Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Really enjoyed that and its great to see you're happy after your disappointment in the past few races. That's a fab time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fab report RK and great to read you've banished those Clontarf demons. Retching at the end is definitely a sign of a race well run...all that plan deliberation seem to be paying off ;) And yes you do rock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Fair play RK, maybe you should start trusting that training plan now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

pac_man wrote: »
    Just reading your log there,well done, that's some improvement in comparison to your start of year goals.Its gas looking at them splits, you must have been on my heels. Are you going for Athlone sub 85 half aswell?

ssshhhhh.............dont tell Meno, but thats the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done RK - cracking performance and great report too..

• Advertisement

Sunday 25th:

5 mile recovery run with my running buddy - thinking of getting her a number for DCM!

Was a bit shocked to see my monthly mileage at 197 miles - didn't think it was that high so soon - last highest month was last Sept at 184 miles.
    Legs a bit tender today, I'm a little worried about my left leg - Earlier in the summer, I had a mild dose of PF & heel spurs in my left foot, thats cleared up, then a bit of a niggle in my left hammy, now a 'feeling' in my left shin. Although during the race yesterday, none were there.
    Getting a sports massage on Monday, so hopefully get some proper advice.

The plan is still the plan - although with the family coming home on Sunday morning, I'll do my LSR on Sat and will forsake Fridays Tempo session & replace with some PMP's instead ('left leg' dependent!)

Feeling the luv for the 'easy' mileage now..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Regards the niggles etc. was wondering was it a good idea to do the evening run last night? I could hardly walk myself :) I know some people can do easy recovery runs later in the evening of a race but it's something I can't do. Have you done this before? Your injuries sound like overuse inflammation etc so might be worth bearing in mind. On that topic might be an idea to cut out doubles for a while just to increase recovery times between runs. If you have some inflammation even easy running is going to aggrevate it. As I said that's just my experience could be totally different for yourself.

Cheers TRR,
    Yep, do it after most race's.
    My mileage has shot up this month, I'm icing and wearing compression gear a lot.

Getting a sports massage from KO'N tomorrow, I'll get some advice there.
    Might reduce the mileage if the niggles persist post massage.

Appreciate the advice, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭aero2k

I recorded 64:51 in this race in '09, before going on to 1:25:00 for the half and sub 3 in DCM...just sayin'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

aero2k wrote: »
    I recorded 64:51 in this race in '09, before going on to 1:25:00 for the half and sub 3 in DCM...just sayin'.....

All ABOARD....

You could even draft behind CL again ;)

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »

thanks, I appreciate the added pressure - but just let me sandbag for a few more weeks............:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Forgot to say it to you Saturday, a buddy of mine recently joined the Civil Service Harriers who are based in PP, he's very happy with the sessions, good standard of runner at the club.

Gavlor wrote: »
    All ABOARD....

You could even draft behind CL again ;)

I'd only draft for the 1st 99.95% of the race -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Congrats RK on the great race and result Saturday! Only catching up now as was off the radar for a few days.

All guns blazing in Athlone now to confirm your sub 3 assault on Dublin.

Monday 26th Aug: Had a sports massage - had no idea how tight my shoulders were - my lower back (as usual) was tight.

My fear that I had shinsplints was unfounded, a small micro tear was noted and icing, compression, heat and ibuprofen all needed. But still ok to run on. She said go easy on the sessions though - all easy running...........I laughed.

Followed up with a 1 hour walk with the dog. I hate walking - such a waste of time.

Tuesday 27th 13.57m @ 7:38 pace.

Plan was for 12-14 at 7:40-7:50 pace: I kept it at the higher (or is it lower?) end as I felt very strong.
    1st 4 miles in Porterstown, then brought the dog home and ran down to the PP. (watch paused for 8 mins getting the dog home)

Ran from my house to the end of the PP and back - some good miles in there - had to keep scaling it back, although I tried to not let it drift faster than 7:30's.
    Average HR was 140 (77%) - which I am happy with given the pace.

Wearing compression gear (on the legs) to bed is the new 'in thing' - thank God my wifes away, dont think she'd understand - only 1 of us should be wearing 'stockings' in bed....ahem......

MTD: 211 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ha ha I regularly wear compression gear to bed. I reckon I sometimes look like an aerodynamic bobsleigh participant. This morning I put a pair of compression socks on and left them on for the day, just forgot to take them off. Don't know if it's related but when I ran this evening my calfs cramped right up. Had to scale run back big time and retreat back to house. Don't think this has happened to me before.

For the log record, not using P&D anymore, the Lydiard of Boards.ie is on the scene. (He's expensive though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Bunch of cross-dressers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

For the log record, not using P&D anymore, the Lydiard of Boards.ie is on the scene. (He's expensive though).

Why? And who is the "Lydiard of Boards.ie"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Wearing compression gear (on the legs) to bed is the new 'in thing' - thank God my wifes away, dont think she'd understand - only 1 of us should be wearing 'stockings' in bed....ahem......

MTD: 211 :eek:

RK, Next time we meet up in a race I'll be wonder whats under the shorts ;););)

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »
    RK, Next time we meet up in a race I'll be wonder whats under the shorts ;););)

Unless he targets sub 3 it certainly won't be a pair of balls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Ah Jesus, to much detail !!!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Why? And who is the "Lydiard of Boards.ie"?

I was starting to get niggles from P&D and felt that I'd be overcooked or injured by mid october if I continued. The 2 MLR's back to back are serious sessions - especially for an old man like me.
    I had a chance to run with a couple of people from Boards and they were following a different plan - so I've muscled in.
    Wont name the coach as he'll be inundated with requests :p - he can get a bit cranky.

I was starting to get niggles from P&D and felt that I'd be overcooked or injured by mid october if I continued. The 2 MLR's back to back are serious sessions - especially for an old man like me.
    I had a chance to run with a couple of people from Boards and they were following a different plan - so I've muscled in.
    Wont name the coach as he'll be inundated with requests :p - he can get a bit cranky.

I've been saying that for a year!!

Oh right totally understand. It's tough enough alright I hope I make the start line and cross the finish!

Wednesday 28th: Plan 6m @ 8:15+

5.76miles at 8:24 pace (ave HR 125) - its amazing how the body adapts to a running pace.

I found it difficult to find the slower pace, but after 2 miles was in sync with it - after 5 miles, I'd have found it difficult to speed up!
    Most of the miles were 8:15, time is down due to the dog wanting to spend extra time in the water down by the Khyber.

Had a good 30-35 mins stretching / core work / foam rolling / leg strengthening - going to make this a part of my easy/recovery days.
    Legs feel great tonight.

Plan for Thursday is 10 miles with 6-8 at MP. Will need to get these done early as my evening time is full up til 10pm.
    Having not done a MP session before I might keep it to 6 @ MP.

Other news: Bought Gerry Duffys book on 32 Marathons in 32 days - hard to put it down - inspirational stuff.

Also - anyone have any decent sites for ordering salt tabs & Gels (cant find Gu gels anywhere) - someone posted a link previously (maybe Blocky or Meno??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Other news: Bought Gerry Duffys book on 32 Marathons in 32 days - hard to put it down - inspirational stuff.

Also - anyone have any decent sites for ordering salt tabs & Gels (cant find Gu gels anywhere) - someone posted a link previously (maybe Blocky or Meno??)

I think your coach loves Gerry duffy, so I am sure he would appreciate a loan of that book once you are finished ;)

Can't help you on that website RK. I bought the salt tabs in Amphibian King Ballymount, they go by the brand name 'salt stick'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Bought Gerry Duffys book on 32 Marathons in 32 days - hard to put it down - inspirational stuff.

It's a hell of a read, isn't it? I'm just past half way and it's really mind-blowing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

wiggle.co.uk
    They do Gu gels, and "hydration tablets", which are fancy salt tablets AFAIK. Free delivery for non-tiny orders to Ireland too.

• Advertisement

I've a copy someone can have when I'm finished???

Advertisement