Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wednesday 28th: Plan 6m @ 8:15+

5.76miles at 8:24 pace (ave HR 125) - its amazing how the body adapts to a running pace.

I found it difficult to find the slower pace, but after 2 miles was in sync with it - after 5 miles, I'd have found it difficult to speed up! ...

Haha, how times have changed! RK going slow! :p Jasis, this coach is going to have a free night out on the 28th with the amount of people in his crew now! :pac:
    Also - anyone have any decent sites for ordering salt tabs & Gels (cant find Gu gels anywhere) - someone posted a link previously (maybe Blocky or Meno??)

Can't help ya on a site, I got both in The Edge in Cork. I'm down there this weekend, i can get you some and bring to Athlone for ya. PM if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just saw your post of FB, don't want to post this there....I really wouldn't go down the road of Nuun tablets etc...you have to pop them in water and let them dissolve which is basically quite difficult in the middle of a marathon ;).

With salt sticks (they are basically salt capsules) you just swallow them with water...so much easier both to carry and take; having tried both I would highly recommend above soluble tablets. Also 1 big tub of about 200 tabs will only set you back €20 and should last you for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

menoscemo wrote: »

Can't help you on that website RK. I bought the salt tabs in Amphibian King Ballymount, they go by the brand name 'salt stick'.

Are they the ones you can take without water?

Are they the ones you can take without water?

This is them:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B002IY96B0/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

They come in a gelatine capsule, look like an Antibiotic. Easier to swallow with water but no need to dissolve them.

Just saw your post of FB, don't want to post this there....I really wouldn't go down the road of Nuun tablets etc...you have to pop them in water and let them dissolve which is basically quite difficult in the middle of a marathon ;).

With salt sticks (they are basically salt capsules) you just swallow them with water...so much easier both to carry and take; having tried both I would highly recommend above soluble tablets. Also 1 big tub of about 200 tabs will only set you back €20 and should last you for years.

Just seen this now, yeah, I know. Used them in last years DCM and was a bit of a disaster, hence my interest in something that you don't need to dissolve.

But I do still take Zeros/ Sis etc before and after long runs and races. They have their place.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Other news: Bought Gerry Duffys book on 32 Marathons in 32 days - hard to put it down - inspirational stuff.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

25yuswsw28295.gif

+1, The salt stick capsules are the job, done in 2 seconds pretty much like panadol, compact and no messing about. I used them in Cork and I couldn't go back to anything else now.

^^^^ I laughed at PConn ^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ordered some new gels today off wiggle.co.uk - they are always reliable for me.

Thursday 29th Aug:

Plan was for 10m with 6-8 at PMP

1m warm up

PMP miles
    6:45
    6:41
    6:47
    6:29
    6:39
    6:45
    6:53 (0.5m)

2.5m CD

Bit of a strange run as I lost satellite coverage on the North road, which cost me 0.5m (thought I done 6PMP - turns out it was 6.5)

Also strange that the pace 'disappeared from my watch for a good bit of the run - the time was still moving and distance was still moving, but pace wasn't coming up??? A bit disconcerting, but kept going at what I though felt like MP, every now & then the pace would show.

When I plug it into Garmin & SportTracks - the splits and pace are showing - but I get different mile splits - ST are quicker so I've shown the Garmin Connect splits above as I think they are more accurate.

Nice session and delighted to get it done early in the day.

Actual: 9.92 miles
    Ave HR: 150 / Max HR 170 (last PMP mile)

• Advertisement

nice work. so how many PMP miles / sessions will you be running now with your new plan? feeling a bit guilty I choose the 10 miler over the 12 mile PMP session so I'll need to put them in somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

statss wrote: »
    nice work. so how many PMP miles / sessions will you be running now with your new plan? feeling a bit guilty I choose the 10 miler over the 12 mile PMP session so I'll need to put them in somewhere

Doing the P&D 16 week plan? I'm in the same boat and think I'll sneak in the 12M PMP on Monday. Should be nice and zippy after this recovery week :)

Doing the P&D 16 week plan? I'm in the same boat and think I'll sneak in the 12M PMP on Monday. Should be nice and zippy after this recovery week :)

good idea. yeah I'll have to slip them in to one of the mid week medium long runs perhaps.

typically, Tempo/MP runs are done on Thursdays - the MLR's are seperate.
    Not too sure on the progression of PMP's as I haven't seen the full plan yet.

The week after the Athlone Half, I have an entry for DCM Half, but I'll need to get the ok from the boss-man to do this at PMP - be a good session to get 13 PMP's.

typically, Tempo/MP runs are done on Thursdays - the MLR's are seperate.
    Not too sure on the progression of PMP's as I haven't seen the full plan yet.

The week after the Athlone Half, I have an entry for DCM Half, but I'll need to get the ok from the boss-man to do this at PMP - be a good session to get 13 PMP's.

that's my plan too. should still feel Athlone in the legs so it will be a good time to try a length PMP session

that's my plan too. should still feel Athlone in the legs so it will be a good time to try a length PMP session

That's my plan three!

4.5m recovery run today @ 8:41 pace.

Left leg didn't feel good. I've been icing etc for the last couple of days, and thought any discomfort would disappear after a mile or so, it it was uncomfortable for the whole 4.5m.

Going to write this weekend off and rest up. Maybe a recovery run Monday to see how it is.
    Aug will end on 230 miles. Highest mileage for me by a long shot. No wonder I have niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Left leg didn't feel good. I've been icing etc for the last couple of days, and thought any discomfort would disappear after a mile or so, it it was uncomfortable for the whole 4.5m.

Going to write this weekend off and rest up. Maybe a recovery run Monday to see how it is.
    Aug will end on 230 miles. Highest mileage for me by a long shot. No wonder I have niggles.

Man, I have only about 750 for the year, I know I should have more done but... Sometimes less is more. That's huge mileage for a single month

Yeah but you have natural talent, us mere mortals have to work hard!

Yeah but you have natural talent, us mere mortals have to work hard!

An almost empty bottle of Bordeaux would beg to differ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I'm also writing this weekend off due to niggle that's not normal soreness or tiredness - us old men have to tread cautiously

@ Paulie , good to hear from you, did you do the 10 mile in PP?

Gavlor, I'll see your Bordeaux (& a Chinese) and raise you 2 hefeweizen....

Good work!

Blocky can keep his 7up & meanies :D

@ Paulie , good to hear from you, did you do the 10 mile in PP?

No gave the 10 miler a skip - did a 10k and a mountain race the previous week - was feeling sick so did an 'easy' 20 miler instead. Never mind the marathon training - more important we're all healthy for Athlone :)

I'll be on your tail so.......

I'll be on your tail so.......

You'll be in front of me....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just read about your calf strain over on Gavlor's log RK, I had a calf strain during the summer and am also trying to increase my mileage like yourself at the moment. The thing that made the biggest difference to me is running on grass. I now do about 60% (with another 20% on the track and only 20% on the road) of my running on grass and it is so much more easier on the legs. Increasing your mileage puts a huge strain on your body and everything you can do to relieve some of that strain will help. If I remember correctly you live near or train near the Phoenix Park? If so I would do all my non session runs (including your long runs if possible) on the grass to give your body a bit of a break.

pconn062 wrote: »
    . The thing that made the biggest difference to me is running on grass.

Is that you Ming?

Classic.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just read about your calf strain over on Gavlor's log RK, I had a calf strain during the summer and am also trying to increase my mileage like yourself at the moment. The thing that made the biggest difference to me is running on grass. I now do about 60% (with another 20% on the track and only 20% on the road) of my running on grass and it is so much more easier on the legs. Increasing your mileage puts a huge strain on your body and everything you can do to relieve some of that strain will help. If I remember correctly you live near or train near the Phoenix Park? If so I would do all my non session runs (including your long runs if possible) on the grass to give your body a bit of a break.

Noted and filed.

Advertisement