Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

With regard to race week, I'm going to hope for a sub 65m display - I know in a standalone race with speed training, (or a longer aerobic base) I could knock out a 62.5x - but being realistic to where I am right now, I would be very happy with a sub 65 (nearly 7 min PB) in a year. If I get over 65 well then, that's where I am!

Thats a nice target for Frank Duffy ? Ill be happy with a sub 67min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Did he really say that? :D

@ meno, dude, you really are one of a kind! ;)

haha, I remember that now. I was trying to say i have been a bit injured for a year now but not enough to stop running 9there's a difference ;)).
    Unfortuantely I jinxed myself as I am really crocked now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Monday 19th Aug: MLR - 14.13 @ 7:54 (ave HR 138)

Happy to get this run done tonight, gives me more recovery time ahead of Saturdays 10 mile race.

I split this in 2 - 1st part was a 5 mile run in Porterstown with my running buddy - then left her home and went to the PP for the remainder - pause on the watch says it was 19 mins in between runs.

2nd part started well - I met a work colleague (Occasional Boards poster) and ran a couple of miles with him - great to make the miles tick by. Near the end of my run, my left hammy was feeling a bit funny, so shortened my stride - probably a reaction to the MLR so close to the LSR.

Nothing much else to report on the run - felt great to get 14m as an MLR 2 days after a LSR - only a couple of weeks back that was my LSR. The run felt comfortable which shows I'm getting stronger.

I've gotten into a good stretching regime following my runs, so hopefully will keep that going - but I haven't done much core work last week - maybe 1 session. Need to increase that as the miles increase.

In other news..........
    I awoke this morning with a bad pain in my ankle - I thought it was how I was sleeping so just iced it and thought no more about it. When I went to put on my new runners, the side of my runners was touching off the spot that hurt.

Looks like I'll be returning them and maybe going for the Saucony Glides instead (or the pink Mizuono's?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Pink Mizunos are well decent lad! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

In other news..........

Looks like I'll be returning them and maybe going for the Saucony Glides instead (or the pink Mizuono's?)
    Noooooo! What's with all the pink runners???? There was a guy at my running club tonight with the pinkiest pink pair I have ever seen! Man up you lot and start wearing men's runners!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 20th: Recovery run - 5:31 @ 8.26 pace - ave HR 129. Ran along some trails with the dog in the PP that I've not run before.

Wednesday 21: Rest day

Thursday 22: 7m @ 8:36 (inc 5x300)
    Done the 300's at 5k pace to get the legs turning over a bit. Ran the rest at recovery pace.

The Frank Duffy 10m on Sat will be my 3rd time doing it.
    The 1st race I ever ran was that same race in 2011 - when it went in kinda the opposite direction to the way it is this week.
    Finished in 76mins. 2012 was 72.01.

Looking fwd to doing it again. Out of all the DCM race series events - this is probably the one I'll keep in next years schedule.

Note for log -
    slight pain in my left shin last few days - between shin & muscle -plenty of ice.
    I've booked in for a rub down next week & will pick up new runners tomorrow. Will monitor going fwd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What's the plan for Saturday?? 65 mins or bust....

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's the plan for Saturday?? 65 mins or bust....

that's the plan. no excuses - either its there or its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

the form you are in and with the training you have done should be no problem. No pressure or anything :D..

It'll be no bother to you. Get your head right before you start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Gavlor = Mr. Motivator

mr-motivator.jpg

statss wrote: »

mr-motivator.jpg

He looks like a black blockic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    He looks like a black blockic :D

Why? Does he have pink trainers too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

6:30 pace easy for the mental arithmetic - give a good shot!

statss wrote: »
    Gavlor = Mr. Motivator

mr-motivator.jpg
    I'm beginning to see where the menfolk of Boards are getting their style inspiration from :pac:

Friday 23rd: 5m easy in PP (8:10 pace) with the dog.

Picked up the Saucony Guides today (returned the NB) - feels like a good shoe so far.

Legs feel fooked - knackered - fatigued - feel like I'm on my feet all day despite a desk job.
    typical night before a race feeling I guess.

Wifey & kids off to Boston in the morning, so they still in packing mode and will be till near 2ish I guess - just throwing that in, in the event of me needing another excuse.........

till tomorrow - to all the boardsies running who I've not met yet - you cant miss me, I'm the one in shorts and runners.

till tomorrow - to all the boardsies running who I've not met yet - you cant miss me, I'm the one in shorts and runners.

You forgot to mention the walking stick and packet of werthers originals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Don't fcuk it up. That is all

Best of luck tomorrow, don't go too mad on the celebrations just cos the cat is away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck tomorrow A. Give it socks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Best of luck RK

Hey ..you did it. Fair play on the sub 65!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Well done, good seeing you again.

Sat 24th: Frank Duffy 10 Mile:

Pre-Race:
    This was always going to be a tough one for me, more mentally than anything else. My last race in Clontarf, while a PB, was a heat fueled let down in the last few miles. My last 2 attempts at tempo runs were a bit 'off' as well.
    So 'race' confidence was a bit low, & then given that I wasn't entirely trusting of the 'High Miles/Easy Pace' plan (No real speedwork since early July).
    So going into this race with a plan of going 65 mins could spectacularly blow up on me and really knock the confidence.

Race Day:
    This ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7B5IHtUXFg ) a bit cheesy, but really got me going on race morning, I needed something to banish the demons.

Parked outside Farmleigh and was walking down and met Beeduybee, then bumped into Digger and Little Digger.
    Made it down to the start, said hello to Meno & the Stews (and some non boardsies who were running) did some warm ups and strides.

The Race - Mile 1-2

My strategy was to try to bank time (20-30 secs) before the hills and pick off people to race against - as this worked for me very well in the last race (5 miler - remember 'Orange Socks').

Was a bit too far back in wave 1 - but it was ok as I found my space etc fairly quickly. Found CL who was gunning for a similar time and tried to settle in behind, but she was setting a fast pace so I held back. 1st mile was 6:12. Mile 2 was 6:22.

Mile 3-4
    This was a long drag up an incline, tried to keep a few people in my eyeline - CL was up ahead, a Raheny guy was just in front (John F) and a few others from a club I didn't recognise who I heard talking about 65'ish. So these would be the pack I'd chase for the race.

Was happy at this stage - the breathing was good, I had people to chase - I had time in the bag for the hills.

Didn't take on any water at the 3 mile mark, kept plugging away. CL & the pack was coming nearer to me, there was a small gap ahead of them, so I didn't push on.
    Mile 3: 6:30 / Mile 4: 6:27 Was happy with that as I thought I might loose some time on that drag.

Mile 5-7
    We turned at Castleknock gate near the 4.5m mark and was all down hill for 2.5miles - so knew this was a good chance to pick up the pace slightly and bank some more time.
    Great crowds from the monument onwards - at this stage I passed the Raheny Shamrocks guy and was gunning for CL & the 'unknown club' guys - They also seemed to speed up.

Someone was counting the runners at this stage, the group I was in he was saying 225/226 etc - so this was a good motivator.

At this stage I noticed a lady in a purple top, breathing very heavy, I had noticed her earlier, but thought nothing of it, but she was motoring. Another target.

Kept the pace going, the racing was working for me - body felt strong and no lactate building & breathing was good.

Miles 5/6/7: 6:20/6:14/6:15

Mile 8&9

This is where the race would really start, I felt confident of the hills, having done a lot of my running there.
    Approached Military hill with vigour - pumped the arms and came in line with CL & Purple heavy breathing lady - only for them to push on again - at this stage, I really noticed the impact of the hills - it took more out of me than I anticipated - f€ck.
    I was thankful of the banked time.

I recovered around the S-Bends and made up a little time again, nice shout out from Meno - then came to the long drag of the Upper Glen Road. This wasn't too bad - although the legs were tiring big time - they weren't painful. A couple of people passed me at this stage - a 'Star of the Sea guy' and a couple of others.
    CL & Purple top lady were ahead - didn't think I had it in me to catch them.

6:37/6.36

Mile 10:
    Ok - most of the hills were done - just a little incline at furze - nothing to worry about.
    I tried to push the pace, felt like I was going to puke - so held off a bit longer.

With about 1000m to go I notice purple top lady (who I find out later is a F45 from Rathfarnam WSAF) move off and speed up - good look to her - CL goes too. $hit I think - chicked on my doorstep.

But then I remember the 5 miler, when Orange socks went early and it was too early - so I tried to pick it up a little and plan to make a burst with 400 to go.

At this stage Purple top was gone, she ran a super race - no catching her, but CL & S.o.t.s. guy & unknown club guy were coming back to me.

With about 400 to go, I risked puking and ran as fast as I could - taking one of the 'unknown tops' (turns out to be clonliffe H....doh!) & the 'Star of the Sea' guy down in the process.
    Coming to about 100-200 to go I pass CL - and keep going - felt like I was sprinting. Heard the announcer call out my name - felt good!.

Crossed the line and wanted to puke - retched for a few seconds - knew I had ran a good race.

Mile 6 was actually 6:26 - but as I ran 10:08 - the .08 is showing as 4:57 pace for the final 22 second burst!

Chip time: 1:04:23 / 209 position / 31st M40 / 7:30 min PB

Other Stats:
    1st 5k: 19:46
    2nd 5k: 19:41
    3rd 5k: 20:16
    final 1.21 in 4:39

1st 5m: 31:51 / 2nd 5m 32:09 (+ little bit at the end)

Post Race Analysis:
    I rock.

No seriously - this done my confidence a world of good, particularly in trusting the 'easy mileage' thing.
    From a mental perspective I had no demons today maybe it was because I was too busy racing people? Maybe it was due to the legs & lungs feeling strong most of the way around?

But it was the best race 'mentally' that I ever raced - if that makes sense. Roll on Athlone.

After Race:

Good to meet up with lots of Boardsies - wont name them as I'll miss out someone who'll trip me next time..........

Saturday PM: (race +2 hrs)
    - 6.10 miles with the running buddy, back down in the PP - hardly know that there was a race on earlier. Nice & comfortable 8:45 pace - went a bit further than I wanted.

Between the warm up, the race and the later run - a good 17.17 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sat 24th: Frank Duffy 10 Mile:

I rock.

+1 :D Well done RK

I'm going to ignore the fact that you drifted behind a chick, conserving energy, before usurping her at the finish and congratulate you on a great result :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done , great running, great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice writeup, great result. Rock on RK, rock on :)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hey ..you did it. Fair play on the sub 65!:D

It was only later after I'd posted this that I thought sh1t I hope I haven't ruined his race report ! So apologies if I ruined your big finale for your report. A friend texted me her chip time and it was that that triggered a thought to check how you got on.

A report which was a great read by the way. You really have a great knack of writing good race reports.Super running today again. Looking forward to catching up in Athlone.

• Advertisement

No bother, great to see people looking up my times!

Advertisement