 MLR this week (1x9m / 1x12m) - theres a few weeks like that in the plan.

My other gripe is that I dont think I'll manage PMP during long runs, so may do specific PMP miles midweek during a MLR.

I'm doing a long run with CL on Saturday in PP - so I'll talk to her about her plan - we're about similar levels based on past races.
    I heard her coach is pretty good.........

Let me know what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll probably see you on saturday too. You can get some expert advice ;)

If you are worried about speed endurance then don't go breaking up tempo runs, especially something as short as 4m. Just do it a bit slower if you need but get it done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cheers TRR.

I think I'm indecisive - not too sure though.......
    Plan is attached.

My main 'gripe' is that I feel I've lost some speed endurance in the last 6 weeks.
    While doing the 10k/HM plan - I was doing great sessions and nice tempos.
    Now - I'm finding it difficult to hold a 20min tempo.

The Long runs are going well - I had 2 MLR this week (1x9m / 1x12m) - theres a few weeks like that in the plan.

My other gripe is that I dont think I'll manage PMP during long runs, so may do specific PMP miles midweek during a MLR.

I'm doing a long run with CL on Saturday in PP - so I'll talk to her about her plan - we're about similar levels based on past races.
    I heard her coach is pretty good.........

Let me know what you think.

Why won't you manage pmp during long runs?? I don't get that mentality

Advertisement