Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

menoscemo wrote: »
    Is that you Ming?

The right comedian we have here! ;)

I'm like this guy on all my runs.

672.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

+1 to running on grass. I use to run at least 50% of my runs on grass but for one reason or another don't do anywhere near that now. My calf was acting up early in the week so switched back to grass and it helped massively. As well as being easier on the body from a surface perspective it also slows you down a little. You should definitely hit the trails in the PP. I rarely run on the roads in there. I love those trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

End of month Report:

Focus for August:

* Over 200 miles for the 1st time ever. = 231 :D
    * Highest week planned at 59m = 58m :D
    * Longest run planned at 18m = 18.18 :D
    * 3 Hill sessions as part of DCM training = 2 complete - :confused:
    * Frank Duffy 10 mile race - under 65 mins = 64:23 :D
    * Final project for MBA due in on 24th Aug = :D:D

Goals for September
    * Sub 1:25 for HM in Athlone
    * 3xLSR of 20-22m
    * Stay injury free (Plenty of Core & not putting in mileage target)
    * Run DCM Race Series HM at MP miles (as part of 20 miler)
    * End of MBA Assessment due end Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

End of month Report:

Focus for August:

* Over 200 miles for the 1st time ever. = 231 :D
    * Highest week planned at 59m = 58m :D
    * Longest run planned at 18m = 18.18 :D
    * 3 Hill sessions as part of DCM training = 2 complete - :confused:
    * Frank Duffy 10 mile race - under 65 mins = 64:23 :D
    * Final project for MBA due in on 24th Aug = :D:D

Goals for September
    * Sub 1:25 for HM in Athlone
    * 3xLSR of 20-22m
    * Stay injury free (Plenty of Core & not putting in mileage target)
    * Run DCM Race Series HM at MP miles (as part of 20 miler)
    * End of MBA Assessment due end Sept.

Impressive stats RK you are on fire at the minute :)

Monday 2nd Sept

Nice 4.5m recovery run - no sign of niggles from the calf. Done it all on grass (easy on the jokes :) ).
    Wore a calf support for 2 miles, just in case, then took it off.

1st half mile felt like I hadn't run in about 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Done it all on grass (easy on the jokes :) ).

Still chasing that runner's high?

Tues 3rd Sept.

12.43 @ 7.45 pace

Was a bit anxious about this one, it would tell a lot as to if the injury was gone or would it flare back up.
    I wore compression socks for the run, just to give it added protection.

I started out ok, the area were the injury was felt fine, but the back of the calf, same leg, felt tight (not sore, just tight) After 2 miles, I stopped to give the legs a good stretch, held each stretch for a good 30 secs - legs felt grand afterwards, still a little tight, but not as bad.

Kept the run on the trails/grass for about 90% of the time - I've never ran on the trail to the side of the North road - be a great place to bring the dog (no dogging jokes please :) ).

By mile 7 all the tightness had gone, legs back to normal.

By mile 10 I was wrecked - I had brought no water and it was hot out there, being on grass/trails felt harder too.
    Kept working, holding the pace.

With about 0.75m to go, I was very tired - so I thought it would be a great place to throw in some PMP. Held 6:45 back to the car.
    Spent another 10 mins stretching before going home.

2 hours later - stomach is in a heap - must have been dehydrated out there. (but legs feel great!)

Ave HR was 149 - I'm normally at 138-140 for the MLR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Tues 3rd Sept.

By mile 7 all the tightness had gone, legs back to normal.
    Happy days!

With about 0.75m to go, I was very tired - so I thought it would be a great place to throw in some PMP. Held 6:45 back to the car.
    Not sure how smart this was though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

+1 * 1,000,000

sorry boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Happy days!

POT....KETTLE?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Gavlor wrote: »
    POT....KETTLE?!!!

Ah now Mr glasshouse occupier :)

In fairness, I was on Grass at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

:rolleyes: ...Take it handy will ya after your niggles! Easy does it, heed your own advise and remember, getting to the start line fit and no injuries is no. 1

Other than that, good work! :)

Wednesday 4th: 6m Recovery - 8:50/mile due to dog tiredness issues!!

Thursday 5th:
    When I got the email on Monday with Thursdays run in it, I was like a kid before Christmas - was so looking fwd to it.
    2m WU/ 3PMP / 1R / 3PMP / 1R / 2HMP

Done the 2m WU - threw in some strides and stretching.
    3 PMP: 6:40 / 6:47 / 6:50 (pacing wasn't good - kept finding myself at 6:30's or quicker - which meant speed up/slow down session)
    1 Rec
    3 PMP: 6:30 / 6:47 / 6:49 (1st mile was mainly downhill with wind on 15 Acres)

As I came to the end of the 3rd mile - I felt a twinge in the calf - decided not to do the 2 HMP miles - so just ran 2 miles back.
    Leg was fine on the run back.

Total: 11 miles with 2x3@MP

Going to keep doing the stretching etc - rest day tomorrow.
    Will see how it is on Sat for LSR - if I do it it'll be at a lower pace (8-8:30)

This week has been an eye opener as to how much more 'difficult' it is to hit the pace on grass - I read somewhere that running on grass, you can add 10 secs per mile?? (must keep that in mind)

HR ave was 154 - but maxed out at 174 which is maybe a tad high. The difficulty in finding the 'pace' may have contributed to this.
    My resting HR has increased from 43 to 51.

WTD: 34 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Jesus, you're flying at the minute RK. Great to see your progress and that you're being (semi) cautious with the niggles....

One question...what exactly is your target for Dublin?

Some guys in here will have us believe that you're backing out of a sub 3 effort. And then you come out with the following:

1) Smash a sub 65 10 miler on a tough course and
    2) Include a session with a 2x3 "MP effort" at an average pace of 6:43 - corresponding to a sub 2:55 marathon:eek::eek:

So it's time to lay it on line RK. What are we to expect next???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ah here he flip flops enough as it is! No way we'll get a straight answer at this point in time :pac:

I don't really feel like I'm flying right now. I was happy with the 10 miler of course and the MLR's are going well. But the calf niggle is worrying me.

The 2x3 session is a handy enough one (at least it should be at this stage) - but my difficulty is keeping the pace at a consistent effort.
    The 6:43's were too fast due to my pacing issues - next time I'll aim for 7:00's and probably achieve 6:50's (target).
    The other lads doing 6/7 miles at HMP - now that's impressive. I dont think I could do that solo.

Previous to the 10 miler, I thought I was in for a 3:05-3:08 DCM. My plan was always to train for sub 3, but not commit to it until after Athlone (pending a 1:25).

I'm a bit worried right now regarding the niggles - hopefully the boss will give me a handy enough week in advance of Athlone on 14th to both recover and taper.

The other side of the 'Sub3' argument is that, once you realise you have a chance of a sub 3 (which I have) - anything higher than Sub 3 commitment could seem like a missed opportunity.

So - the next 2 weeks are crucial for me - ensuring my calf doesn't break down, keeping the training going, hitting the paces.
    Athlone HM is a milestone race - but its not the main thing - I need to remember that!

statss wrote: »
    ah here he flip flops enough as it is! No way we'll get a straight answer at this point in time :pac:

you might injured tomorrow if you keep that up. :D

I don't really feel like I'm flying right now. I was happy with the 10 miler of course and the MLR's are going well. But the calf niggle is worrying me.

The 2x3 session is a handy enough one (at least it should be at this stage) - but my difficulty is keeping the pace at a consistent effort.
    The 6:43's were too fast due to my pacing issues - next time I'll aim for 7:00's and probably achieve 6:50's (target).
    The other lads doing 6/7 miles at HMP - now that's impressive. I dont think I could do that solo.

Previous to the 10 miler, I thought I was in for a 3:05-3:08 DCM. My plan was always to train for sub 3, but not commit to it until after Athlone (pending a 1:25).

I'm a bit worried right now regarding the niggles - hopefully the boss will give me a handy enough week in advance of Athlone on 14th to both recover and taper.

The other side of the 'Sub3' argument is that, once you realise you have a chance of a sub 3 (which I have) - anything higher than Sub 3 commitment could seem like a missed opportunity.

So - the next 2 weeks are crucial for me - ensuring my calf doesn't break down, keeping the training going, hitting the paces.
    Athlone HM is a milestone race - but its not the main thing - I need to remember that!

7 paragraphs of NOTHINGNESS!! Have you ever considered a career in politics??

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    7 paragraphs of NOTHINGNESS!! Have you ever considered a career in politics??

In fairness, theres only 6.

In fairness, theres only 6.

Paragraph 2 could be construed as being 2 separate entities. One would hope that you aren't as negligent in the layout of your phd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

the calf niggle is worrying me

Go and see a physio asap and GET IT SORTED. There's no point dallying around having it not too bad but not quite right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Go and see a physio asap and GET IT SORTED. There's no point dallying around having it not too bad but not quite right

Defo! Book in with ecoli.

I had a rub down in late Aug (after the 10 miler) and I've an appointment with Mark Keanneally in Celbridge on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I had a rub down in late Aug (after the 10 miler) and I've an appointment with Mark Keanneally in Celbridge on Monday morning.

Good stuff, in my experience a calf strain requires frequent, aggressive work. If you can get three rubs in the space of 10 or less days it would be much better. I know there is expense involved in that but consider a price worth paying for DCM!

Saturday 7th Sept: 20m LSR.

Was a bit worried about this LSR having a negative impact on my calf recovery, but still decided to do it, at a slower pace than normal.
    Calf felt great on Fri & also early Sat morning.

1st 6-7 miles were on my own - that was OK - listened to MT going on about prep for Autumn Marathons - the importance of the Long run and all that. Was averaging 7:40's or there abouts for those miles, so maybe a bit faster than intended.

Circled back to the car park, just in time to see Statss hair approach.
    Off we went again - agreeing to keep the pace 20-30 secs slower for me and 20-30 secs faster for Statts - worked out well.

Miles flew by - a lot of the run on grass or trails of PP - didn't feel any of the fatigue I felt earlier in the week. Felt very strong actually.

At mile 13 I tried a gel - my normal gel is GU but I tried a Kinetica gel today - didn't need water with it - Cola flavour - and it went down very well. Must stop off in Elevery's for more during the week.

The calf was holding up very well, but I was happy to keep the pace easy enough. Statss was handling his quicker pace very well - I think he's sandbagging.

Finished up at 20.36 miles - Statss went off home for 4 more. Despite the little bit of rain, it was a quite enjoyable run.
    Still don't know if Statss was making a compliment when he said "you're pacey for your age" :p

Splits for the record:
    1st 5 miles: 7.47/mile
    2nd 5 miles: 8:20/mile
    3rd 5 miles: 8:17/mile
    4th 5 miles: 8:18/mile

Total: 20:36 @ 8:11/mile (ave HR 144) -
    interestingly, my max hr happened on 2nd mile (158).

Another positive note - straight out then for the girls GAA games. My u13's won convincingly and daughter#2 won as well. Lashed on though.

4-6 miles recovery tomorrow, physio on Mon then Roll on Athlone.

Leg is still feeling fine - convinced its better, but will still go to see physio as I've had a general weakness in my left side all year (heel, hammys, calf).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great stuff RK! See you in Athlone!

Sunday 8th Sept.

5.26miles @ 8:42 pace. (should've tagged on an additional 0.46 miles :) )

Up nice an early to bring 1st born to Camoige - forgotton what a lie in is at this stage.....
    Nice recovery run with the dog afterwards.

Highest mileage week for me: 59.54 miles, certainly doesn't feel like it - not bad for an old guy with 1 leg :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

that was defo meant as a compliment! more like "i'll be happy out if I am running at your speed when I'm that age....however far into the distance that may be :pac:

Advertisement